Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting files off an old laptop hard drive

• 02-11-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭

here is the link to the hard drive out of my cousins old laptop.

she is just looking to get a few files off of it. will computer repair shops have the necessary connections to easily (and cheaply) to get a few files off of it to put on a usb stick. she has a new laptop, but i do not want to open up hers (or mine) to connect the old hard drive. could just lead to un necessary problems IMO.

all suggestions welcome. her main problem is she synced her iphone with the new laptop, clearing it of all her numbers and photos.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

take it out (easily removed without dismantling everything), and buy a sata cable fairly cheaply (usb one end) - connect to new laptop and files should be readable. Also you can get freeware to image the drive and extract files if it can't be read normally. Is the old laptop not booting or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

old laptop broke down , harvey norman gave her a new one, as she had a 2 yr warrenty. she had an acer, they gave her a hp instead. they also gave her the hard drive as that should still be working as it was not the cause of the problem.

if i was to buy the cable for her, what should i look up exactly, and where , ebay ?

or will a shop just charge €10/€15 to get the file off of it ?

thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Just check out USB/Sata cables, you can very easily pick them up. Its also easy enough to get external HD cases that will do the same job. I picked one up before in PC world, theyre not expensive.

Advertisement