Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refusing apple puree

• 02-11-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Gave my little one apple puree this morning for the first time and he didn't like it! Just wondering should I try him with it again tomorrow or try another fruit like banana or avocado instead. He loves carrots, butternut squash and sweet potato. Thats all I've tried so far along with baby rice. I gave him the apple with some baby rice this morning.
    Also all the books say to give cooled boiled water as a drink with solids but he just won't take it. I've tried it with a little freshly squeezed orange juice and with a little apple juice but he still won't take it. I really want to give him some water each day as he's a little constipated. The only way he'll take it is with brown sugar melted in it!!!!
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

It might be a good idea to leave the apple for a few days and try it again next week. Pear puree is a great first food. I cook it the same way as I'd cook apples but for a bit longer. If you're trying bananas make sure they are really ripe or he can become more constipated. Learnt that the hard way.

Re the water. Do you live in a hard water area? I ask because I do and my baby wouldn't drink boiled water as the taste of the lime was really strong. When I tried her with water straight from the tap she drank it. I know it's not recommended but hey she seems grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

It might not be that he didn't like it, but instead maybe he was confused with the texture or new taste. It's a lot for babes to try something completely foreign to him, give him some time to adjust. If he takes some things, stick with that for a bit, gradually introducing all the new things to him.

About the water, remember that he's getting water in the rice/cereals you're mixing your foods in with, and whatever you're adding (potato, carrot, etc) has water in it as well. And if you're giving him bottles/breastmilk, he's getting water with that as well. Don't worry that he's becoming dehydrated simply b/c he doesn't drink the plain water straight off, it's another new taste/experience he is learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Im about 6 weeks into weaning now and know what you are experiencing. I found if she didnt appear to like something I would just offer it again the next day as she seemed to forget she didnt like it, or maybe a few days later. Dont write it off as the others mentioned its the experience of it thats new. Did you taste the apple - maybe its a little tart? Fruit goes down well here, especially mashed banana!

Regarding water we are the same. I offer it in a sippy cup so its doubly confusing for her. She doesnt drink much of it but attempts to hold the two handles and bring it to her mouth and Im happy enough with that as she is still getting a lot of fluids through her 4 milk feeds during the day.

Advertisement