Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career help needed

• 02-11-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm in 6th year at the moment and I have no idea as to what i'd like to do next year in college :confused: I study english, irish, maths, french, biology, music and business. My favourite would have to be music and my weakest are maths and english. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Have a flick through the yellow pages in the cao booklet and have a look at anything you think sounds interesting. You've a bit of time over midterm! If all else fails go find a good guidance counsellor either in school or outside it. Everyone's in the same boat so don't worry. Plenty of time to decide yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Have a flick through the yellow pages in the cao booklet and have a look at anything you think sounds interesting. You've a bit of time over midterm! If all else fails go find a good guidance counsellor either in school or outside it. Everyone's in the same boat so don't worry. Plenty of time to decide yet!

I've flicked through the yellow pages many times and I'm still sooo confused :rolleyes: Ya I suppose. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

music is one of my favourites too. (:
    Have you an interest in teaching music as a secondary school teacher?
    Or maybe being a music producer?
    Music artist like a guitarist or maybe a singer?
    A lyricist?
    There's LOADS of careers that've got to do with music. :) maybe do a bit of research into everything.
    I was doing a bit of researching myself and found this really cool course in DIT: http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/commercialmodernmusicdt506/
    seriously sounds awesome (in my opinion)

But still, I'm confused about what I want to do too. At one moment I'm thinking something like veterinary, another I'm thinking law and the next I'm thinking about studying irish to become an irish secondary school teacher!! or studying german, or music. THERE IS TOO MUCH CHOICE.
    So yeah I can sorta relate to you.. /:
    We'll be grand anyways. Once we have the CAO yoke done, we have a load of time to change it if we want to. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Bubbleope wrote: »
    music is one of my favourites too. (:
    Have you an interest in teaching music as a secondary school teacher?
    Or maybe being a music producer?
    Music artist like a guitarist or maybe a singer?
    A lyricist?
    There's LOADS of careers that've got to do with music. :) maybe do a bit of research into everything.
    I was doing a bit of researching myself and found this really cool course in DIT: http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/commercialmodernmusicdt506/
    seriously sounds awesome (in my opinion)

But still, I'm confused about what I want to do too. At one moment I'm thinking something like veterinary, another I'm thinking law and the next I'm thinking about studying irish to become an irish secondary school teacher!! or studying german, or music. THERE IS TOO MUCH CHOICE.
    So yeah I can sorta relate to you.. /:
    We'll be grand anyways. Once we have the CAO yoke done, we have a load of time to change it if we want to. :)

Ya I was thinking of teaching music in secondary school but I dunno.. Ya I wouldn't mind doing law either. It's soo hard to choose :( And that music course sounds AMAZING :D Havn't came accross it before. But ya hopefully we'll be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well first things first, don't panic. You have to have registered with the CAO by Feb 1st. You don't have to have made courses choice by this date though, you can choose them later.

However if you are thinking of choosing a course which involves an interview, portfolio, assessment of some sort and some music courses do involve assessments you must have them on your CAO by Feb 1st so you can be called for interview/assessment. After that date you can change your mind as many times as you want at no cost until July 1st.

You may not even want one of those courses in the end that involve an assessment but if you are not completely sure, you can put them down in the meantime because assessments are usually in March/April so the CAO need to know who's applying.

So really there's no panic. Just to get your application in before Feb 1 and then you have another few months to think about it.

Also a few people mentioned having a look at the lists of courses in the CAO handbook, this isn't a bad idea. You mightn't know exactly what you want but it might help to rule out the courses that you definitely don't want and see then what is left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement