Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bike Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Lots active this morning. I'm surprised! I too thought it'd be the red locations going active first but thre are many more besides that. Looks very good and I'm looking forward to trying them out. If they had spots at the Crescent and the LEDP then I'd be sorted! Hopefully they'll set those up over the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Still no pack for me yet :(

Regged the 18/11,

Emailed them on Friday, hope they get back to me soon

maybe they prioritize people who live in the area of the scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

wX8UY0p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How long until one ends up in the river? Or how long will those reindeer decorations last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Mc Love wrote: »
    How long until one ends up in the river? Or how long will those reindeer decorations last?

I'd say the decorations might have a short lifespan alright but if one ends up in the river you're only fooling yourself as you'll get charged €150. If a scrote steals your bike you've to report it to the cops and to bikeshare.ie. It's covered in their FAQ: https://www.bikeshare.ie/faq-info.html
    In the event of the disappearance of a bike please call 0818 44 44 77 immediately to notify us of its disappearance, but in any event within 24 hours of the initial hiring you will need to report the loss/theft with the An Garda Síochána. You will need to obtain a copy of the report from the An Garda Síochána. If the bike is not recovered and the hire period concluded in the Bikeshare.ie system you will be charged the €150 security deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

squonk wrote: »
    I'd say the decorations might have a short lifespan alright but if one ends up in the river you're only fooling yourself as you'll get charged €150. If a scrote steals your bike you've to report it to the cops and to bikeshare.ie. It's covered in their FAQ: https://www.bikeshare.ie/faq-info.html

I would have said the same thing in Dublin, how long before they end up in the canal, but I think I remember reading that they only lost two bikes in the first year.

I had a wander around this lunch time, and tried to rent one at two different stations. The first one wouldn't recognise my PIN; there's a four in it, but when I pressed four, it either recognised one or seven (I don't have fat fingers!), so I gave up on that one.
    The second machine's touch screen appeared even more off line and I gave up on that.
    Just teething problems hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Are bikes available to use 24 hours a day, or is there a cut-off point, such as in Dublin (05.00am - 00.30am)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

luckyboy wrote: »
    Are bikes available to use 24 hours a day, or is there a cut-off point, such as in Dublin (05.00am - 00.30am)?

those are the exact times stated on their site. You can drop off bikes 24/7 but they are only available 5 am until 12.30 am as far as i can tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone go for a spin?

Anyone go for a spin?

Nah tried and failed. I did see people pit on them at about half four so they must be working now. You?

• Advertisement

Not yet! Might try one from Roches Street tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Looking forward to a spin, but won't make it to the city before the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Got my pack today. For anyone who has used the service so far, when do they take the 150 euro guarantee from your account? Do they pre auth every time you hire a bike?

Afaik, they only take the €150 if bike is not returned after 24 hours!

Afaik, they only take the €150 if bike is not returned after 24 hours!

Grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Grand :)

do they not check to see if you have that much in your account in the first place?

with dublin bikes as far as i'm aware if you use a debit card the 150 is put on hold and can take upto 7 days to be made available again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

dunworth1 wrote: »
    do they not check to see if you have that much in your account in the first place?

with dublin bikes as far as i'm aware if you use a debit card the 150 is put on hold and can take upto 7 days to be made available again

Is it not the same with all pre-authorisations. Never used a debit card for one, but on a credit card, it stays for 7 days as far as I now

Finally got spin on one today, they're kinda heavy by comparison to my regular bike, will take a small bit of getting used to. Dead handy for a spin up town at lunch time.
    I also cracked my shin against the yoke on the frame that locks it to the station. I'm smart me!
    I registered with a Visa Credit, so I didn't see anything of the pre-authorisation showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 nrsire

I don't know why these were introduced in Limerick. Within a matter of weeks they will be destroyed and vandalized by drunken undesirables ... Graffiti all over them or stolen or thrown in the river ... Limerick can't have nice things unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

nrsire wrote: »
    I don't know why these were introduced in Limerick. Within a matter of weeks they will be destroyed and vandalized by drunken undesirables ... Graffiti all over them or stolen or thrown in the river ... Limerick can't have nice things unfortunately.

People said the same in Dublin

• Advertisement

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    People said the same in Dublin

Limerick really is a different kettle of fish though isn't it. I'm not trying to be bad, I'm from Limerick and working in Dublin now. The type of people in Limerick city really is a lot different to the type of people in Dublin city.

I really do hope I'm wrong though, it would be nice to see Limerick have something nice last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Limerick really is a different kettle of fish though isn't it. I'm not trying to be bad, I'm from Limerick and working in Dublin now. The type of people in Limerick city really is a lot different to the type of people in Dublin city.

I really do hope I'm wrong though, it would be nice to see Limerick have something nice last.

What part of Dublin are you living in?

I lived for two years in Dublin city centre, and what I encountered is far worse than anything I experienced in Cork or Limerick (which are the other two irish cities I've lived in).

