Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alaskan malamute

• 02-11-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

i no this aint the right place for it so move the tread if ye want i just couldent start a tread in the other pet forum...but anyway

im am wondering the average height and weight 14 month old male giant alaskan malamute...well he was sold to me as a gaint but on the papers it dont say gaint..but he is a big fella so far..he just ways over 35 kilos..not sure about his height..the vet said he aint over weight antway so thats good..but i was reading up on alaskan malamute and it said male s only weigh about 39 kilos fully growen but i cant see him only putten on 4 more kilos when they only stop growing at 2 years....thanks in advance for any of yer help:D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

There is no such thing as a giant Alaskan Malamute, same as there is no such thing a miniature jack russell. The parents were both big dogs bred to each other, despite the risk of orthopedic problems, and then the puppies were given a fancy title attached to their name to sell them. So be glad that he's within the reccommended weight as you have less chances of ortho problems with them being light. Mals weren't built to take much more weight than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Eh sorry to tell you, but there is no such thing as a Giant Malamute.

Dogs will always come in all different sizes and weights. The breed standard will give you a rough idea what size a Malamute is meant to be so anything around that is usually normal, some can be bigger or smaller.

Google Alaskan Malamute Breed standard and it will give you all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭waxer1986

Shanao wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a giant Alaskan Malamute, same as there is no such thing a miniature jack russell. The parents were both big dogs bred to each other, despite the risk of orthopedic problems, and then the puppies were given a fancy title attached to their name to sell them. So be glad that he's within the reccommended weight as you have less chances of ortho problems with them being light. Mals weren't built to take much more weight than that.

that i dident i know thank you...any more hints or tips ty

andreac wrote: »
    Eh sorry to tell you, but there is no such thing as a Giant Malamute.

Dogs will always come in all different sizes and weights. The breed standard will give you a rough idea what size a Malamute is meant to be so anything around that is usually normal, some can be bigger or smaller.

Google Alaskan Malamute Breed standard and it will give you all the info you need.

i did google it and he seems to be in the bigger bracket off the dog sizes soo far...ty for the reply

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

your dog seems to be on the right track weight wise, the second year of the powerful breed is usually about filling out the frame with muscle so dont be surprised if he ends up over 40kg. stick up pics of him id love to see as i adore these dogs :D

• Advertisement

waxer1986 wrote: »
    that i dident i know thank you...any more hints or tips ty

What hints or tips are you looking for?:confused:

your dog seems to be on the right track weight wise, the second year of the powerful breed is usually about filling out the frame with muscle so dont be surprised if he ends up over 40kg. stick up pics of him id love to see as i adore these dogs :D

iv no camrea at the moment sorry...ill try get a lend off 1 and do it for ya..cos im going to stud him out soon so have to take pics anyway for donedeal

What hints or tips are you looking for?:confused:

just in general anything to bulk him up and that..i normally go to the butchers once every 2 weeks get big bones and scraps and that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

iv no camrea at the moment sorry...ill try get a lend off 1 and do it for ya..cos im going to stud him out soon so have to take pics anyway for donedeal

You don't seem to know anything about the breed but you are going to stud him on donedeal? :confused:

You don't seem to know anything about the breed but you are going to stud him on donedeal? :confused:

asking people is learning man why so smart im trying to do research on all off it ya no...were eles would ya stud out a dog there dogs on there the whole time for stud

• Advertisement

Seriously? Why on earth are you going to stud him out? and Donedeal?? says it all really!!!

Please do a lot more research before you even consider breeding your dog as you dont seem to have a clue.

asking people is learning man why so smart im trying to do research on all off it ya no...were eles would ya stud out a dog there dogs on there the whole time for stud

If your dog was anyway decent you wouldnt put him near donedeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

He's being 'smart' because anyone who buys a dog they know nothing about and then wants to use it to make money on done deal generally wants to make a few quid and doesn't give a toss about dogs at all.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    He's being 'smart' because anyone who buys a dog they know nothing about and then wants to use it to make money on done deal generally wants to make a few quid and doesn't give a toss about dogs at all.

this dog is a pet and gets walked everyday...if he can make money aswell as bein a pet and the dog gets a bang in mean time wats the prob.. every1 wins no??

If your dog was anyway decent you wouldnt put him near donedeal...

give me somewhere eles to do it then any ideas plz....he aint gone be studed out till he s nearly 2 anyway heards thats the best wat to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

this dog is a pet and gets walked everyday...if he can make money aswell as bein a pet and the dog gets a bang in mean time wats the prob.. every1 wins no??
    Seriously? This would be a good place to start reading. It's linked at the top of this very forum ffs!

Malice wrote: »
    Seriously? This would be a good place to start reading. It's linked at the top of this very forum ffs!

jesus man who do ya think i am...my dog is a pet and well looked after..them pics on the link is ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The best way to do it is to have him neutered and not have any more back yard breeders adding to the population of dogs that end up in rescue.

