Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rahan tullamore

Options
  • 02-11-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all

I am going to Rahan Tullamore Co. Offaly. I am not familar with the area and was hoping someone may have an idea how to get to it. I am familar with how to get to athlone but would like to know how could i get to rahan directly from the M6 if at all possible. if anyone has any idea how to get to rahan and what the best route would be i would be very grateful. i must also mention that the company i am looking for in rahan is called nis ltd if anyone is familar with it.

i would be grateful if replys could be sent asap as i have to go to rahan on friday

regards

Colm Towey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Bring a GPS and an interpreter.

Rahan is a large parish. You really need to be more specific but this bing mapmight be accurate. seems arse end of nowhere but bing will give you a route map to it from where ever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrtulachmhor

hi colm, exit M6 for tullamore, drive towards tullamore and turn right at sign posted Ardan, then drive towards Centra shop on right hand side (bout 2 min), turn right at Centra and drive straight through 2 roundabouts, after that you pass by nissan garage on left hand side, then you come to small roundabout and take 2 exit posted Rahan. Rahan is about 3 or 4 miles out that road. hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭colmtowey

Hi thanks for your reply. To be more specific I am looking for a company called nis ltd. Would u know what junction to exit at for tullamore. I think it is either junction 6 or junction 8. Your direction have been very helpful and thanks again

Regards

Colm Towey

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mrtulachmhor

Exit at Junction 5, sign posted Kilbeggan/Tullamore and take the tullamore road, i have not heard of that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

NIS are a computer services company. I'm surprised that, being a computer services company, they haven't got a google directions widget on their webpage. But the nature of their business (can't remember the chaps's name) is that (I would imagine) customers almost never come to them. I imagine they are your customer. Anyway, that's irrelevant here.

If you have gps, then once you take that 2nd exit on the roundabout that @mrtulachmhor has directed you to, you will then immediately pass over a steep railway bridge (Dublin Galway Westport line) That's ballydrohid. Then on to Ballynamire. There you'll encounter a very severe full chicane (high, concrete-walled), passing the junction at that corner for Clara and for Esker Hills Golf Club and then follow the road again for 2+ miles, through Ballykeenaghan. these are all just townlands but they may show up on your gps.

Coming into Rahan village, you'll see a housing estate on your left, a walled estate (Old Jesuit college and later a nursing home) on your right and you'll make your way onto Rahan bridge. Crossing it, the T junction's right takes you out to where NIS are. Go left around a 90 degree bend, straighten up, pass a national school on the right, then an old petrol pumps (perhaps) on the right at the foot of another high bridge. Although it looks like a T junction, its a Y. You have right of way so veer left up the bridge, as you descend it you are now into NIS country. Or the home place anyway. Gerry I think his name was. A few yrs younger than me.

The centre of this map, Cappaloughan, should be where you're looking for.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=+rahan+tullamore&hl=en&ll=53.2792,-7.633095&spn=0.009032,0.026135&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=4.612823,13.381348&vpsrc=6&hnear=Tullamore,+County+Offaly&t=h&z=15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

The link I gave gives exact directions, junction by junction to the location but I'd still not follow those directions and drive all the way around the tullamore by-pass and approach it from the Blueball as the roads the other side are quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Eleganza wrote: »
    The link I gave gives exact directions, junction by junction to the location but I'd still not follow those directions and drive all the way around the tullamore by-pass and approach it from the Blueball as the roads the other side are quite poor.

That's true. By Screggan Cross is best actually, coming off the bypass. I'd forgotten about the bypass when my mind drifted to Rahan from the M6 :D

Advertisement