Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top gigs of 2011 (so far)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

so far:
    Manchester Orchestra @ Ruby Lounge, Manchester
    City & Colour @ The Academy

I've been to so few gigs this year, it's shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Morrissey in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

marwelie wrote: »
    Elbow in the O2, definitely gig of the year, maybe of the decade, possibly of the century. Life affirming stuff.

There is no emoticon to accurately describe my face right now.. They bored the damn pants off me at Slane.. Each to their own sure...

My best gig of 2011 in Ireland: Queens of the mother-effing Stone Age at the Olympia. It was immense. And I was in the nosebleeds!!

However, I also saw them in Bournemouth in June, and that is my best overall gig of 2011, I was at the barrier right in front of Josh, the setlist was beyond epic, and the crowd were deadly. I was the only girl to last at the barrier too, so I am proud of that :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

In no order - Roger Waters, Pee Wee Ellis (probably the highlight for me), Paul Simon in Cork, Trinity Orchestra at Electric Picnic, Jimmy Cliff at same. The best is yet to happen though - Primal Scream at the O2

Prince at North Sea Jazz was phenomenal, although I was pretty out of it. Trombone Shorty was another great one at that, Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

ASIWYFA @ EP. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

leakyboots wrote: »
    In no order - Roger Waters, Pee Wee Ellis (probably the highlight for me), Paul Simon in Cork, Trinity Orchestra at Electric Picnic, Jimmy Cliff at same. The best is yet to happen though - Primal Scream at the O2

Prince at North Sea Jazz was phenomenal, although I was pretty out of it. Trombone Shorty was another great one at that, Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins too

He was class wasn't he? Can't wait for Primal Scream too.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Grinderman at the Village

Hands down my best gig this year, and certainly in my top 5 ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

I thought the Tune-Yards gig in whelans was tremendous fun, the crowd were well up for it which I find is actually quite rare considering our reputation....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The O2 will never host better gigs than the 2 Roger Waters shows this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My gig of the year has been Paul Simon in Vicar Street followed by Squeeze also in Vicar St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Without doubt Rush at the O2. A close second would be Muse at Lolapolooza, Chicago

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

Erasure @ Marquee down in Cork, only because i got to meet Vince Clarke afterwards, what a legend and very nice to talk to...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bebostalker

This post has been deleted.

yeah Foster the People was class, didnt even know a single song by them but really enjoyed it.

I don't know how most people don't have Foo Fighters at Oxegen on theirs lists :/

unless they weren't at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Dir en grey @ Le Divan Du Monde, Paris, France. 10/08/2011. Probably one of the best gigs of my life. The atmosphere was unreal and the band were on fire. Incredibly special night and everyone there knew it. I was a broken woman, sat outside afterwards chain-smoking and unable to string a sentence together hahaha.

Suicide Commando @ Resistanz, Sheffield, 05/04/2011
    Depsite initial sound problems they managed to pull through and put on a great show! Was a bit like a dream come true for me as well, have been a fan for a while.

SAM @ Resistanz, Sheffield, 06/04/2011
    Wasn't sure what to expect from these guys. Very energetic set, left with a huge grin on my face. Love when a band you don't really know blows your head off :D.

ASIWYFA @ The Nerve Centre, Derry, 25/06/2011
    Finally got around to see them after my friends never shutting up about them. Definitely enjoyed it!

Been a fairly quiet year for me, gig wise. But I am going to Dimmu Borgir in Belfast and then off to Glasgow for Machine Head and Devildriver so maybe then I'll have more to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Kevin1150

THE NATIONAL @ oxegen
    RHCP @02
    boom

• Registered Users Posts: 38,435 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rush @ The o2
    Def Leppard/Thin Lizzy/Alice Cooper @ the o2
    Foreigner/Journey @ The o2
    Bon Jov @ the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

1. Gillian Welch - Grand Canal Theatre, November 2011.

Knocked everything else this year into a cocked hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

1. Manic Street Preachers at the Olympia
    2. Arcade Fire at Elec. Pic
    3. PJ Harvey at Elec. Pic
    4. Ash at Whelans
    5. Warpaint at the EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

1. Swans. Barcelona
    2. moon Duo. Workmans club
    3. Dean Wareham plays galaxie 500. Workmnas club
    4. Explosions in the sky. Vicar Street
    5. Mercury Rev. Vicar Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

James Vincent McMorrow @ Olympia
    Janelle Monae @ Tripod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Daith wrote: »
    James Vincent McMorrow @ Olympia

Marvellous Stuff, love how genuinely surprised he was that he managed to sell out two nights there.

Dragged a reluctant friend to it and he has been raving about the gig ever since.

In the top three, with Elbow in the O2 and the Airborne Toxic Event in the Academy a few Sundays back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

1. Roger Waters, O2
    2. Gillian Welch, Grand Canal Theatre (new entry) :D
    3. Tori Amos, Grand Canal Theatre (new entry) :D
    4. Elton John, Cork Marquee
    5. Tom Tom Club, Vicar Street

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

Queens of Stone Age - Olympia. Possibly the best gig I've ever seen with a brilliant crowd to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

1. Rush - the O2 (by a long way!)

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

marwelie wrote: »
    Elbow in the O2, definitely gig of the year, maybe of the decade, possibly of the century. Life affirming stuff.

Meh. They didn't play Coming Second.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes in Button Factory
    Declan & Brendan Murphy acoustic set in arts centre Lisburn
    Queens of the Stone Age in Olympia
    Are mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

binncheol wrote: »
    so far:
    Manchester Orchestra @ Ruby Lounge, Manchester
    City & Colour @ The Academy

I've been to so few gigs this year, it's shocking!
    going to add:
    Brand New @ The Paramount, NY
    Anna Calvi @ Vicar Street

been to a few others but these were the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Christy Moore last night in Vicar Street. Brilliant gig. And it was my first time to see him live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The Darkness at the Olympia.

Wish I had went to see Ash at Whelans though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Noel Gallagher at the Olympia

It just was a magic moment that will never be relived

Advertisement