Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliffs of Moher - New 7 Wonders of Nature - voting closes on 11/11/'11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Thanks Le Dieux - I hope that you and your family enjoy many more visits to Co. Clare. As side from the COM, I hope you will always feel welcome - we aren't a bad lot down here :D

Oh I will ALWAYS bring our overseas visitors down there MrsD. Only difference now is I turn left when we hit Kilkee, not right as in the past. The scenery down towards the Head is AWESOME - guess I have to thank the authorities from the COM for 'forcing' me to turn in that direction LOL But seriously, I have nothing but HAPPY memories of Co. Clare. And yes, there is so MUCH MORE than the Cliffs - one can think of Bunratty ( where we go nearly every year, and one can spend the whole day there), the medieval banquet I personally would recommend to anyone, and yes I discovered Meade there - WHAT A DRINK. I also live around Lisdoon, and then of course Doolin, a favourite haunt of mine in another lifetime:-)

As a matter of interest, how are the numbers for visiting the COM this year, any idea? I sure would love to think, by me, and possibly others staying away, we can force their hand into rethinking their pricing strategy. I miss the Cliffs. Standing in front of the Tower was like a 'fix' for me;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how are the numbers for visiting the COM this year, any idea? I sure would love to think, by me, and possibly others staying away, we can force their hand into rethinking their pricing strategy. I miss the Cliffs. Standing in front of the Tower was like a 'fix' for me;-)

I just had a look at the COM website and according to a press release in July 2011, visitor numbers are up.

Visitor Numbers Increase At Cliffs Of Moher - Nine jobs created as new café opens

Date: 05-Jul-2011

Visitor numbers at the Cliffs of Moher visitor attraction in County Clare jumped by 19% in the first six months of 2011, compared to the same period in 2010.

Figures released today show that visitor numbers hit 345,398 in the first half of the year, which typically accounts for 40% of overall annual visitors to the world famous visitor attraction. Visitor numbers also jumped last month to 107,740 from 96,462 in June 2010, an increase of 12%.

The announcement by management at the Cliffs coincides with the creation of nine new jobs as a result of a new deli style café, Cliffs View Café, which has been officially launched this week.

According to Katherine Webster, Director of Cliffs of Moher Visitor Experience: “We are delighted with the significant increase in visitor numbers to the Cliffs this year. The increase is especially noteworthy considering the poor weather conditions experienced in May and June in particular. The provision of visitor facilities such as the exhibition centre and our new café have ensured that the Cliffs of Moher is further establishing itself as an attractive year-round visitor destination, irrespective of the weather conditions.”

Meanwhile, a deli style cafe has been launched by Cliffs of Moher Centre Ltd. on the first floor of the Cliffs of Moher visitor centre. It replaces the Long Dock restaurant, operated by Moher Restaurants Ltd., which ceased trading in early June. An additional nine new jobs have been created. Cliffs of Moher Centre Ltd. now has a total of 50 employees making it one of the largest employers in the North Clare area.

Ms. Webster said the new café “will further enhance the overall visitor experience at the Cliffs of Moher”.

She added: “Cliffs View Cafe is operated by Cliffs of Moher Centre Ltd. and the focus is on good value and locally sourced food. The cafe is focussing on offering a selection of the fantastic local food products available in County Clare and includes local spring water, cheeses, baked good, smoked fish, ice-cream and fruit and vegetables among the fare on offer. The Cafe can seat 100 and free Wi-Fi is on offer throughout the area.”

The jump in visitor numbers and the opening of the new cafe will serve as a welcome boost to the Cliffs of Moher’s bid to be named one of the ‘New7Wonders of Nature’.

Among the other shortlisted sites are the Amazon Rainforest (South America), Table Mountain (SA), Bay of Fundy (CA), Black Forest (G), Vesuvius (IT), Galapagos Islands (EC), The Great Barrier Reef (AU) and The Grand Canyon (USA).
    The results will be announced on 11th November 2011.

