Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliffs of Moher - New 7 Wonders of Nature - voting closes on 11/11/'11

• 02-11-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

The Cliffs of Moher are Ireland’s nomination for the global online campaign to find the New 7 Wonders of Nature in 2011.

Voting for the New 7 Wonders of Nature closes on 11/11/'11.

I have huge issues with the way the Cliff of Moher is being run at present - the admission and parking charges etc. However, the Cliff of Moher are amazing and it would be brilliant to see them make it on the list of "New 7 Wonders of Nature".

You can vote for the Cliff by Text or by logging online.

Text MOHER to 53131

Text votes are unlimited and cost €0.30

Vote online

http://www.new7wonders.com/vote-2
    Michael D. Higgins - President Elect
    Ireland's newly elected President - Michael D. Higgins - has expressed strong support for the Cliffs of Moher's bid to become one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature and called upon his fellow Irishmen and women to do likewise.

Senator David Norris
    Senator David Norris, a candidate for the 2011 Irish Presidential elections, is backing the Cliffs of Moher in the N7W campaign."Overseas friends of mine visited the west of Ireland during the last summer and were wildly enthusiastic about the Cliffs of Moher when they returned to stay with me. They are one of the jewels in the crown of Irish tourism and they richly deserve to be recognised as a global natural wonder." enthused Senator Norris on the recent visit to the Cliffs.

Maura O'Connell - singer & Jim Sheridan - film director
    At the launch of the Clare Live the Life DVD Clare born singer Grammy nominated singer - Maura O'Connell lend her voice to that of 7 times Academy Award nominee - film director Jim Sheridan to encourage others to vote for the Cliffs in the campaign.

Barry McGuigan - world featherweight champion
    Barry McGuigan, the former world heavy weight champion, is in the Cliffs corner in the campaign to find the New 7 Wonders of Nature. Here you can see the boxer, who is known as The Clones Cyclone, giving the Cliffs campaign a big thumbs up. For nature that really packs a punch it is hard to beat the Cliffs of Moher

Ivan Yates - Businessman & Former Senior Irish Politician
    Ivan Yates is a businessman and former senior Irish politician and Minister for Agriculture, Food and Forestry. Ivan is now the co presenter of the popular radio show Newstalk, Ivan has voted for the Cliffs of Moher, he thinks it would be great for Ireland if the Cliffs of Moher was nominated as one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature.

John McCarthy – Surfer
    John pioneered the first attempt to surf the giant wave at the base of the Cliffs at a point along the Cliffs called Aill na Searrach and later named the wave "Aileens".
    “Sitting at the base of the Cliffs makes you feel very privileged to live and experience such an amazing work of creation”

Nuala McKeogh - Clare Rose
    Nuala McKeogh from Killaloe is the Clare Rose and is bidding for success in the 2010 Rose of Tralee Festival. She has voted for the Cliffs of Moher in the New 7 Wonders of Nature. Here's hoping for success for both Nuala and the Cliffs.

Anne Rynne – Musician
    Anne is a native of Co. Clare and grew up in Cahersherkin, Ennistymon, Co. Clare has played the fiddle with the Kilfenora Ceili Band for 17 years.
    “The mix of natural beauty, the sounds from the sea far below and the soft sound of music being played along the Cliff is a natural wonder”

Eoghan McDonnell- School Boy
    Eoghan is in 2nd Class in Ennistymon National School; Art is one of his favourite subjects at school and he loves painting and drawing. He has won several art competitions, he painted a picture of the Cliffs of Moher as a present for his grandmother Mary last year and she loved it. “I think the Cliffs are the most beautiful place in the world with unimaginable heights”

George Karbus - Photographer
    George Karbus is a wildlife, water and landscape photographer originally from the Czech Republic and lives in Lahinch, Co, Clare only a few miles from the Cliffs of Moher. George loves the costal area of Co. Clare and the Cliffs of Moher and spends much time photographing sea life, landscapes and wildlife in the area. He has travelled the world taking photographs.

