Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview questions - need help

Options
  • 02-11-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a potential job interview soon and the employer has mailed me some questions to answer before I get the interview. I can answer some of them but need help on others. I was wondering if any of you programmers could help me out. I know it's a big ask but I really need this job.

Any help at all is welcome.

Thanks,
    Walrus

1. How many transactions per second does your Java code process?
    - Can any one tell me how I could find this out? I'm not with my company anymore...

2. What is the largest database you have written code against? (in MB and total records)
    - As above.. Is there a figure I could use that wouldn't look silly?

3. What dictates the memory available to a Weblogic application?
    - Do I edit the startManagedWebLogic.cmd script and specify memory options?

4. What are the dangers of testing a multi-threaded application on a single core machine when it was designed to run on a multi-core machine? Be specific.
    - Am I right in saying there are no dangers because it's impossible to recreate a dangerous load through testing?

5. What is the difference in meaning and value between “++i” and “i++” where i is an integer variable? Be specific.
    - “++i” increment i, then use value.
    - “i++” use value then increment i.

6. In the previous question, which of the two is most efficient and why?
    - “i++” ?

7. How would you define JEE in ten words or less?

8. What Technical Blogs do you read?
    - Can anyone suggest a good tech blog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

5. What is the difference in meaning and value between “++i” and “i++” where i is an integer variable? Be specific.

i++ is referred to as postincrement and ++i as preincrement.

Postincrement is usually less efficient than preincrement because it has to remember and return its original value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

- Can any one tell me how I could find this out? I'm not with my company anymore...
    Well if you wrote the code you must have a code idea of how many transactions it can handle based on the production environment and through put testing
    2. What is the largest database you have written code against? (in MB and total records)

So you just want a made up figure? Based on the transactions from 1 above you should have a good idea.
    What are the dangers of testing a multi-threaded application on a single core machine when it was designed to run on a multi-core machine? Be specific.
    - Am I right in saying there are no dangers because it's impossible to recreate a dangerous load through testing?

Google and try it

go find some and read them.

I sound bitter but from the above it sounds like you sent in a CV stating you have experience writing code for certain systems/transactions/dbs etc and know your prospective employer wants more information you don't have it as you either don't have the experience you mentioned or you worked as junior programmer and have no idea as to the correct answers.

As for the blogs your employer wants to know do you have an interest in IT/Technology and do you keep up with industry standards, trends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

This question might have two meanings; how many can it process, i.e. max load, or how many does it actually process, i.e. what are the actual number of requests that it processes per second in the production environment.

For either of these, it needs load testing (get results from your company?) or get the usage stats from the company. I assume this question is to show how much attention you paid to the performance of this Java code while you worked at this company.

I had a look at my local version of a db my company uses, which is not updated too often, and the back-up sql script to create it and populate it is about 500MB and it has about 2 million records spread over 12 schemas with the largest schema having about 800k records. I'm really unsure how the backup sql script relates to the actual amount of space the data takes up, I guess it will vary according to DBMS, logging, duplication etc.
    3. What dictates the memory available to a Weblogic application?
    - Do I edit the startManagedWebLogic.cmd script and specify memory options?

Yes you can specify the memory in the WebLogic start up script.
    4. What are the dangers of testing a multi-threaded application on a single core machine when it was designed to run on a multi-core machine? Be specific.

The danger is that someone will give out to you for wasting time with tests that will result in near useless results. An analogy might be testing an iPad 2 app on an iPhone.

A dangerous load? If you mean peak load, then yes, load testing something to find peak loads is a typical test. It's how you find bottlenecks and find out if your application can handle expected peak loads.

i = 1;
    j = ++i; (pre-increment)

i == 2
    j == 2

i = 1;
    j = i++; (post-increment)

i == 2
    j == 1
    - “i++” ?

As Axe Rake said.
    7. How would you define JEE in ten words or less?

It's a specification for distributed, multi-tiered applications.

I can't. I think I've hardly read a blog in my life. I would answer with that I read books and articles on subjects that interest me.

I guess some articles can be considered blogs?

Is it a blog if you're not paid to write it and an article if you are? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I know it's a big ask but I really need this job.

Here is a short answer. If you can't answer these questions yourself, you are not going to get the job.

Any answers you get here it only takes 10 minutes in a drill down interview to find out that you got the answers elsewhere and know nothing.

First two are in relation to work you have already done or code you have given them. Questions 3-6 are general knowledge, 7 anyone with J2EE experience should be able to answer. The last one is to see what technologies you keep up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Hobbes wrote: »
    Here is a short answer. If you can't answer these questions yourself, you are not going to get the job.

Any answers you get here it only takes 10 minutes in a drill down interview to find out that you got the answers elsewhere and know nothing.

First two are in relation to work you have already done or code you have given them. Questions 3-6 are general knowledge, 7 anyone with J2EE experience should be able to answer. The last one is to see what technologies you keep up with.

that wasnt really what he was asking Hobbes now was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

john47832 wrote: »
    that wasnt really what he was asking Hobbes now was it?

Sometimes the answer we want is not the answer we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I want to object to the content of this thread; not in a 'it broke the rules, mods' way, but in a 'this is bad, fellow posters of the Development Forum community' way.

I'm trying not to make this personal to the OP. OP, I have no idea what your circumstances are, and amnt in a position to judge you; but all other things being equal, I think the specific act of asking questions of this nature, on a forum, is wrong.

You've been asked a set of questions, to determine your suitability for a job interview.
    When you deceive your potential employer, with the answers to these questions, you possibly get called to interview, ahead of someone else who has made an attempt to answer the questions honestly - is that good?

You are being asked what is the largest database you have written code for.
    Your question seems like you are willing to just give any answer that makes you look good, rather than attempt to answer the question honestly.

If you have worked with DBs before, but don't know the size, in MB and total records (which is reasonable enough, really) you might say something like 'I dont know exactly, but our system had over 50k users, and we stored a record for each one" or "our product database had over 5k entries" or whatever.

If you can't answer the question, in some fashion like that, then you should state so, and let the employer judge; and not just lie based on what someone told you would sound ok on the Internet.

You would expect to get asked more details about this system in the interview - how would you react?

- “i++” ?

If you google'd that question, at all
    (e.g:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+in+meaning+and+value+between+%E2%80%9C%2B%2Bi%E2%80%9D+and+%E2%80%9Ci%2B%2B%E2%80%9D
    )

You'd probably arrive here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24853/what-is-the-difference-between-i-and-i

Which has the exact question you were asking.
    Would you not have just looked up the questions yourself?

(Incidentally, I'd go with the answer on stackoverflow:
    "there's a couple of comments regarding the efficiency of ++i and i++. In any non-student-project compiler, there will be no performance difference. You can verify this by looking at the generated code, which will be identical."
    over the other answers here; although I'm sure an interviewer would accept either, and you could argue it; just dont say postincrement is faster).

This is taking the p*ss?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tech+blog

Like, I'm not so naive that I think everyone always writes the unvarnished truth on their CV. I also think its fine to ask people for help, preparing for an interview, brushing up on the things you've forgotten, that sort of thing.

But I think, if you are sent a list of specific questions, just pasting them in here, without even googling them, and being completely willing to invent the responses to specific questions, such as details of previous projects you've worked on, just is too far.

Like previously mentioned by others, it mightnt even be a good use of your own time to do this. You would expect to get found out at any thorough tech interview.

There's so much information out there on the Internet these days; entire college courses, sites like stack overflow - I'd say try and get stuck in, maybe try watch a video an evening; you'll be able to fly through questions like those, before you know it.

Advertisement