-ENDS-

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/NewsDetail.aspx?article=280347&type=press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh I will ALWAYS bring our overseas visitors down there MrsD. Only difference now is I turn left when we hit Kilkee,

I always get mixed up between Kilrush and Kilkee

One of them anyway or possibly both you can charter fishing boats to bring you out for day

Extremely popluar for stag weekends, it's known around Ireland

They let you load up the boat with cans
    A little bit of fishing is done during the day also :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Sorry to be negative, and obviously people should vote if they feel like it. But I won't be voting for it.

With all due respects to people's sensitivities, I'd hate to think that someone would visit the Cliffs of Moher and feel that was the best the country had to offer them.
    What would you offer them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This footage was on Nationwide last week, hillarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

MyKeyG wrote: »
    What would you offer them?
    I'm not completely clear what you are asking; is the focus of your question if there is some way of presenting the Cliffs that might make some of us feel like supporting this campaign, or are you asking what I'd see as potentially more interesting?

If its the first, I can't think of anything much to say. For what its worth, I think we tend to oversell the rural/scenery angle. Increasingly, aren't people saying that more populated countries like France and even Britain have made a better fist of preserving their rural environment. The 'rugged, unspoilt countryside' line might have had some currency twenty years ago. But not so much now.

Depending on the interests of the visitor, I'd potentially suggest Newgrange as something that you won't find in Florida. In Clare, I'd probably suggest taking the ferry to Inishere as worth doing. Again depending on the visitor, I'd warn them not to expect thatched cottages, the sound of fiddles from every doorway or warm plates of boxty.

I'm not sure that rural Ireland is that interesting to outside visitors anymore. At least, not in the ways that we assume it to be. For all I know, the best selling point for Clare might be the surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

We didnt make the top 7 :(

BUT well done on being in the top 28 :)

I'm not completely clear what you are asking; is the focus of your question if there is some way of presenting the Cliffs that might make some of us feel like supporting this campaign, or are you asking what I'd see as potentially more interesting?

If its the first, I can't think of anything much to say. For what its worth, I think we tend to oversell the rural/scenery angle. Increasingly, aren't people saying that more populated countries like France and even Britain have made a better fist of preserving their rural environment. The 'rugged, unspoilt countryside' line might have had some currency twenty years ago. But not so much now.

Depending on the interests of the visitor, I'd potentially suggest Newgrange as something that you won't find in Florida. In Clare, I'd probably suggest taking the ferry to Inishere as worth doing. Again depending on the visitor, I'd warn them not to expect thatched cottages, the sound of fiddles from every doorway or warm plates of boxty.

I'm not sure that rural Ireland is that interesting to outside visitors anymore. At least, not in the ways that we assume it to be. For all I know, the best selling point for Clare might be the surf.
    Well you said
    With all due respects to people's sensitivities, I'd hate to think that someone would visit the Cliffs of Moher and feel that was the best the country had to offer them.
    So if not the Cliffs then where? You must have somewhere particular in mind if you said it. We're talking about natural wonders. Newgrange is man made so it can hardly be considered.

There's a reason why TCOM have featured in movies, music videos and is visited by hundreds of thousands of people each year where other sights are not.

If anything I think that gives them even more wonder status because to be truly honest I don't get it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Some serious issues have been raised about this competition.

Competition for seven wonders of natural world runs into trouble
    Organisers of contest to choose seven wonders accused of asking for millions for marketing, despite entry fee of $199
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/10/competition-seven-wonders-natural-world-trouble

And the seven winners are apparently only provisional winners...

The Amazon rainforest, Vietnam's Halong Bay and Argentina's Iguazu Falls were named among the world's new seven wonders of nature, according to organizers of a global poll.

The other four crowned the world's natural wonders are South Korea's Jeju Island, Indonesia's Komodo, the Philippines' Puerto Princesa Underground River and South Africa's Table Mountain, said the New7Wonders foundation, citing provisional results.

Final results will be announced early 2012, said the Swiss foundation, warning there may yet be changes between the provisional winners and the final list....

http://news.discovery.com/earth/new-seven-natural-wonders-111112.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Well you said So if not the Cliffs then where? You must have somewhere particular in mind if you said it. We're talking about natural wonders. Newgrange is man made so it can hardly be considered.
    I didn't have anywhere 'natural' in mind in particular. It's just I don't see the cliffs as outstanding. Ben Bulben, Glendalough, parts of West Cork that I don't know the name of, would be just a few 'landscapey' things that seem as good.

