Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got the job, but no start date

Options
  • 02-11-2011 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    having a bit of a work issue and I would like to get your opinions.

Basically, I applied for a job in a shop for Christmas, got it and then did the training. I was told that I'd be getting a call the following week with a view to maybe start on the 1st (yesterday)

Since then, I've heard nothing. I have a contract signed and dated to the date of the training but no word on when I start.

I've tried calling but gotten no answer.

Should I wait a few more days or visit the shop to get a definitive answer. I don't want to be too imposing as there's always a chance I'll get a call this week but I don't want to lose any days that I could have been working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just give them a call, I wouldn't just walk in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Just give them a call, I wouldn't just walk in.

I've called a dozen times, but the phone just rings out. I'm sure its the right number too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nonstarter

thats really odd, is it a well established shop/store? is email, or voicemail an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

nonstarter wrote: »
    thats really odd, is it a well established shop/store? is email, or voicemail an option?

Yep, I dont wanna name them but youd all know it. No voicemail,but they have email. If I dont hear from them by friday ill go in and ask.

im not gonna be messed around when.i could be off looking for another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

im not gonna be messed around when.i could be off looking for another job.

Lesson learned OP! Unless and until you have a definite start date, do not give up searching for a job.

I wouldn't wait, but start looking NOW. If the store calls in the meantime -great! If not, then you'll have lost no more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

This same situation happened to my cousin last christmas. Temp job and she had done the training, didn't hear anything from them and went into to talk to the manager after waiting about 2 weeks. It turned out that the had the wrong contact details for her and she started the next day. Good luck

Advertisement