Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jervis cersent

Options
  • 02-11-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have an old marriage cert the address given at the time of marriage is Jervis Cresent, it is deffinatly a cresent, the church is around jervis street area. has anyone ever heard of Jervis Cresent or any cresents in that area? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

How old is the cert?

St. Mary's Church of Ireland is on Jervis st, perhaps there was a lane called jervis crescent previous ( i find no record on goolge though)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What Church is it and what sort of time frame are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I've been all over the old maps and topographical dictionareis trying to find it (due to a combination of having little else to do right now and liking this kind of thing:D), but have had no joy yet. It's a tough one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A small scan of the relevant part of the cert. would help identify what it is, if not Jervis.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

this might be a critical factor in your search or not helpful at all, but you know you have spelled crescent wrong every single time you've used it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Browsing through C.T. McCready's Dublin Street Names there's Jervis Street, Jervis Lane and Jervis Quay but no sign of Jervis Crescent, as an earlier poster said, any chance of scanning the relevant information?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ydnas

In 1897 Mark fisherman was sent to grangegorman male prison, there is a question " marks on body" and under this is the letters P M. He was born in Poland. does anyone know what this could mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ydnas wrote: »
    In 1897 Mark fisherman was sent to grangegorman male prison, there is a question " marks on body" and under this is the letters P M. He was born in Poland. does anyone know what this could mean.
    PM usually means Post Mortem (directly translated as "After Death") but usually used to signify a physical examination (an autopsy) conducted to determine the cause of death.

PM written under "marks on body" could signify that the marks were only noticed at the PM or that the marks may have contributed to the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I looked up Griffith's Valuation of 1868 to see if there were any 'Jervis Crescent' in Dublin at the time and it doesn't appear so. I also typed in 'Jervis' alone and there just seems to be a Jervis St and Jervis Lane at that time.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

I would agree with Post Mortem but maybe it could also be peri-mortem (just before death/around the time of death). In other words, maybe the question was were the marks on the body old or new.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I suppose another thing to add is that if you google 'Jervis Crescent', there are several in the UK. It's not unheard of for Irish people to marry UK people, esp since so many Irish emigrated to the UK over the years?

Maybe one of the people on the marriage cert is British and it's just a coincidence they got married near Jervis St in Dublin?

• Advertisement
Advertisement