Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forte Retail Park Junction (Letterkenny)

Options
  • 02-11-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to post another thread regarding junctions in this county but this one deserves special mention.

For anyone unsure where i'm talking about its the new junction/roundabout at new Dunne Stores (Home base/Smyths etc etc)

Anyway its very clear that some blind ignorant idiot broke into the planning office and played silly beggars on the autocad.

They had a relatively well laid out entry system with a filter lane from the Canal road side and an entry lane from the roundabout itself. A few weeks ago they decided to fúck it all up and claimed it was done in order to add a pedestrian crossing (which was/is badly needed) Anyway now the filter lane (which hasnt been opened yet and i'm willing to bet is because its downright dangerous) is cut off by the entry lane from the roundabout and where there used to be two lanes running into the carpark there is now one and the other has been changed to an exit lane.

Its confusing as hell and dangerous. I seen a car enter from the roundabout last weekend and drive in the now exit lane without realising it had been changed. There was no other car coming out but there could easily have been.

The pedestrain crossing could just as easily have been put in leaving the lanes as they were. They've made a complete balls of things as usual and i can guarantee all it will do is create a back log onto the roundabout which will probably in turn effect traffic exiting the retail park.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

agreed....should be fun leading up to Christmas !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ah now now, i'm sure they'll be done for christmas, just not sure which one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Is there now 3 exits lanes?

And one entry lane? Where the filter land and roundabouot entry lane meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Won't even be going into that joint for the next three months. Need to bring a packed lunch it takes that long to get out again! Need two entrance/exits into that place, same as the shopping centre needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

salonfire wrote: »
    Is there now 3 exits lanes?

And one entry lane? Where the filter land and roundabouot entry lane meet?

No there is still 2 exit lanes, but one of the exit lanes has now been extended over as far as the central divide which splits the lanes which run down as far as halfords.

The filter lane is now effectively gone as you have to stop at the end of it to join the lane entering from the roundabout. In the past there was 2 entry lanes over as far as the central divide now there is only one.

Its just like everything else there was no forward planning when the retail park was built, they have entry and exit lanes from a now large retail park entering onto a pathetic little roundabout that has already has 3 major junctions on/off it.

There should be an exit road at the rear of halfords/smiths that exits opposite the riverside retail park (where Stateside is)

Smyths opens this saturday, if you dont want to get caught in MAJOR traffic jams, avoid that area of the town completely this weekend.

I'm hoping that because they havent opened the filter lane they've realised its nots going to work and they've gone back to the drawing board to try and solve the problem they've created!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Heard today from a friend that works in dunnes that the road beside divers hyundai is being connected up to the back of the retail park at halfords could be bs though!
    It would be pretty crazy if they made it one entry lane in a retail park that's pretty much doubled in size in the last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I was a tad shocked to see 6 yes 6 different sets of traffic lights on the roads leading onto that roundabout there this evening. I think they are all pedestrian crossings (there aren't turned on so I don't know for sure). The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It just goes to show the complete and utter ignorance of those in the county council. I can guarantee that those lights and all the new high grip surfacing along with the <SNIP> screwing up of the filter road from the canal road side will have cost anything from 250,000 to 300,000 and there was absolutely no need for any of it. There are very few pedestrians in that area and certainly not enough to warrant 6 sets of lights, all that was needed was a zebra crossing from Dunnes stores to Clarkes/sandwich Co area, nothing else. Traffic backs up big time as it is at weekends, can you imagine what its going to be like now with ridiculous lights everywhere and the effective removal of the filter lane.

Lastly i really hope the new lights are not similar to those over near Kellys honda (old premises) which change to red randomly themselves when there are no pedestrians in sight!

Mod edit: You can get your point across without the use of swear words. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Went through that junction for the first time in ages the last day..

Someones gonna get hurt or worse, how badly planned can our roads get?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Right enough, its a bit of a joke. I went past divers garage today and went into the slip road as usual to enter the new Dunnes. You now have to stop at a junction to give way to traffic coming off the roundabout. People coming from the direction I was on will now avoid the slip road and access Dunnes from the roundabout for handyness making a mockery of the entire project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

CJC999 wrote: »

Lastly i really hope the new lights are not similar to those over near Kellys honda (old premises) which change to red randomly themselves when there are no pedestrians in sight!

Them Lights are more for traffic calming than pedestrian crossing the ones at retail park will be pedestrian only i presume!

Advertisement