Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difference between Deputy Princial and Assistant Principal in Post Primary

• 02-11-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I just wanted to know what if any is the difference between a deputy principal and an assistant principal in post primary schools and if any in primary schools. Also why do some schools have two deputy principals? Is it that there is a sufficient number of pupils?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The Deputy Principal is next in line to the principal. A school can have more than one of these, depending on the amount of students. Assistant Principals are further down the line and used to be called "A" postholders. A school can have quite a few APs.

The promotional ladder is as follows: ordinary teacher - special duties teacher - assistant principal - deputy principal - principal. A very small bloody ladder in my opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭27061986a

The Deputy Principal is next in line to the principal. A school can have more than one of these, depending on the amount of students. Assistant Principals are further down the line and used to be called "A" postholders. A school can have quite a few APs.

The promotional ladder is as follows: ordinary teacher - special duties teacher - assistant principal - deputy principal - principal. A very small bloody ladder in my opinion.....

Thanks for your reply implausible. Would you be able to give me an example of posts that would be classified as as special duties teacher or assistant principal? Would a year head or form tutor be classified as a special duties teacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

27061986a wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply implausible. Would you be able to give me an example of posts that would be classified as as special duties teacher or assistant principal? Would a year head or form tutor be classified as a special duties teacher?

This is a hard question to answer, mainly because it depends on the particular school, each school has a specific number of A (assistant principal) and B (special duties) posts and its up to the school to decide what is most important to the needs of the school and allocate the posts to these areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

27061986a wrote: »
    Would you be able to give me an example of posts that would be classified as as special duties teacher or assistant principal? Would a year head or form tutor be classified as a special duties teacher?

Each post (special duties or AP) carries with it a list of duties. In my school, all special duties teachers are form teachers and most APs are yearheads. Some special duties (in addition to form teacher) in our school would be PRO, lockers and detention and you would have form teacher included in this. Some of the AP duties would be house exams organiser, Health and Safety and FETAC co-ordinator. It depends on the size of the school and the duties that come along with the post

Advertisement