However, my point is a bit broader than that. My point is I wouldn't necessarily suggest any of those things to a visitor, depending on their interests - which is not the same as saying there is nothing worth seeing here. That's why I mention Newgrange and the ferry to Inishere as things that might actually interest a visitor.

• Advertisement

However, my point is a bit broader than that. My point is I wouldn't necessarily suggest any of those things to a visitor, depending on their interests - which is not the same as saying there is nothing worth seeing here. That's why I mention Newgrange and the ferry to Inishere as things that might actually interest a visitor.
    OK well I suppose the competition aside there are a few places, though a proud Clare man, that I would choose over COM. Bear in mind I see them on average three times a year so I might just be used to them. Personally I'd send visitors on the road to Dingle through Connor Pass, easily the most picturesque part of Ireland.

I didn't have anywhere 'natural' in mind in particular. It's just I don't see the cliffs as outstanding. Ben Bulben, Glendalough, parts of West Cork that I don't know the name of, would be just a few 'landscapey' things that seem as good.
    + for Ben Bulben & Drumcliffe, Co. Sligo. I'm a regular visitor to Sligo :)

I think Clare has alot to recommend it though

Surfing in Lahinch
    Flora and Fauna of the Burren
    Great beaches - Lahinch, Kilkee, Spanish Point.
    Dolphin Watching in Carraigaholt
    Golf Courses - Doonbeg, Lahinch
    Loophead Pennisula
    Lough Derg
    Traditional Music sessions in Doolin
    and loads more....................................... :)

There is a mountain up in Slgio which is a mini Table Mountain in Cape Town...AWESOME. Is that Ben Bulben MrsD?

Re all that You list in Co. Clare, if there is anyone looking at this who is contemplating going down there, i can vouch for all the spots MrsD has nominated. The only two I haven't done yet that You mention are the dolphin spotting & the surfing ( guess I'm too old for that now:-(), but may I also add Bunratty to Your List? It IS in Co. Clare, right? Personally, we love spending an enitre day walking the village when the weather isa warmer.

Lovely County, lovely people, what more could a person ask for?

There is a mountain up in Sligo which is a mini Table Mountain in Cape Town...AWESOME. Is that Ben Bulben MrsD?

Yes, Le_Dieux that is Ben Bulben Mountain, it is one of my favourite spots in Ireland but lots of people haven't heard about it. WB Yeats even wrote a poem about the mountain entitled - "Under Ben Bulben".

Here are some pictures. (Please forgive me Clareman, I know that strictly speaking they belong in the Sligo forum but with lots of people holidaying at home these days, Ben Bulben may be a spot that some Clare people might like to consider visiting ;):D )

1099_Ben_Bulben_Mountain_from_Barn_Ribbon.jpg

1252_Ben_Bulben_in_the_snow.jpg

4254_Ben_Bulben_Mountain.jpg

4250_Ben_Bulben_Mountain.jpg
    may I also add Bunratty to Your List? It IS in Co. Clare, right? Personally, we love spending an enitre day walking the village when the weather is warmer.

Yes, Bunratty is most definitely in Clare. I'm a big fan of the Folk Park myself, I currently have an annual family membership card so we get to visit on a regular basis. My five year old loves the place, they have lots of new play areas for children and it makes a nice change from the usual kids activity centres :)

Here is a list of popular Clare sites and attractions, it may be of interest to you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056340268

MrsD, You should be working for Bord Failte. I know the pics are not in Co. Clare, but they are simply stunning. And yes, thats the mountain I was referring to. I remember driving along a road and looking up, and thought I was back in Cape Town.

The links to Co. Clare are amazing, well worth a check out for anyone interested in one county of Our beautiful island. Go raibh mhile mhaith agat, MrsD.

The only tragedy is that the COM are not in with the other 'spots'. They would be for me, if there wasn't a feeling of being ripped off about the place.

MrsD, You should be working for Bord Failte.
    I think I'd really like that :D
    Go raibh mhile mhaith agat, MrsD.

