Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Great Southern Hotel (Beside GMIT)

Options
  • 02-11-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats going on there? Seems to be a lot of activity there the past 2 weeks or so. They have all the lower level boarded up, cut the grass on the property and have just cleaned the place up in general!

Is someone interested in the property or has it been just a well due spring cleaning? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I thought the GMIT had either bought it, or made a deal to use it from Gerry Barrett. Not certain, something i read about in a local rag a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Galway Clinic have been using it as an overflow carpark for the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's an awful eyesore.

I'd love to see it flattened tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's an awful eyesore.

I'd love to see it flattened tbh.

So buy it and knock it, otherwise STFU!

As has been said above, Galway Clinic have been using it as a car-park for the past while. However, I did notice labourers in and out of the place, so possibly something going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

JohnCleary wrote: »
    So buy it and knock it, otherwise STFU!

A touch harsh don't you think ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It always amazed me now that NAMA are involved, GMIT never approached them about taking over the whole thing. Car parking, accommodation, run the hotel and catering school out of it, free up space for other areas in the main campus. A bit of joined up thinking wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »
    It always amazed me now that NAMA are involved, GMIT never approached them about taking over the whole thing. Car parking, accommodation, run the hotel and catering school out of it, free up space for other areas in the main campus. A bit of joined up thinking wouldn't go astray.

Inter-departmental communication & strategy? In Ireland? Are you having the lolz? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its being stripped and prepped for demolition.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

any way to get into it to take some photos?
    I'd be very interested in that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

dinneenp wrote: »
    any way to get into it to take some photos?
    I'd be very interested in that...

I wouldnt do that if I were you, apparently sewage is overflowing in there and there are rats all over the place, its a good thing there demolishing it, always thought it was a great spot to have a business or otherwise tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

they may not be involved. it may be funded by a bank that is not part of the NAMA solution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Site was sold two days ago, planning permission application will be sent in for restaurant and apartment block. At long last it will be knocked to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Yep, sold for €3.5m a few weeks ago. Bloody hell, that's some haircut in 'value'!

http://www.connachttribune.ie/news/item/512-uk-developers-poised-to-join-buying-spree-in-galway-c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The cost of moving the hotel and catering school into a new building would be insane, I don't know if you realise just how much stuff there is in the hotel and catering school, between demo kitchens, practice restaurants, practical kitchens, bakery, larder, etc, etc, etc all of which were built to spec and designed for their intended use.

You'd be looking at hundreds of thousands of euros to relocate the school across the road, and that's just in redesigning the inside of the hotel to accommodate it, Never mind the rest of the costs involved. I know it sort of sounds like a good idea, but it's actually a pretty terrible idea in practice. You'd also have to build lecture halls, laboratories, storage areas, etc. it's totally unneeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Agree with the above reply. It's a huge undertaking. The whole building would need to be revamped to make it usable. GMIT are committed to numerous capital developments already. It was discussed as another campus but there just simply isnt the funding to make this happen. Unfortunately, big business sees the only feasible money maker for this site is as a carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bofinfan

Would be great to see something happening there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RHJ wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes. We just don't know what, or when.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

they applied for permission to extend their planning to demolish but that expired in march . so it looks like nothing will happen for a while at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

youngrun wrote: »
    Look at the date "Posted February 12, 2015 by Lorraine O'Hanlon"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Look at the date "Posted February 12, 2015 by Lorraine O'Hanlon"

Yes I wonder if negotiations are ongoing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

youngrun wrote: »
    Yes I wonder if negotiations are ongoing?

Nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

CPO it for social housing. It has views, adjacent to a tertiary institution, garda station, fantastic sports facilities, excellent transport connection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    CPO it for social housing. It has views, adjacent to a tertiary institution, garda station, fantastic sports facilities, excellent transport connection etc.

Why social housing?? I'd to pay full whack for my house and don't have access to all those facilities.

Why social housing?? I'd to pay full whack for my house and don't have access to all those facilities.
    Cos social housing tenants are people too. :)

That site should be generating millions in an unused-development-plot tax, if we had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

That site should be generating millions in an unused-development-plot tax, if we had one.

its on the derelict sites register afaik, so its generating 3% omv per annum for the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Of course they are but why not reopen it as a hotel or extra space for gmit or redevelop it into government buildings or a community enterprise centre etc.

Of course they are but why not reopen it as a hotel or extra space for gmit or redevelop it into government buildings or a community enterprise centre etc.
    Because housing is the #1 priority for the government, have you not heard?
    Anyway, my point is that it should be CPO'd for a greater societal good if the developer/owner is leaving it idle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sports facilities?

How much do you think it would cost to either convert the existing buildings to long-term units, or to demolish and re-build?

NB it wasn't even an option to use it for student housing when it closed, because people living for months in a place need facilities like laundries etc which weren't there.

Advertisement