Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Limerick Run May 6th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

isogel wrote: »
    sorry about that mr slow .. how is your training going for the marathon..

I'm just messing with you ;), this will be my first marathon pacing gig so I'm looking forward to it and to all the pints Dev buys me afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 isogel

Ah sound Mr Slow :cool:... i hope u get on ok with the pacing the 4 hour marathon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Anyone know if you can collect the number the morning of the race?
    Haven't signed up yet but collecting the number the day before adds a night in a hotel to the cost.

acurno wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can collect the number the morning of the race?
    Haven't signed up yet but collecting the number the day before adds a night in a hotel to the cost.

I don't think you can collect in the morning in fact I'm pretty sure that you can't. Do you know anyone in Limerick who could collect it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Anyone aiming for a sub 1.45 in the half ? Let me know if you are and we'll see can we pace each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I don't think you can collect in the morning in fact I'm pretty sure that you can't. Do you know anyone in Limerick who could collect it for you?

This is the confirmation email I got back from the organisers
    Thank you for registering for the 2012 Great Limerick Run which will take place on Sunday May 6th.

Please print off the attachment and bring it with you to the registration desk at the Great Limerick Run Expo.
    The Great Limerick Run Expo will take place at
    The South Court Hotel:
    On Friday May 4th from 2:00PM to 8:00PM and Saturday May 5th 2012 from 11:00AM to 6:00PM.

Problems or queries should be directed to the Help Desk at registration.

THERE WILL BE NO RACE NUMBER COLLECTION FACILITY ON RACE DAY

Regards,
    EventMaster Team

I'll pick it up for you if you're stuck.I'll be heading out for my own anyway. PM me closer the day.

10 days to go, let's hope the weather improves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Am allegedly doing the half. Haven't run more than 18km at a time since the 2011 Barcelona marathon. This is going to be fun :)

You kept that very quiet. I didn't see you mention it on your log!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    You kept that very quiet. I didn't see you mention it on your log!

Haha, it won't be so quiet when I blow up in a manner that will be visible from space if I go for 1:50 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Haha, it won't be so quiet when I blow up in a manner that will be visible from space if I go for 1:50 :p

Better chance than me of breaking 1'50, don't tell RunningCoach ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Mr Slow wrote: »
    10 days to go, let's hope the weather improves!

They have pretty much covered their asses on the long range forecast. It has gone from 75% chance of rain to passing clouds and is now giving sunshine :confused:

No real point looking at the forecast this early but the weather has been sh!te down here for the last few weeks. While the rain would be tough going it would be the wind that would be the killer. The course is fairly exposed along long parts of the route.

The pacers would have their work cut out for themselves providing shelter for the pacees ;)

dev123 wrote: »
    They have pretty much covered their asses on the long range forecast. It has gone from 75% chance of rain to passing clouds and is now giving sunshine :confused:

No real point looking at the forecast this early but the weather has been sh!te down here for the last few weeks. While the rain would be tough going it would be the wind that would be the killer. The course is fairly exposed along long parts of the route.

The pacers would have their work cut out for themselves providing shelter for the pacees ;)

Shelter? I'll be forming a wall with ye to run behind :D

Better chance than me of breaking 1'50, don't tell RunningCoach ;):D

Don't worry, it took 4 days before I started feeling anything resembling 'Fantastic' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Don't take any notice whatsoever until 2 days before the marathon. And even then they get it wrong often enough (as in Connemara this year).

Don't take any notice whatsoever until 2 days before the marathon. And even then they get it wrong often enough (as in Connemara this year).

Plus it makes no real difference, you've all paid and trained so rain or shine you'll be running.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Only a week to go now!Just wondering is there a map available of the course? Would someone put it up here if there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

panda100 wrote: »
    Only a week to go now!Just wondering is there a map available of the course? Would someone put it up here if there is.

Which course?

Here's the 6 miler
    http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/tenk.html

here's the half marathon.
    http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/hm.html

the marathon
    http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/fm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

Anyone have any ideas of the numbers for the marathon?

Anyone have any ideas of the numbers for the marathon?

IIRC the local paper had it at about 600 marathon runners.