Tá fáilte romhat mo chara :)

1252_Ben_Bulben_in_the_snow.jpg
    This looks like a nice big slice of Vienetta ice cream. So it gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone know when will the results of this be announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Read post 38 ;)

Cliffs fail in Wonders of Nature bid
    Written by Nicola Corless

THE local economy has missed out on a major tourism boost after the Cliffs of Moher failed to make it into the New 7 Wonders of Nature last Friday.

Initially, 440 places were identified as contenders for the New 7 Wonders of Nature. This was narrowed down to 77, before a further round of public voting brought the Cliffs onto the final shortlist of 28.

An unexpected early announcement of the top ranking 14 candidates in the New 7 Wonders of Nature global contest were announced at 4pm on Friday, November 11, 2011. The Cliffs of Moher, Ireland’s only finalist in the global campaign, was not one of the final 14.

The provisional list of the New 7 Wonders of Nature was then released later that evening. It named Amazon, Halong Bay, Iguazu Falls, Jeju Island, Komodo, Puerto Princesa Underground River and Table Mountain as the New 7 Wonders of Nature.

While the results are described as “provisional” it seems unlikely the Cliffs could jump more than seven places in any recount.

Mayor of Clare, Councillor Pat Hayes acknowledged that making it to the final seven of 440 was going to be a tough task.

“Of course, we’re disappointed that the Cliffs of Moher didn’t make it to the final seven but it was always going to be a huge challenge given the relative sizes of the population versus some of the successful candidates. More people than ever have heard of the Cliffs of Moher now and we will certainly look forward to welcoming them to Clare in the years ahead,” he said.

“All of us in Clare know the Cliffs of Moher is a special place and this campaign has put the Cliffs of Moher on the must-see list of many potential visitors to Ireland. The campaign has resulted in excellent exposure for the cliffs, for Clare and for the West of Ireland. The cliffs’ involvement in the contest has already benefited the local tourism economy,” he added.

The Cliffs of Moher vote, which gained significant momentum in the final weeks of the campaign, was not sufficient to overtake the front-runners.
    Ennis, county town of Clare, is twinned with Phoenix, the capital of Arizona, where the Grand Canyon also missed out on a Top 14 spot. The Bay of Fundy in Canada, which had linked with the Clare landmark early this year, was not named in the list either.

Director of the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Experience, Katherine Webster congratulated the winners and paid tribute to all those who had supported the cliffs campaign over the four years of the contest.

“We have been delighted to have the Cliffs of Moher contending for a spot in the New 7 Wonders of Nature and we know that a great number of Irish people and members of the Irish diaspora around the world weighed in with their support. We congratulate the top 14 candidates and the eventual winning seven.
    “Supporters [of the cliffs] included public figures who endorsed the campaign; State agencies, who promoted it nationally and globally; members of the national and local media, who gave considerable coverage to the contest and members of the local tourism industry, who put a considerable amount of work and resource into promoting the cliffs’ position.

“We are currently working on further enhancing the overall tourist product and look forward to continuing to welcome visitors to the Cliffs of Moher, to what is one of the natural wonders of the world.”

The New 7 Wonders of Nature contest was organised by the Swiss non-profit New 7 Wonders Foundation, an organisation who in 2007 completed a previous campaign to choose the New 7 manmade Wonders of the world.

The foundation has announced plans to release verified voting tallies in the coming days and they are already planning for their next voting campaign – New 7 Wonders Cities.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8213:cliffs-fail-in-wonders-of-nature-bid&catid=74:general&Itemid=60

28th out of 440 contenders isn't bad though.

• Advertisement

And not a word in The Clare Champion article about the very widely reported allegations of dodgy practice by the organizers of this competition. If The Guardian's reporting on the issue http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/10/competition-seven-wonders-natural-world-trouble
    didn't grab their, or the Cliffs of Moher Experience Director's attention, maybe something closer to home, like this from The Clare Herald
    http://www.clareherald.com/news/52-local/3610-controversy-surrounds-new-7-wonders-result.html might have.
    Why has the controversy been ignored in today's article?

Thanks for that website Balagan, I hadn't heard of Clare Herald before today :o The Clare People stopped offering free content a few months back, it is nice to know that there are other sites providing Clare news.

