Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turnitin

Options
  • 02-11-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey there,

Just a quick question about Turnitin the anti-plagiarism software. I got the following email this morning in my student email:

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]"The new Moodle server will be going live next Wednesday 2[SIZE=-1]nd of November. There will be downtime to allow for the migration which is unavoidable but it will be kept to a minimum, probably around 3-4 hours. All features including add-on’s like Turnitin, shortanswer etc. will be available after this date."[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I'm wondering does this mean students will be able to check their own work before submitting it. I also read the following in A.I.T's student handbook:[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]
    "Turnitin allows educators and students to check the academic integrity of work by searching for improper citation or potential plagiarism by comparing it against

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]continuously updated databases"[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Any info appreciated. Thanks[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Well I'd like to think that you'd know if you were plagiarising someone else's work, but there are probably a few people in the world who have been accused of it even though they had never heard of the other work that they were supposedly copying, so it would be quite useful to know in advance if you're gonna be hauled up for plagiarism.

I still get student mail and got the same message. Maybe it's just a blanket all-student and all-staff message and Turnitin isn't available to students, but I don't know. Best way to find out is to check it yourself and share your findings here methinks.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

cheers vinamax,

ya, the reason i posted here is because i have checked and i dont notice anything different about moodle at all. maybe its just for the lecturers. i know in other colleges students have access to turnitin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If Turnitin is enabled in Moodle, lecturers have to enable it for an assignment. They also have the option of allowing students check their work before submitting it.

So best bet is to ask the lecturer in question if it is going to be enabled for an assignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wingawongawoo

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If Turnitin is enabled in Moodle, lecturers have to enable it for an assignment. They also have the option of allowing students check their work before submitting it.

So best bet is to ask the lecturer in question if it is going to be enabled for an assignment.

Yep. It's at the discretion of a lecturer to turn on the facility where you can check for plagiarism BEFORE you make your submission. I've seen turnitin from both sides, as a lecturer and as a student. Usually when I'm in lecturer mode, I wouldn't allow a student to run a check before making a submission, for the simple reason that you should know if you've plagiarised, it VERY rearely happens by accident.

Most of the time when an assignment is submitted thru turnitin, the student won't see the plagiarism report unless there's a problem. It would be acceptable to have about 10% of a report that uses sources other than the authors own words, but in that case the original sources would have to be properly referenced and listed at the end of the report.

Advertisement