Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good camera phone for 150 euros?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 3:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent camera phone for about 100 quid? Second hand is OK if it's in good nick. I don't especially want a smart phone but a touch screen would be preferable.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's a good price for an LG Renoir or anything comparable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

N82

you wont get a touch screen with a good camera for 100eu

certainly not the quality of a N82

Any opinions on the LG-P500 Optimus ?

Think I need to go to at least 150 if not 200. Any suggestions in this bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Nokia N8 has a 12mp camera on it, quick look on adverts i see one for 200euro so you might get one less than that. Touchscreen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I've an N8, and it doesn't just have a "good" camera in it, it has the best camera, by a long way, that you can get on the market.

Here's a sample: http://a.yfrog.com/img611/7848/0r5d.jpg (way too big to put in-line)

This phone has been out a year now, so you'll start to see off-contract ones now. Under €200 is a good price if it's in working order - make sure you update the software, though, and check out the threads here for details about improved photo and video capture options.

Downsides on the N8 are largely software-based, and being improved. You'll get at least another year of major software updates out of Nokia too, which is pretty decent.

the n8 is well and good but the symbian it uses will be a relic soon sadly, not sure if i would spend that much.

one of the reasons i moved to a galaxy, was going to get a n8 but for symbian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

LG optimus 7 has a decent 5MP camera with LED flash. It also is generally a good phone running windows phone 7.

around the €210 mark on amazon

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B0049I4EFG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1320451873&sr=8-2&condition=new

(select price-guard as seller) Shipping is €20-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get a Samsung Wave S8500 - not the newer dels, the original discontinued one (the screen and buld quality is a lot better):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+s8500&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wave+s8500&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awave+s8500
    Or follow the link on that page to one of the used ones for even less.

I have one and it is a terrific phone and the camera is very good. You get a phone with iphone 4 like build quality and hardware for a small outlay.

• Advertisement

Those N8s looked really nice but I they were selling for 350-600 euros anywhere I looked. Well, I could have ordered one from China but there was no guarantee I'd have it in time.

I got an LG Optimus black in the end for 190 which should be delivered today.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

the n8 is well and good but the symbian it uses will be a relic soon sadly, not sure if i would spend that much.

one of the reasons i moved to a galaxy, was going to get a n8 but for symbian.

"soon"? Symbian will be supported until 2016. That's over four years from now: how many phones will you go through in the next four years?

By the way, Symbian's UI has changed radically in the 12 months since you got your Galaxy S... the Belle release (out now on new phones, coming to N8 by end of year) is a much nicer experience - just shows what happens when Nokia give the job of designing a UI to their designers instead of their product managers...

@pickarooney : there's no guarantee that those Chinese "N8" phones ever saw the inside of a Nokia factory either... there are a lot of fake Nokias floating around. You were better off not taking the chance.

Enjoy your new phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

You could also try the Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play for €143.10, as discussed on Bargain Alerts here. There's a review on GSMArena here which mentions the below about its camera quality.
    In terms of image quality, the XPERIA Play camera is not the best 5 megapixel camera we've seen but it isn’t half bad either. It doesn't resolve as much detail as the best of business, but colors and contrast are fine and noise is kept to reasonable levels. If you are not pixel-peeping and you’d use your shots without any cropping, the XPERIA Play offers a generally nice camera.

Advertisement