You clearing don't have a clue. Please read up on Malamutes and you will see that are not the breed for anyone and leave the breeding of them to the experts who take time, money and effort to health test and show them to make sure that only excellent quality stock is bred from. They also only place them in suitable homes.

I guess all you are worried about is that you want him to be 'giant' to attract more clueless people to use him at stud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Malice wrote: »

jesus man who do ya think i am...my dog is a pet and well looked after..them pics on the link is ****ed

The kind of person you're likely to encounter on donedeal will see your 'giant', get him to 'bang' 3/4 bitches who will have pups who will be sold on for a few 100 quid.

As soon as the bitches have pups they'll be good to go again and will be 'banged' by another dog and the process will go on till theyre fuc ked and are killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think you're a person who needs to read up more on dog breeding. The fact that your dog is well looked after is immaterial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Guys, I don't think anything is going to be achieved by attacking the OP - he needs to be educated, not driven off the forum with a "screw them" attitude.

Waxer, a lot of the people on this forum are actively involved with rescues and breeding is a very emotive topic to us, as you've seen first-hand. We see the number of unwanted dogs in Ireland and a large proportion of these should never have been bred in the first place. So forgive us if it seems like we're having a go.

First things first - a dog should only ever be bred because it's an outstanding example of its breed standard. Not because it could make you a few bob or so the dog can get a "bang".

So, how do you know if your dog is a top example of its breed? You show it. If it places consistently, then you'll know it's a good example of the breed, and you'll generally end up with other showers enquiring about whether you plan to stud your dog.

What next? Health testing, Breed standard isn't enough. If you're serious about breeding your dog, you should test him for genetic health issues first. I'm not overly familiar with Mals, but we'll take the Boxer as an example - if you were planning to stud a male Boxer, you would test him for hip & elbow dysplasia and cardiomyopathy.

So, you've done all this, what happens next? The potential dam should have all the same testing done.

All of this costs money, which is why responsible breeding should never be seen as a potential cash cow.

You haven't told us where you got your dog. From what you've told us, and I'm not having a go at you, but I'd wager that you bought him from Done Deal or some other classified site yourself. Is he IKC registered? That, in itself, is not a guarantee of health/quality, but if he isn't, you won't even be able to show him in the first place, which renders all of my advice above moot.

Puppy mills aren't the only form of irresponsible breeding out there. Back-yard breeding is just as big a problem, and very few people who engage in it would consider themselves as being cruel to animals in any way. They love their pets; but that doesn't negate the fact that they have no business breeding their dogs.

Read up a lot on showing your dog. Read up on what's involved in being a responsible breeder. Read up on back-yard breeding. And please, please, consider just leaving your dog as a family pet. Love him, spoil him, but don't breed him, unless you can be 100% honest with yourself that you're doing it for the right reasons.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

OP, unless you hipscore and have your dog checked for genetic health issues, then please do not breed him. Neuter him as soon as you can. And do not advertise him on Donedeal, it is rife with puppy farmers and backyard breeders. Just please think about this. You love your dog, they are a beautiful breed, but how will you feel if you find out a pup bred from your dog if being bred to death/used a bait dog for fighting dogs/ ends up dumped in the pound (if he's lucky) or ends up being simply euthanised because the person who gets him cant handle him?
    I have an akita, he's a big boy (already beyond the breed standard), healthy etc, but I had him neutered. The akitas are still somewhat rare, but the sheer amount of them I have seen in the pounds and rescues is just horrifying. I neutered him because I could simply not add to that in good conscience, knowing what some people can and will do to dogs.
    Please consider neutering him, it will make his life expectancy longer and will almost eliminate the risk of most cancers male dogs suffer.
    The fact that his parents were bred as 'giants' would make me very wary of what ortho problems, and other genetic problems they may have passed on.
    Anyone calling them giant alaskan malamutes is a backyard breeder and it is unfortunately highly likely that your dog will have some problems down the line, and can easily pass on genetic health problems. So please, do not breed him, and if you are hoping to, then do it properly. Show him, get him seen by a breed expert, have him healthtested and only when he has proven himself as an excellent example of the breed, then you should stud him. If he isn't, then please neuter him.

Just because you own a pedigree dog, it does not give you the right to make money out of him.

If he is a pet then leave him a pet, not a money making machine.

To be honest, i doubt your dog is bred very well if he was sold as a "giant" Malamute. :rolleyes:

Only excellent quality dogs should be bred from and only when they have been proven excellent in the show ring and then health tested for all the breed problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

And as usual another thread descends into chaos.
    Theres at least 4/5 users I could infract/ban for breaking the "stop soap boxing" rule which by the way is what most of you lot did when you lot went on about backyard breeding etc.

Asking for infromation about stud dogs is against the rules and always has been so this thread could have ended 14 posts ago and none of you would have had to respond to the op.

Why could users not report this thread instead of responding to trolls.???
    Same old question I ask every time a thread like this comes up.

Its my belief that either the OP is trolling and trying to wind you lot up or is completely uneducated regarding breeding his mal in which case he should go elsewhere for information on breeding.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement