Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview

• 02-11-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm living in Ennis (Tulla Rd) and was wondering if you know any type of indoor aeriel that will pick up digital signal. Would prefer to avoid cost of outdoor one if possible. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I live in shannon and was able to pick up saorview with a bog standard wire coat hanger held in my hands ! Granted i upgraded a few hours later to one of those plug in antennas that they have in aldi/lidl/argos which i had lying around the house, and the signal is perfect.
    Odd thing is, saorview comes in perfectly while the old broadcase method came in very very very poor, go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hazzard1

i live in east meath i have a Saorview box connected
    to a roof ariel its fine untill the wind blows like last night
    then its unwatchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I tried it with a rabbits ears aerial for the craic and was amazed to see that it worked.

thanks for that Ill give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

ollaetta wrote: »
    I tried it with a rabbits ears aerial for the craic and was amazed to see that it worked.

+1, Worked for the girlfriend with the rabbits ears too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

To the O.P:
    Living in Ennis, you're on Maghers transmitter and will pick up Saorvire with just about anything.

The the poster who's signal dies in the wind:
    Your aerial may have been originally pointing at a transmitter which isn't yet broadcasting Saorview, or it may be off target.

Most people do not need a new antenna for Saorview and it's always worth trying your existing one before getting a new one installed.

Hope this is helpful and saves someone a few quid ;)

g

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

This is probably a stupid, stupid question but anyway ... if you have 2 tv's will you need 2 of these set top boxs?

Callan57 wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid, stupid question but anyway ... if you have 2 tv's will you need 2 of these set top boxs?

Not stupid, but yes, you'd need to split the signal from the antenna to 2 STB's, one feeding each TV.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

Thanks for the replies folks. Didn't think the rabbit ears wud work but will give them a try.

i bought two sets of rabbits ears in Spain last year
    but I got no result useing them bought one locally
    and Bingo perfect picture on all Saorview channels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maggienx

I'm new here and this forum looks good. Does anybody know is it possible to get a tuner usb type for a laptop which could get saorview and ideally be able to record tv programs?? Any help appreciated.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

phill106 wrote: »
    I live in shannon and was able to pick up saorview with a bog standard wire coat hanger held in my hands ! Granted i upgraded a few hours later to one of those plug in antennas that they have in aldi/lidl/argos which i had lying around the house, and the signal is perfect.
    Odd thing is, saorview comes in perfectly while the old broadcase method came in very very very poor, go figure!
    I think that's to do with the superiority of a digital signal over a analogue one. Not sure though.

Im afrade I have just about given up om Saorview
    the rabbits ears worked for a short time then the
    picture began to jump about as before I went back
    to the Saorview box same thing .Maybe R T E are
    still testing it I dont know in the meantime I have
    gone back to Analogue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tech Phobe

will i receive saorview through a chorus aerial or sky dish?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tech Phobe wrote: »
    Nope, in fact you might damage your equipment if you hook it up to a Chorus aerial (it's powered), a Sky dish will only get a satellite signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tech Phobe

Nope, in fact you might damage your equipment if you hook it up to a Chorus aerial (it's powered), a Sky dish will only get a satellite signa

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I was in the local electrical shop about two weeks ago, and they had an offer for a 32" tv, (€299)which was saorview ready.
    does this mean that i dont need a box?

I have a bog standard ariel, and the sales guy told me that he will come out and install the saorview for me.

from this thread, it seems that some people have got saorview without a set top box.

so my questions are:
    If I buy the TV which is "saorview ready", do i need a box as well?
    i assume my existing ariel in the attic (RTE1, Net 2 TV3 TG4) will work for saorview. (taking into account it may need to be adjusted)
    Will Saorview work without a set top box?

thanks
    H2FF.

You won't need a set top box, and you may not need any changes to your aerial, but that's not guaranteed. There are many variables.

Bring it home, plug it in, and go through the tuning process. You MAY well be ready to go :)

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

But i dont need a new telly, the one i have is fine!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If your TV is Saorview ready it means it comes with the proper decoder (MPEG4 I think) built in, in other words it has the set top box built into it, this is usually the best option as the TV is setup ready to go.

In regards to whether an aeriel is needed or not, I believe a good rule of thumb is if you get TV3 with a good picture you don't need a new aerial. I would suggest folks visit the Terrestrial TV forum for some very well informed discussion on this topic.

• Advertisement

no H2FF if you buy a Saorview ready T.V you dont need a set top box
    but you will need to have an Ariel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maggienx

Tech Phobe wrote: »

I don't think there is actually a chorus aerial as such. We have had the same rooftop aerial for years now (pre chorus digital) . When we changed to chorus digital about 4 years ago, it worked perfectly on the same aerial. We now have a saorview tv and saorview works fine on the same aerial too. I think if your aerial is the right type, you should be fine. I don't think saorview is available on a sky dish, but can stand corrected on this.

Chorus aerials in Clare are MMDS receivers, completely different technology to what terrestrial (RTÉ) TV is broadcast on, but because of the power of the Maghera transmitter it means that almost any aerial in Clare might pick up the signal, if you are getting a Saorview signal off a Chorus aerial I would suggest that you are more than likely getting it from the cable going up to the mesh dish rather than the actual mesh dish.

The only way you can get RTÉ from a satellite dish is via a Sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

what is the difference between saorview ready and saorview approved??

I think saorview ready means it has correct hardware to get the signal and display it and saorview approved means that the tuner has been approved by the supplier of saorview, both should work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If buying a Saorview TV, get one that is 'approved' ....... I can find nothing to indicate that Saorview-ready means that such a device will actually receive all future options that might be used by RTÉ ...... but if anyone has info to the contrary I would be delighted to read it ;)

Your tv must have a MPEG4 tuner OR you must get a set top box (STB). The sales person will halp you determine this.

MPEG2 is the UK standard and will not work here.

g

Saorview ready is not an official term and is probably applied to any MPEG-4 H.264@L4 device which has not been approved. Whether it will keep working or not is dependent on what features the device supports (e.g. MHEG-5).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi, I got a saorview box for the bedroom tv for christmas. We have a sky dish and an aerial for the old free to air channels, will the saorview work off either of these two aerials or have I to get a new aerial for the saorview. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

If you can get TV3 off the old aerial you should be able to get Saorview, it definitely won't work off the sky dish.

Advertisement