What part of Limerick do you come from, as a matter of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Aren't there people shooting heroin and fighting during the day in Dublin city center lol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Yea your right. Why even bother with the limerick 2020. Everything that is upgraded and done up will just get destroyed anyway. Sure why even go out in limerick or go shopping in limerick. The scumbags will just rob us. Why even bother going outside the front door just in case someone attacks us. Why buy a cool car or a nice house if the scumbags will just wreck it. Why even have a girlfriend or boyfriend or even get married. Sure they could just end up leaving us?

I hate this whole "we cant have <insert innovative idea> in Limerick because it will get ruined by scumbags"

Would you prefer that Limerick just stays as it is forever purely because someone might ruin a great idea. If a knacker ruins something then they should be locked up. Simple as that. If you see a crime then report it.

I was told last week by someone who has the same attitude as you, that they seen someone trying to rob a bike outside Debenhams a couple weeks ago. They said that they where watching it happen. The funny thing is that it never occurred to them to CALL THE POLICE!! I give out about the gardai not always doing their jobs but come on people this seems to be a common thing where we bitch about things like this and dont even try to stop it by reporting it.

I hope that this is a success and if it isnt im glad that it was tried out. I certainly wont be standing around saying "i told you so" regardless of the outcome

zulutango wrote: »
    What part of Dublin are you living in?

I lived for two years in Dublin city centre, and what I encountered is far worse than anything I experienced in Cork or Limerick (which are the other two irish cities I've lived in).

What part of Limerick do you come from, as a matter of interest?

Really? I have never seen the likes of the roughness in Limerick anywhere else in the country ... I feel the second I arrive in Colbert station there are druggies and alcos and rough types everywhere ... There is definitely the same crowd in Dublin for sure but I don't encounter them much, maybe because they get lost among the large population...

I live in Rathmines and work in Merrion Square, I grew up on lower Church Road Raheen near Mungret School :)

Mr.H wrote: »
    Yea your right. Why even bother with the limerick 2020. Everything that is upgraded and done up will just get destroyed anyway. Sure why even go out in limerick or go shopping in limerick. The scumbags will just rob us. Why even bother going outside the front door just in case someone attacks us. Why buy a cool car or a nice house if the scumbags will just wreck it. Why even have a girlfriend or boyfriend or even get married. Sure they could just end up leaving us?

I hate this whole "we cant have <insert innovative idea> in Limerick because it will get ruined by scumbags"

Would you prefer that Limerick just stays as it is forever purely because someone might ruin a great idea. If a knacker ruins something then they should be locked up. Simple as that. If you see a crime then report it.

I was told last week by someone who has the same attitude as you, that they seen someone trying to rob a bike outside Debenhams a couple weeks ago. They said that they where watching it happen. The funny thing is that it never occurred to them to CALL THE POLICE!! I give out about the gardai not always doing their jobs but come on people this seems to be a common thing where we bitch about things like this and dont even try to stop it by reporting it.

I hope that this is a success and if it isnt im glad that it was tried out. I certainly wont be standing around saying "i told you so" regardless of the outcome

I would love to see Limerick turn around for the better, here is hoping it happens! I hope I am proved wrong and the scheme turns out to be successful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Really? I have never seen the likes of the roughness in Limerick anywhere else in the country ... I feel the second I arrive in Colbert station there are druggies and alcos and rough types everywhere ... There is definitely the same crowd in Dublin for sure but I don't encounter them much, maybe because they get lost among the large population...

I live in Rathmines and work in Merrion Square, I grew up on lower Church Road Raheen near Mungret School :)

For some reason, the areas around railway stations the world over tend to be pretty bad. I agree that it's not great in Limerick, although it is infinitely better than around Connolly Station in Dublin.

The homeless and junkie problem in Dublin is far, far worse. They certainly don't get lost among the large population. And aggressive crime is almost out of control up there. Near you in Rathmines there was a lad left for dead just last week after being beaten up. It's a pretty rough area around there. Limerick is positively peaceful by comparison.

zulutango wrote: »
    For some reason, the areas around railway stations the world over tend to be pretty bad. I agree that it's not great in Limerick, although it is infinitely better than around Connolly Station in Dublin.

The homeless and junkie problem in Dublin is far, far worse. They certainly don't get lost among the large population. And aggressive crime is almost out of control up there. Near you in Rathmines there was a lad left for dead just last week after being beaten up. It's a pretty rough area around there. Limerick is positively peaceful by comparison.

I don't know about Connolly as I always arrive in Heuston which is a lovely station and definitely is a different type of crowd around compared to Colbert so I wouldn't say all stations tend to attract a bad crowd.

I agree Dublin is rough too but it feels a lot more concentrated in Limerick... just my opinion. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't know about Connolly as I always arrive in Heuston which is a lovely station and definitely is a different type of crowd around compared to Colbert so I wouldn't say all stations tend to attract a bad crowd.

I agree Dublin is rough too but it feels a lot more concentrated in Limerick... just my opinion. :)

If you simply get on the LUAS outside Heuston and head in either direction you'll find areas a lot worse than anywhere in Limerick pretty damn close.

• Advertisement

Dublin definitely has way more undesirables than Limerick. Everytime I go there I am accosted by junkies looking for spare change, sometimes in not the nicest ways.

I mean all the fast food places have full time security and have half doors in the bathrooms so they can flush out the junkies....

Advertisement