Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd situation - any advice??

Options
  • 02-11-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi sorry for the long post in advance!!!

I am just wondering what to do in relation to a window fitter that I think may be trying to scam my mum… this guy called to our house on referral from a roofer (who had just done repairs). My mum was after a quote as she thought she may be entitled to some sort of grant under the warmer homes initiative - I have looked into this and it is closed for the year in our region. So, the guy left a booklet and a price - took no deposit and my mum didn’t sign anything. Anyway, it turns out that the guy ordered the windows the day he visited our home and called a few days later looking for part payment. My mum was a bit distressed and said that she had not ordered any windows but was just looking for a quote…she said she had not signed anything and the guy said that she did.

I wasn’t there on the first visit but was at home the next time he called over and I went looking for this so called ‘contract’. I couldn’t find it, I found the booklet/brochure but nothing that had my mums signature on it. He said he had a copy, I asked him to produce it and he said he did not have it with him at the time. I said that we had not intended on hiring him for definite but was just looking for a price, he said that my mum had said she was happy for him to do it. My mum said this was correct but she did not ask him to order any windows. I was extremely frustrated with this guy taking advantage of my elderly mother. This guy was harping on about how he would have to pay the window suppliers and he would be out of pocket coming up to Christmas and that he had 2 kids and a mortgage to pay…he later let it slip that his daughter was getting married next year (so he is clearly not paying for her school uniform every September as you would assume that she is old enough to provide for herself….). My mum became up set when he mention small claims court and agreed to sign a new ‘contract’- looked like an invoice with a few numbers on it. I was against this but it was out of my hands, she said that she has to get windows in anyway and if they are ordered well then it’s done….I was fuming! There is so much more that went on… his rudeness and general behaviour, threatening at times then as nice as pie other times… in my mums own home to pressurise her like that was a disgrace.

Any way, a 100euro deposit was paid and he said he would take the rest of the payment in instalments…

Yesterday a massive weatherglaze delivery truck turned up and unloaded all the windows. The window fitter guy arrived on as well as the delivery guy. He took my mum’s cheque of 2000euro and brought it out to delivery man and came back in minutes later stating that they could not accept the cheque as it was a ‘bad’ cheque. They said that my mum had a ‘code 4’ credit rating and that the ‘german’ bank the company dealt with could not accept it only cash or visa or bank draft. None of this was passed on to my mum prior to this. She again became very upset however there was nothing they could do. I freaked out at them! Where was the evidence of this, how could they do a credit rating in the space of 3 minutes if even!! It was very early when they called half 8 in the morning and as such my mum’s bank was not open…so the delivery guy said that he would accept cash etc. and I said what about laser and the window fitter guy said that he wasn’t sure if a visa card would allow a transaction of that size….I really was speechless. The delivery guy packed up all the windows and left. The window fitter guy stayed. I rang the bank at half nine on behalf of my mum and told them the situation…they said it was ridiculous, that the cheque was fine, there was well enough funds in the account and couldn’t understand why this was the case…the window fitter guy went onto the phone with the bank re the credit rating…my mum then went into the bank to get a bank draft…and the window fitter chauffeured her. Today the guy came back, no sign of the massive delivery truck just a regular van and 2 guys to fit the windows….I checked his VAT number on EU website VIES - came back as invalid, and the company has no website, but the addresses are not consistant. Any ideas? Can VAT number from VIES be wrong,…. What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

sound like conmen.
    will probably do a half arsed job, and sell you a bit of carpet and tarmac at the same time.
    should of told them where to go the first time.
    now youve handed over the bank draft, i doubt there is any comeback,
    they will never answer any of your queries.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Total Conmen! Its a horrible situation, but this guy will be back for the remainder of the payment.. is there anything I can do with regards to the invalid VAT number on the invoice? report them to revenue or the NCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

you could report them to the revenue, but as you prob dont have any concrete details on them nothing will happen.
    make sure the job is complete and satisfactory before any further or final payment is handed over.
    also ask them if they will give a discount as the vat details are invalid.
    they are chancing their arms, so chance yours.

you could maybe get a glazier out from a proper company to " give you a quote" and see what they say about the windows just installed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

call the police IF he ever comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Definitely report the whole issue to the Gardai ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Can you get in touch with the roofer and see what he has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

bank draft can be reversed, especially if he was threatening and pushing to get this. contact the bank asap and cancel it. then contact gardai and revenue and report this. get as much proofs as you can from then, in case you have to fight them in court. think about little details such as registration number for the truck or any other car (maybe there's a cctv nearby)
    I'd treat it as a con and report it to guards immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Gardai and solicitor tbh,

Sorry for your trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

thats basically extortion which the Gardai will treat seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As above, first see if you can cancel or freeze the Bank Draft and then talk to the Gardai and then a solicitor.

If they can do nothing make sure that the job is done correctly - I would even see if there is a reputable window fitter in the area who could check it all out before you pay the balance - you will have to pay for this and eat some humble pie but its worth it for piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

First contact the bank, then the gardai, its horrifying to think that this still happens. No body calls offer to do work, sure they might send through a leaflet but a bloody 'contract'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The credit score thing is all lies also as you must give your permission for your credit rating to be looked at.

Advertisement