Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Films without Dialogue

Options
  • 02-11-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm looking for films/scenes that really succeed in telling their story without dialogue; just music, sound effects etc.

Not necessarily silent films, although these are helpful too. I'm more interested in films with specific, designed soundtracks. Anything from Wall-E to your friend's short!

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Baraka or Koyaanisqatsi, not really a plot to speak of but more of a look at life itself.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Try Terence Malick's recent film The Tree of Life, there's very little dialogue in it. Some people hated it, I thought it was really good, its worth watching for the visuals alone anyway.

Another is Valhalla Rising, there's hardly any dialogue for the last hour, I didn't like it at all but some people did, so you never know. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so though.

Can't think of any others at the moment. Drive didn't have very much dialogue in places either I suppose and thats a brilliant film, same director as Valhalla Rising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you're looking for silent films, Battleship Potemkin (says most things with music and editing), Sunrise (cinema's great classic melodrama) and Metropolis (epic sci-fi) are all wonderful. They do use narrative text inserts, though, to varying degrees, as would most early films.

Recently, it's hard: there's few types less common in cinema than dialogue free films! +1 on the Quatsi films, hypnotic stuff (if basically just feature length Phillip Glass music videos :P). Le Quattro Volte was one I saw this year that is almost entirely free of speech: indeed, two of the main characters are a goat and a tree :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The Thief (1952) with Ray Milland has no dialogue whatsoever, and is a fantastic spy thriller.

Very tense and a bit Hitchcockian: well worth a look.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Baraka or Koyaanisqatsi, not really a plot to speak of but more of a look at life itself.

Even though its technically a concert movie of sorts Sigur Ros' Heima is quite similar to these films in some ways, worth a look OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

sylvian chomet's animated films are dialogue free.. check out The Old Lady And The Pigeons

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

3-Iron. Beautiful film. There is dialogue in it, but the two main characters barely speak a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

The first 10 minutes of Pixar's Up is almost a film-within-a-film showing an entire life lived together, all without dialog. Really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Aftermath and Genesis,two short films by Nacho Cerda.

Neither have any dialogue what so ever and are poles apart content wise.Aftermath is pretty hard going in places and Genesis has some beautiful visuals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also this actually:

Be warned: the first third is the best and even that's hard work. And I've never seen so many cinema walkouts in my life. But it's certainly interesting.

I don't know if you would count it, but Drive had some fantastic moments with barely any dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Rififi

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048021/

There's a bank heist sequence in it that goes on for half an hour with little or no dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Hunger directed by Steve McQueen, principally about the dirty protect and the hunger strikes in the H-Block. Large segments of the film do not have dialogue. Initially he did not want any dialogue at all but opted to include some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

2001: A Space Odysseey doesn't feature any dialogue for the first 30 or so minutes, but you would never notice, it's so captivating! Wall-E struck me as tipping it's cap to that, with a largegly silent beginning too, which was just fine with me, as I also loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

There Will Be Blood has a good 12 minutes dialogue-free at the start (tho not the 20mins you'll see in some reviews).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

How about Fantasia?

Mickey Mouse in line with some magnificent classical pieces? Get in!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_%28film%29

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Probably more dialogue than you'd like, but Apoclypto is a superb movie with very little dialogue throughout. There's a chase scene to end the movie which goes for maybe 20 minutes with only a few sentences spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The Plank, extended sketch by the great Eric Sykes, the below is the 1979 remake of the 1967 original. Very little dialogue with musical instruments used to communicate.

• Advertisement

God, I had absolutely forgotten about the Plank. By far one of the funniest things I've ever seen, actual proper comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bellboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Rendezvous - Simple short flick based in paris. Some really good shots in this.

Duel - Everyone should see this! Spielberg gold. Its got some dialogue but not much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

Sylvain Chomet has two anyway - The Triplets of Belleville and The Illusionist. Both terrific annimated films.

I also saw a short by Paddy Slattery called The Moment - about a guys last few moments in a hospital. Absolutely terrific - very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jean-Jacques Annaud has two films like this that I have seen. Both are excellent.
    Quest for Fire is about cavemen on a.... quest for fire, traversing about encountering dangerous wildlife, cannibals and neanderthals along the way.
    The Bear, I would say, is even better. It's a story about an orphaned bear cub trying to survive in a harsh wilderness. There are about 3 or 4 lines of dialogue in a scene involving poachers, but it's largely irrelevant as they could be saying anything as the dialogue does not effect the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Pathfinder from 1987, not so much dialogue but more like grunts or really rough Lapland or Norwegian accents.

Edit: Just read imdb apparently its in Saami language.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

CAstaway with Tom Hanks has some very long parts with no dialogue. Must watch that film again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Hell in the Pacific Two protagonists - neither understands the other so no dialogue.

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle Two starring Jacques Tati.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

• Advertisement
Advertisement