Thanks for that website Balagan, I hadn't heard of Clare Herald before today :o The Clare People stopped offering free content a few months back, it is nice to know that there are other sites providing Clare news.

Do you have any thoughts on the allegations about the competition which is the subject of this thread, a thread which you started?

I was merely thanking you for the website. My views on the COM are well known, I've stated them on this thread and on other COM threads

I was merely thanking you for the website. My views on the COM are well known, I've stated them on this thread and on other COM threads

I have indeed read your views about the Cliffs of Moher. I was asking if you had any thoughts about how this competition is now mired in controversy, a controversy which the main local newspaper is ignoring?

I've huge issues with the way the COM is currently being run but I started this thread as part of me wanted the COM to make the final seven because of possible tourism benefits to Clare and the rest of the country.

As it turns the COM came 28 out of 440 which isn't a bad result. As for the controversy it don't really interest me to be honest.

Mrs D, I admire Your fighting spirit. I agree with Your sentiment regarding the controversy, but for me, why am I not surprised there IS a cloud over something that the COM are involved in? That Guardian report is damning.

As for the CH site, I don't know what's wrong, but I can't open any site of the CH:-(

As for the CH site, I don't know what's wrong, but I can't open any site of the CH:-(
    I just checked the site now as I was hoping to copy and paste the article on to the thread so you could read it but unfortunately, the site is timing out :(

Le_Dieux - Here is the article from the Clare Herald Website.
    Tuesday, 15 November 2011 10:20

Written by Pat Flynn

The organisers of the New 7 Wonders of Nature competition have defended a decision to change the format of the contest at the last minute in what has been another glitch in the controversy-riddled event.

Online and text voting in the global competition ceased at 11.11am on Friday with the expectation that there would be one announcement at 7.07pm when the winning 7 wonders would be confirmed.

This had been widely advertised by the Geneva-based New 7 Wonders Foundation and was what had been expected by the 28 entrants, known as Official Supporting Committees (OSC's), and the millions of people who voted.

However, at 3.40pm on Friday, with just 20 minutes notice, the competition format was changed and the 28 OSC's were told by email that the top 14 would be confirmed in advance of the final announcement.

The Cliffs of Moher in Co Clare was one of the entrants which did not feature in the top 14 when they were announced 3 hours ahead of time and lost out on reaching the final 7.

"This was contrary to everything they had told us up to then about not releasing rankings," a surprised spokesman for the Cliffs of Moher bid confirmed.

Defending the move however, a spokesman for New 7 Wonders said: "We did it because we were able to compute the results faster than expected and we wanted, with this, to say something to honour all 28 Finalists, including the Cliffs of Moher, without that message being lost in the noise that would surround the announcement of the final 7 later."

This was not the first time however the competition found itself shrouded in controversy.

In August, Indonesia's Komodo Island National Park withdrew from the competition describing it as “not credible” and “unaccountable.” The organising committee however refused to recognise or accept the decision.

The Indonesian Government is questioning the legality of the foundation’s move to maintain the island’s bid however, in a surprise move, Komodo Island was listed among the final 7 'provisional winners.'

Also in August, the N7W foundation attempted to push the closing date out by 13 months to December next year. This was vehemently opposed by many OSC's including the Cliffs of Moher who had geared their campaigns towards yesterday's closing date and the plan was quickly scrapped.

At the time, a spokesman for the Cliffs bid said: "The present difficulties being experienced within the competition are indeed unfortunate and unhelpful."

After making the final announcement on Friday night, the organisers then said that the 7 were only the 'provisional New7Wonders of Nature based on the first count of vote results'

"It is possible that there will be changes between the above provisional winners and the eventual finally confirmed winners. The voting calculation is now being checked, validated and independently verified, and the confirmed winners will be announced starting early 2012 during the Official Inauguration ceremonies," the New 7 Wonders Foundation confirmed.

http://www.clareherald.com/news/52-local/3610-controversy-surrounds-new-7-wonders-result.html

• Advertisement

Except for the fact that the Harbour of Rio de Janeiro made it I wouldn't feel too disappointed but I have no idea why that was chosen. It's crap compared to the other six. In fact I'm surprised it made it into the final list at all.

Advertisement