His stunning photographs were exhibit in Japan, USA and England and his photography has been commended in Nature's Best contests, the most significant and competitive photography competition in the world.

"I try to capture beauties of our fragile world and show everyone the real treasure's of life. It may inspire people to live in harmony with nature. The Cliffs rise up from north Atlantic ocean and are so high that even biggest wave in Europe looks like a little splash from the top. The Cliffs are such a special place, majestic and beautiful, they can stun everyone at first sight".

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/New7Wonders.aspx

There was a 30 minute special report on the Cliffs of Moher tonight, on RTE's Nationwide.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1119848

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nobody can win a worldwide poll like the Irish

The Wolfe Tones had one of their songs voted greatest of all time and there was some obscure Irish footballer who got voted a football legend in Italy :D

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mike, I hope you will be voting for the COM :) Otherwise, you might have a few problems crossing the bridge into Clare :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Mike, I hope you will be voting for the COM :) Otherwise, you might have a few problems crossing the bridge into Clare :D

Vote, then they COM become victorious, and then what? Will this give the leeches an opportunity to up their prices again?

I am sorry MrsD, I love the COM, but will NEVER again cross the 'bridge' until such time they change their money-grabbing exercise.

BTW: Wasn't there another poll recently for the COM? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287165 This poll was back at the beginning of June, less than 6 months ago. How many damn polls do the COM wish to be in? ANYTHING to screw us the humble public average human out of more money?

No thanks, not for me anyhow - I for sure will not be voting!!

Just came across yet another poll the COM were trying to get votes for: http://sevennaturalwonders.org/europe This was on a boards thred on July 1 2010: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955404&page=2

I wonder why they want us, joe public, to vote so often for their attraction? So they can fleece the public more??

Le Dieux, I completely understand where you are coming from, I love the COM but I haven't been there since they started charging rip-off prices :(

I suppose if the COM made it on to the list it would attract much needed tourism to all of Ireland, not just Clare. They reckon visitors to Ireland could increase by 30% if we had a presence on this list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

As far as I can see, this New7Wonders of Nature is an international commercial venture aiming at people either ringing a premium number to vote for a site or gathering email addresses from voters. It is not affiliated with the UNESCO organisation for example.
    I personally am a little dubious regarding its impact of tourist trade.
    Valerie

ValerieR wrote: »
    As far as I can see, this New7Wonders of Nature is an international commercial venture aiming at people either ringing a premium number to vote for a site or gathering email addresses from voters. It is not affiliated with the UNESCO organisation for example.
    Valerie

MrsD: I LOVE CLare, always have ( years ago spent every weekend in Lisdoonvarna in September). As I said in an old post, my OH is from SE Asia, and we have approximately 4 visits per year from Her Family. There were always 2 places we brought the visitors to: Kilkenny Castle, & The COM. Since the leeches decided to go on this price changing orgy, I stopped going there. Thats 4 adults per trip= 16 people over a year ( at least). Now, I turn left in Kilkee, and show them Loop Head and all the wonderful scenery down there -NO CHARGE. I feel for the small businesses involved in the tourist trade in the Lehinch/Doolin area as they must be suffering through the totally irresponsible actions of CCC in regard to the COM.

Valerie: It disturbs me if You are right, and I have no reason to disbelieve You. The COM must have been hit BADLY with their stupid decisions over the past few years & one can only assume they will do anything to get bodies to park up in that car park, and cross the road and dish out hard earned money - and TBH, one cannot blame them. As I say, I will NOT be voting for them.

ValerieR wrote: »
    Valerie

I also see there is a 2$ charge, and in return You get a PDF certificate emailed to You stating you voted for your chosen finalist.

Thanks for highlighting this 'huge' special offer Valerie.

Only word I can think of is WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I also see there is a 2$ charge, and in return You get a PDF certificate emailed to You stating you voted for your chosen finalist.

