Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A great idea to save millions?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

anymore wrote: »
    Ni I wont shoot you down but will offer another suggestion - only allow people in the HSE to take sick leave if ........they are sick. Spoke with a lady yesterday who was refreshed after her annual sick leave !

Isn't it the norm to just add your annual allowance of paid sick days to your annual leave days to get your total annual leave when working for the HSE and they don't hide the fact, they actually brag about it. Aragggh:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭firemansam4

ElWalrus wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. It was just a thought I had on how to cut down on welfare fraud, but I'm happy to have holes poked in the idea. Actually that same argument came into my head when I started thinking about how you would go about implement it. Not easy to come up with ideas to reduce social welfare spending that targets those that abuse the system without impacting on those that really need it.

I totally agree with doing something to cut down on welfare fraud, and to do something about those people who just want to sponge off the state.
    But in these times there are many genuine people who have been totally caught out by the hard times we are in and found them selves out of work through no fault of there own, hard working people who have paid taxes all there lives.
    So is it right then that now we should bring out a new system and completely demean anyone who have found themselves in this situation? god knows a lot of people are demeaned enough after loosing there jobs as it is.

There needs to be ways to stop welfare fraud but not at the expense of demeaning every single person who maybe unfortunate enough to lose there jobs.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    so what about all the families who are actually worse off than those who have done nothing but leeched on the state all their lives? having educated themselves, both parents working their asses of, big mortgage etc to be paid?

Where did this comment get thrown from? Is this a dig at everyone now on the welfare system?
    Are you saying that none of us are educated and we have all leeched off the state?
    Of course there needs to be help for any families out there struggling, if they are working or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Not paying it out in cash should be the first step.

Then, scum bags couldn't spend it on drugs and rich people wouldn't be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Big Mouth wrote: »
    I want to throw this idea out there:

Basically cut child benefit by 50% immediately. Then after three months offer people a chance to withdraw from child benefit for a one off payment of €500 or something like that (Aimed at higher income families).

Obviously some details would need to be ironed out but the general premise is very good I think the country would save hundreds of milllions.

I think it encourages more personal responsibilty, less sense of entitlement and it would allow for alot more public spending on things like child healthcare.

Shoot me down people......

Good idea but wrong target...
    Why don't we tackle the enormous cost of public/civil service pensions.
    These are a serious drain on our limited resources and are way over the top!!

Advertisement