Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu help

Options
  • 02-11-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm cooking dinner for 7 people on Friday and am stuck for a main course idea. My guests are a fussy bunch! One does not eat pasta/spicy food/goats cheese, one does not eat red meat and I'm not fond of pork :)
    The menu so far is:

Starter: Filo parcels with spinach and goats cheese or cream cheese and pesto served with salad and a spicy tomato salsa

Main: Some sort of chicken dish?

Dessert: Chocolate fondants

I've had a look through my recipe books but nothing is jumping out at me. Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Avoca chicken and broccoli pie, with mash?

Found the recipe here: http://arteculinaria.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/chicken-and-brocolli-gratin/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Give them roast stuffed chicken and if they don't like it, too bad. Do the rest as you've said, apart from the goats cheese because someone doesn't like it. Give them gravy as well, then they should be well stuffed. Afterwards, get them to wash up their dishes, telling them it's the new way to do things. I bet it will work extremely well for you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Found the recipe here: http://arteculinaria.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/chicken-and-brocolli-gratin/

Was having a serious lack of inspiration. This sounds nice. I'll put this on the shortlist. Thanks!
    headmaster wrote: »
    Give them roast stuffed chicken and if they don't like it, too bad. Do the rest as you've said, apart from the goats cheese because someone doesn't like it. Give them gravy as well, then they should be well stuffed. Afterwards, get them to wash up their dishes, telling them it's the new way to do things. I bet it will work extremely well for you. Good luck.

Thankfully I have a volunteer for the dishes already :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Thankfully I have a volunteer for the dishes already smile.gif

H'mm, is SHE doing the cooking as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

How about homemade Chicken Kievs? Make a simple garlic butter and stuff into a chicken breast. Coat in flour, egg and breadcrumb and fry in the pan. Always goes down well! It's lovely with any kind of vegetable/ potato too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

How do you make 110g of Roux? I know it is flour and butter, but how much of each?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

gebbel wrote: »

How do you make 110g of Roux? I know it is flour and butter, but how much of each?

Many thanks

55g each of butter and flour, melt the butter and then add in the flour, whisking constantly until you've got a paste. (use a wooden spoon to get to the edges of the pot as the flour can catch and burn). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

gebbel wrote: »

Many thanks

It says in that recipe to 'whisk in the roux' to the reduced stock and cream. I think it should read 'whisk into the roux'. You should add the liquid to the roux bit by bit, constantly whisking or you will end up with a lumpy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

It says in that recipe to 'whisk in the roux' to the reduced stock and cream. I think it should read 'whisk into the roux'. You should add the liquid to the roux bit by bit, constantly whisking or you will end up with a lumpy sauce.

I wonder was it beurre manié instead of roux that is called for in the recipe as it would be whisked into the sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Chicken - here's some suggestions!

Chicken wrapped in parma ham stuffed with spinach and cheese.

Coq au vin - can be made the night before so very easy !!

Chicken curry - maybe a nice aromatic indian or red thai chicken curry.

Chicken fettucini alfredo

Chicken breasts marinated in soy, honey and garlic

Roast chicken

Chicken teriyaki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Thanks for all the ideas! Went with Kievs in the end but I have plenty of ideas for the next few weeks now.

Advertisement