Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Limerick Run May 6th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

And yeah Ger just checked out the prize money. That's impressive for the 6 mile race. :eek:

Decent prize money for the 6 mile race. Strange that they have more than halved the prizemoney for the Marathon. After getting a decent standard up front last year, first prize this year will rule out any international athletes coming over as it wouldn't cover the cost of a flight.
    As for the walkers: some of them actually jog / walk. Others tend to stick together and couldn't care less about the runners coming from behind. They are also a serious nuisance to any wheelchair competitor.
    I was at the finish last year and there was a good atmosphere. Can't comment on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I ran the 6 , 2 years ago when i was just starting off, and enjoyed it. I ran the 1/2M last year and found it really congested in a lot of places, but it was a lovely day, as others have mentioned, the 'goodie' bags were a let down.
    Was looking at the marathon distance this year, but the price on top of a guaranteed increase in congestion has stopped me signing up. Just spotted last week,that there is an inaugural marathon of the lakes in Killarney around the same time, less than 1/2 the price (30e) and the course looks lovely.
    Signed up for it and looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Just wondering if there are many around here doing this?

After reading back over the previous few posts I can see why people wouldn't but having signed up for the full a long ways back I'm going to proceed as planned.

As I understand it a few of the pacers are from Boards.

Any info on the 4 hour pacers for the full? Please say it ain't Meno ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

dev123 wrote: »

Your safe :D

4.00 pacers, MR SLOW - Runningcoach - OISIN11178

Most of the pacers are from here yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha, I'm pacing the half myself this year.

well if you think I go on a bit wait until you hear this lot :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian. Thats a weight of my mind :pac:

I've met Mr. Slow after DCM in McGrattans, Runningcoach paced me around (part) of the Six Mile Bridge 10k on the hottest day of the year last year and I think Oisin11178 paced the Wexford Half with Meno last year.

Glad to know I'll be in safe hands

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I'm going to give the half a go again this year. I had hoped to run the full but my knees dictated otherwise. It just gives me more time to prepare for next year :D
    All going well I'm hoping for around 1.45ish. I'm not sure are there 1.45 pacers ?
    AFAIK the nearest to that are 1.40 & 1.50 pacers. So maybe I'll hover in between them.
    Should be a good 'un. Fingers crossed the snow stays away eh !!

I'm going to give the half a go again this year. I had hoped to run the full but my knees dictated otherwise. It just gives me more time to prepare for next year :D
    All going well I'm hoping for around 1.45ish. I'm not sure are there 1.45 pacers ?
    AFAIK the nearest to that are 1.40 & 1.50 pacers. So maybe I'll hover in between them.
    Should be a good 'un. Fingers crossed the snow stays away eh !!

yeah the half pacers are in 10 minute divisions. 1:30, 1:40, 1:50 and 2 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Please say it ain't Meno ;)

Jesus Meno, what did you do to this poor guy?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 isogel

Does anybody know who is pacing the 3 hour mark for this marathon ... Mick Rice did the pacing last time and i must say did a brilliant job too ..

• Advertisement

Mick again, another to be confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm in for the half, going to help pace 2 mates to the end line and just enjoy the race.................well apart from the price:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

menoscemo wrote: »
    yeah the half pacers are in 10 minute divisions. 1:30, 1:40, 1:50 and 2 hrs.

Any idea who's doing the 1:40 slot?

RedB wrote: »
    Any idea who's doing the 1:40 slot?

Yeah Brianderunner plus another fella (non Boardsie) are down for 1:40.

The majority of the pacers are from Boards so make yourselves known as Boardsies on the day, Meno will have dictated the pubs we're going to after the race by then so you'll all be welcome to join us.:)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The majority of the pacers are from Boards so make yourselves known as Boardsies on the day, Meno will have dictated the pubs we're going to after the race by then so you'll all be welcome to join us.:)
    I'm surprised meno hasn't been by with suggestions. Ye seemed to have a good night last year. Where did ye end up? The Locke Bar would definitely work if the weather is good. Decent outdoor section out the front. Hopefully it will be pint bottle weather.

I'm surprised meno hasn't been by with suggestions. Ye seemed to have a good night last year. Where did ye end up? The Locke Bar would definitely work if the weather is good. Decent outdoor section out the front. Hopefully it will be pint bottle weather.

We went to the Locke Bar last year as that is where the official Party was. I see the after party is in the same place again this year. so no need to change I suggest?

We went to the Locke Bar last year as that is where the official Party was. I see the after party is in the same place again this year. so no need to change I suggest?
    Sounds good to me. Locke bar it is so :-)

The Locke is a good spot, not as good as it used to be but it will do for a start! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The Locke is a good spot, not as good as it used to be but it will do for a start! ;)

Locke was great last year. We tried to move on to Molly's but it was too crowded so headed for the hotel bar. Same plan this year i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

When do entries close for this, I'm being encouraged to roll over my training ;o)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    When do entries close for this, I'm being encouraged to roll over my training ;o)

There's no mention on the website so I guess you can reg right up to the event.

Limerick is a tough enough Mara course, the worst hills are all in the last 6 miles (3 of them). Would you not consider Kildare instead (or cork). Kildare is the week after Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Somemorris

Limerick is a tough enough Mara course, the worst hills are all in the last 6 miles (3 of them).

This will be my first marathon :)

I've ran most of the Limerick course over the last few months, you're right, there are quite a few pulls towards the latter part of the route.

To put a number to it; does anyone know what the elevation gain is over the course?

The last 6 miles is were the marathon time is won and lost ... really tests just how fit u were going into the marathon.. with hitting the wall..

isogel wrote: »
    The last 6 miles is were the marathon time is won and lost ... really tests just how fit u were going into the marathon.. with hitting the wall..

Jesus, you're making me nervous! :eek:

sorry about that mr slow .. how is your training going for the marathon..

sorry about that mr slow .. how is your training going for the marathon..
    I hope his training is going well enough for a sub 4. If it ain't there will be no pint for him in the locke afterwards ;-)

Sounds like you have a little race on your hands there dev123... and a few pints after to re-hydrate afters ha ha ...

Sounds like you have a little race on your hands there dev123... and a few pints after to re-hydrate afters ha ha ...
    Mr slow is pacing the 4 hour group so I hope to beat him over the last 100 yards :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Am allegedly doing the half. Haven't run more than 18km at a time since the 2011 Barcelona marathon. This is going to be fun :)

Advertisement