Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Shampoo

Options
  • 02-11-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Since I know J&J is trusted among many parents, I thought it relevant to post this:
    The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics came out with the news two years ago that Johnson & Johnson’s iconic baby shampoo contained the formaldehyde-releasing preservative quaternium-15, as well as the chemical byproduct 1,4-dioxane. Formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane are known carcinogens. The federal Consumer Product Safety Commission has reported that “the presence of 1,4-dioxane, even as a trace contaminant, is cause for concern,”...
    There are also other, non-baby products in the company’s lines that are of concern, Archer notes, and additional chemicals of concern, beyond formaldehyde and 1,4-dioxane, in the company’s baby products (such as fragrance, which is protected by trade secret laws and could contain any number of potentially dangerous chemicals).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amywestervelt/2011/11/01/as-report-reveals-toxic-ingredients-in-baby-shampoo-johnson-johnson-goes-public-with-plans-to-clean-up-products/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

In my kids J&J products caused desperate cradle cap so I ,ve no time for it.
    Sadly most cosmetic product have dreadful chemicals. I try and use best one I can afford and also use as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

also their 'baby oil' is made of petroleum and a long list of chemicals. Why would anyone choose that over e.g. olive oil which seems to be kinder on the skin and is natural (and even cheaper)?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Good god! Can anyone recommend a good baby shampoo so? My little guy has so much hair he needs something to clean it and I was using J&J Baby shampoo, but I've just gone and binned it after reading that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

this is dreadful scaremongering

"chemicals" are as natural as olive oil....everything is taken from the natural world

as for shampoo causing cradle cap, this could only be the case if your baby's hair was being washed excessively (i.e. more than twice a week)

this isn't the shampoo's fault, it is your fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mod: I approved the last post. It's a bit trolly but is partly true.
    I've also edited the thread title as it's a bit inflammatory: /Mod

All shampoos use some sort of chemicals. Different kids will react differently to them. We used J&J shampoo with no cradle cap. A lot of baby oils are petroleum based. J&J are being targetted with this report but they are not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We use a klorane baby bath and shampoo but only a tiny amount at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Orion wrote: »
    All shampoos use some sort of chemicals. ... J&J are being targetted with this report but they are not alone.

As per the first part of the quote, that's not fully true. There are many completely natural soaps/shampoos but most people don't take the time or energy to discover them.

As per the second part of the quote, it is true that J&J are not alone, but they hold a massive part of markets around the world which is why I thought it relevant to start this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Columos wrote: »
    this is dreadful scaremongering

Wow, since when is showing the facts "dreadful scaremongering?" I'm not exaggerating what J&J puts in their products, it's on their ingredients list. What's wrong with pointing that out? :rolleyes:
    Columos wrote: »
    "chemicals" are as natural as olive oil....everything is taken from the natural world

That's rubbish. There is a *massive* difference in making a cleaning product from plant products (ie: fruits/leaves/oils) versus biologically engineering something out of a test tube. What comes out of the test tube is not a creation of Nature and to claim that one's equal to the other is absurd. And yes I understand that plant products can contain natural chemicals (we all do as living beings) but messing with the natural biological balance of things can have its consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I use the sanex 0% for sensitive skin on myself cos i've very sensitive skin, and i use the aveeno on my 21 month old.. i don't use anything on the baby except water... he's had one bath.. he's 3 weeks old and had extremely dry skin cos he was 13 days late.. his skin is lovely and clear now but as soon as he gets another bath it'll dry up again for a few days.:rolleyes:
    everything you put on your skin is absorbed into it and has to be processed by the liver.. a baby's skull is not closed so it pays to take care with what you put on it..the sanex is a good one for thick baby hair..;)
    perfumes salts colourings and foaming agents are all irritants to sensitive skin.. baby skin being the most sensitive of all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have never used j&j baby products on my daughter. I got a packet of their wipes which I used but dumped as soon as I tried them on myself, they gave me a rash!

For baby bath & shampoo I use the Elave baby range. I find them brilliant a bit pricey at 9.50 a bottle but I have only bought one bottle of baby bath & another of shampoo which I am still using and my daughter is 11 months old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I found the elave products fantastic on my kids too. I would agree that its pricey but when only the teeniest bit is used it last s ages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

http://www.mustela.com/en/main.html#/baby-products/baby-care/bathing/baby-shampoo

I've been using this for my daughter, she had cradle cap and a girl from Poland reccommended it to me. Thats where she got it. Its not sold here, but my sister got it in lanzarote for me. After 2 washes the cradle cap was gone, as Cbryd, I only bath her every few weeks but after 15 days or so the cradle cap comes back but the shampoo gets rid of it.

Advertisement