LOL :eek: - I hadn't spotted that ! Thanks - V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a wonder of the world:confused:

its just high cliffs one of many throughout the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

God almighty! I am sick to the back teeth of these Cliffs of Moher competitions. You think they're over and then another one pops up. Or maybe it's the same one going on and on. I don't actually want to hear a blessed thing about the Cliffs of Moher. People I know jumped off the damn things; people related to people I know jumped off them. Most of us must know someone who knows someone... We all hear the stories. It is just the saddest place now and if I so much as see someone breaking into a fast walk anywhere near the edge I nearly wet myself. Let tourists go see them if they want to and by all means promote them abroad. Although I doubt very much at this stage if tourist boards in the UK are promoting Beachy Head, pretty and all as it is or if the Californians are having big campaigns to promote walking across the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Clare is probably the most beautiful part of of ireland if not the world and we have negative people draging in down.

Ive been to most corners of this world and clare ranks very high, press the button!

Balagan, I completely understand where you are coming here. I too have known people who have ended their lives at the cliffs and I agree that is a very sad place for lots and lots of people. However, people unfortunately die on ours roads every Bank Holiday weekend but we don't all stay indoors and refuse to drive on bank holidays, life has to go on. While understandably for some people the cliffs are a very painful place to visit, however, for lots of tourists who visit they are appreciated for the wonderful natural attraction that they are.

I started this thread purely because I believe that the Cliffs are a wonderful attraction and if they made it on the 7 wonders list, it might bring much needed tourism to our county and our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

i dont mind this being done to bring tourists to Ireland but there are cliffs is two different parts of the country that are 3 times higher. Sliabh League in Donegal and Croaghaun on Achill, and neither of these 2 come anywhere near top of the list in world heights. They are just another set of cliffs unfortunately, not a wonder of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cliffs of Moher 10 years ago maybe.
    Not now.

overshoot wrote: »
    i dont mind this being done to bring tourists to Ireland but there are cliffs is two different parts of the country that are 3 times higher. Sliabh League in Donegal and Croaghaun on Achill, and neither of these 2 come anywhere near top of the list in world heights. They are just another set of cliffs unfortunately, not a wonder of the world
    I'd say that the Cliffs of Moher are more accessible to tourists than the other beautiful cliffs that you have mentioned and that is probably a factor in their selection as Ireland's nomination for the Seven Wonders List.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

There are a lot of comments about there being other cliffs in the world but how many cliffs 'throughout the world' enjoy the same level of popularity and fame? They must have something that gives them a unique spectacularity. I don't know what it is but maybe therein lies the wonder.

I have to say though a lot of the comments concerning the visitor centre and car park are ridiculous. The cliffs are up for vote not the project, try to keep this in perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I never get the whole "there are other xxxx" in other places, most places are unique, the Grand Canyon isn't just a hole in the ground, New York isn't just another city, the Eiffel Tower isn't just another tower, Wembley isn't just another stadium, they are unique places that have their own magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

fryup wrote: »
    a wonder of the world:confused:

its just high cliffs one of many throughout the world

in much the same way as the Angel Falls is just another waterfall ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

If you want to vote, vote

If you don't want to vote, don't.

I voted. Personally, I think it will be great for tourism - and we need all the tourism we can get.

• Advertisement

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Clare is probably the most beautiful part of of ireland if not the world and we have negative people draging in down.

Ive been to most corners of this world and clare ranks very high, press the button!

Sorry, must take You to task here AD.

NOBODY is saying negative things about Co. Clare, certainly not me. If there is anybody dragging Clare down, its the authorities running the COM. They are the people who have screwed Joe Public with their pricings, they are the ones who brought this negativity upon themselves.

Also, certainly as far as I am concerned, the shenanigans by CCC regarding the COM has always been seperated from everywhere else in Co. Clare & yes I agree with You, Clare IS the most beautiful county in Ireland.