That was last published last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

IIRC the local paper had it at about 600 marathon runners.

That was last published last week

I think there would be moe if the price was more reasonable............as with the half.

• Advertisement

I think there would be moe if the price was more reasonable............as with the half.

Marathon entry was €60 before February I think which would put it in line with most marathons in the country in terms of price. And in terms of training you would have wanted to be commited to entering before that early bird date so not sure if price has affected numbers.

Not sure how much the Kildare marathon is but again IIRC there are less doing it and it is on the weekend after Limerick.

I would agree with the half and the 6 mile in Limerick being too expensive.

They are hoping to get 8,000 across the there events with 7,000 entered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Marathon entry was €60 before February I think which would put it in line with most marathons in the country in terms of price. And in terms of training you would have wanted to be commited to entering before that early bird date so not sure if price has affected numbers.

Not sure how much the Kildare marathon is but again IIRC there are less doing it and it is on the weekend after Limerick.

I would agree with the half and the 6 mile in Limerick being too expensive.

They are hoping to get 8,000 across the there events with 7,000 entered.

I don't like this idea of prices going up bit by bit. Set a price and leave it at that !

But its a race run to make money so enter or not..........its a persons own choice. I'm doing the half to help get someone to the end line, if i wasn't i wouldn't be doing the race.

Doing Brussels in Oct

Full 50 ( no changes )
    Half 20 with no t shirt 30 with.

Thanks 600 is a decent number, gives me more chance of not coming last in my first marathon! Hopefully weather improves

I don't like this idea of prices going up bit by bit. Set a price and leave it at that !

But its a race run to make money so enter or not..........its a persons own choice. I'm doing the half to help get someone to the end line, if i wasn't i wouldn't be doing the race.

Doing Brussels in Oct

Full 50 ( no changes )
    Half 20 with no t shirt 30 with.

I'm sure the organisers would like to have a rough idea of how many are entering so there is an incentive put in the pricing scheme to get people to commit to it sooner rather than later.

Worst case scenario would be that people don't enter until the last week which is a shame because the organsiers had to cancel the event due to lack of interest.

Thanks 600 is a decent number, gives me more chance of not coming last in my first marathon! Hopefully weather improves

With walkers taking part I'm sure you won't be last.

Weather is a bit better today but it is still quite windy. Get in a with one of the pace groups if there is one at your target time and use them for shelter if it is still windy come Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Doing my first half marathon on Sunday.

The longest run I have done is about 11.5 miles at about 8:20 pace.

Any tips for the night before or the morning of the race, (I don't eat porridge so that is out of the question!!!)

Should I go with the pacers or do my own race. The advice I am getting so far is about 50:50 for running with or without the pacers

Good advice dev123, think i'll slot in behind the 4'30 and hope for the best!

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Doing my first half marathon on Sunday.

The longest run I have done is about 11.5 miles at about 8:20 pace.

Any tips for the night before or the morning of the race, (I don't eat porridge so that is out of the question!!!)

Should I go with the pacers or do my own race. The advice I am getting so far is about 50:50 for running with or without the pacers

How did you feel at the end of the 11.5 miles at 8:20 pace? Could you have kept going for another 15 minutes? Or were you knackered?

Is that the pace you have done all your long runs at?

If so I would say go out with the 1:50 pacers (8:24 pace) to keep yourself in check. If you are feeling strong in the last few miles you can pick up the pace.

It's always a better feeling to be passing runners late in the race than being passed.

Also the last 3 miles of the half marathon is where the hills are: at the turn left at the Treaty Stone, up past Thomond Park and the final hill from Ivans up past the Gaelic Grounds so it would be helpful to have something left in the tank for that part of the race.

Good advice dev123, think i'll slot in behind the 4'30 and hope for the best!
    I think the 4:30 pacers are regular posters from here so make yourself known at the start.

That way they will know who to target in the Locke Bar for their free pacer pints :)

• Advertisement

I think the 4:30 pacers are regular posters from here so make yourself known at the start.

That way they will know who to target in the Locke Bar for their free pacer pints :)

Most of the pacers are boardsies. They're a smashin bunch of athletes :D

Advertisement