Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student of Graphic Design with questions

Options
  • 02-11-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm just starting out studying Graphic Design, rather late in life - I've always had an interest in art and in computers, so it seems like a happy amalgamation;) I would love to ask some questions about graphic design to those with some experience -I have a million questions but will try and keep it short! If any or some of you could answer one or two of these I will be most grateful, and feel free to add any advice/warnings you think are useful!

What does your work consist of doing?
    What areas are you drawn to? Do you find it difficult to get work at what you would like to do, do you find yourself having to take whatever work is available?
    In graphic design, is work mostly on a freelance/consultancy basis or is there regular work?
    Which areas do you see as growth areas, i.e. in which areas is there most work potential?
    Is there much call for graphic designers in Ireland? Would you encourage it as a career?
    How do you prevent yourself from stagnating creatively?
    What would you say are the most important things for a student to master, to concentrate on?
    What advice would you give to someone starting out?

Many thanks! Any pointers will be welcome as I know absolutely nothing:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you like, drop me a PM and you can give me a call sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Hey,

What does your work consist of doing?
    Formally print design (which is why I'm replying), now exclusively web/interactive design

What areas are you drawn to? Do you find it difficult to get work at what you would like to do, do you find yourself having to take whatever work is available?
    Primarily web, although I would like more mobile ui projects. Nowadays I can pick and choose projects, wasn't always the case

In graphic design, is work mostly on a freelance/consultancy basis or is there regular work?
    Bit of a mix, work is very regular also - this takes time though!

Which areas do you see as growth areas, i.e. in which areas is there most work potential?
    UI design

Is there much call for graphic designers in Ireland? Would you encourage it as a career?
    If you mean 'graphic designer' in the traditional sense I would say no & no, you definitely need to move into digital

How do you prevent yourself from stagnating creatively?
    Constant self education, absorbing design on a daily basis, it's a lifestyle!

What would you say are the most important things for a student to master, to concentrate on?
    Attention to detail, and quality

What advice would you give to someone starting out?
    Don't be a jack of all trades, become well known for doing one thing brilliantly

Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 st0mpyb00ts

Thank you very much for replying:) Yes I can imagine most work is digital, that's pretty much what I'm studying - from the outside (of the industry) looking in it would seem that there must be a fair bit of work to be had designing websites/ads/animations, so I wonder if it would be wise to get really good at coding and being able to create sites - becoming a programmer who can design I guess - am I right in that?
    Thanks P I will take you up on that.
    Thanks for your time, much appreciated!

Advertisement