One other thing: You say 'press the button', that mean You condone paying 2$ for the 'privelidge'? As far as I can see, that money goes nowhere near the upkeep of the COM, nor probably even back into Ireland in any format,

MyKeyG wrote:
    I have to say though a lot of the comments concerning the visitor centre and car park are ridiculous. The cliffs are up for vote not the project, try to keep this in perspective.

I am sorry, but for me, its the project that has drawn all the negativity onto the COM due to the running costs which the project has dictated the costs to. I think it's impossible to seperate one from the other.

I will always go to Co. Clare - love the place. But I will also always avoid the COM while it's charging the prices it does.

One other thing: You say 'press the button', that mean You condone paying 2$ for the 'privelidge'? As far as I can see, that money goes nowhere near the upkeep of the COM, nor probably even back into Ireland in any format

I was just wondering where does the $2 charge come in? I was on this website www.new7wonders.com/n7w and I voted free of charge :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Sorry to be negative, and obviously people should vote if they feel like it. But I won't be voting for it.

With all due respects to people's sensitivities, I'd hate to think that someone would visit the Cliffs of Moher and feel that was the best the country had to offer them.

I was just wondering where does the $2 charge come in? I was on this website www.new7wonders.com/n7w and I voted free of charge :confused:

I just checked the site again, and it clearly states on the 4th line on the page 'price.............2.00 USD'. I also notice towards the bottom of the page on the right are 2 buttons: 1 is for 'preview' and the other button is for 'Buy Now'. I proceeded no further, as ( for me ) this was just another 'exercise' to get folk to spend money.

I just checked the site again, and it clearly states on the 4th line on the page 'price.............2.00 USD'. I also notice towards the bottom of the page on the right are 2 buttons: 1 is for 'preview' and the other button is for 'Buy Now'. I proceeded no further, as ( for me ) this was just another 'exercise' to get folk to spend money.
    Thanks Le Dieux - You can vote here free of charge - http://www.new7wonders.com/vote-2. The cert seems to be an extra. My family and I all voted for free.

Thanks Le Dieux - You can vote here free of charge - http://www.new7wonders.com/vote-2. The cert seems to be an extra. My family and I all voted for free.

Without wanting to come across petty MrsD, this site address is totally different to the one originally furnished by Yourself.

As I have stated before on numerous occasion, I LOVE Co. Clare. I am just totally anti COM. So NO, I won't be voting

Without wanting to come across petty MrsD, this site address is totally different to the one originally furnished by Yourself.

As I have stated before on numerous occasion, I LOVE Co. Clare. I am just totally anti COM. So NO, I won't be voting
    Le Dieux - thanks for pointing that out, I can see where you are coming from. If you notice there is a tab on that page entitled "Vote" that was what I was directing people to, but I should have used a direct link http://www.new7wonders.com/vote-2.

We have actually spoken about the COM a few times and really we are on the same page, I love the COM but I haven't been to visit in a few years because of the charges. I voted for the cliffs in the hope that if they made it on to the list, it might bring more visitors to the county/country.

Le Dieux - thanks for pointing that out, I can see where you are coming from. If you notice there is a tab on that page entitled "Vote" that was what I was directing people to, but I should have used a direct link http://www.new7wonders.com/vote-2.

We have actually spoken about the COM a few times and really we are on the same page, I love the COM but I haven't been to visit in a few years because of the charges. I voted for the cliffs in the hope that if they made it on to the list, it might bring more visitors to the county/country.

Thanks MrsD. It kills me to knock anything that demeans our beautiful counties/country.

I just find it very hard to compliment a place where the authorities have done everything in their power to bleed the public out of their hard earned monies.

Good luck, though, with Your poll.

Thanks Le Dieux - I hope that you and your family enjoy many more visits to Co. Clare. As side from the COM, I hope you will always feel welcome - we aren't a bad lot down here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tatoo wrote: »
    in much the same way as the Angel Falls is just another waterfall ?

No, Angel Falls is the highest waterfall in the world.

Advertisement