Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frog!

• 02-11-2011 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

We had a frog in our kitchen the other day! The back door was open and it just hopped in! It may have been a toad (I haven't a clue what the difference is tbh)....

Anyway, we don't live in a rural area, the back garden is walled on all sides, and none of our neighbours seem to have a pond or anything! We never had one before. We just put him back out the door... He showed up again a couple of days later!!

We have 2 small dogs and they were mad to sniff him, but each time they did he hopped up into their face and they s**t themselves and ran off! I'd hate to think one of them got him and killed him, but I can't catch him (I tried to pick him up but he kept getting away - too slippery).

Anyway, just wondering where he might have come from? Can they come up through drains??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd love to know if anyone has any theories cos I had a similar situation too in my mothers house. She had a 3 bed semi, walled garden with gardens surrounding hers, I came into the kitchen one afternoon to find a frog/toad sitting in the dogs water bowl and one of the dogs just sitting there watching it! No idea where it came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I haven't had any joy Googling where it might have come from. I thought someone here could give me an idea where it possibly came from?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Funnily enough this was covered on AutumnWatch the other day. Someone had the same story as you OP and couldn't understand where it came from.

They exaplained that Frogs will/can move up to 3km from the pond they live in to find somewhere to hibernate and that walled gardens are no match for them.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Funnily enough this was covered on AutumnWatch the other day. Someone had the same story as you OP and couldn't understand where it came from.

They exaplained that Frogs will/can move up to 3km from the pond they live in to find somewhere to hibernate and that walled gardens are no match for them.

This has me a little :confused::confused::confused: - I read that some species of frog have been known to jump huge distances, but that the types found in Ireland generally can jump up to 7 times their own size.... the walls around the garden are about 1.5 metres tall.... now way he'd jump that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They don't jump, they climb :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

My kids brought tadpoles home from a local park during the summer. We put them into a flower pot in the garden that we have a fish in and the tadpoles survived - we ended up getting 9 grown frogs from the 12 tadpoles. We ended up giving them to a neighbour who has a pond - but just goes to show they could live and thrive in a flower pot! You dont need a pond to have frogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

aisher wrote: »
    My kids brought tadpoles home from a local park during the summer. We put them into a flower pot in the garden that we have a fish in and the tadpoles survived - we ended up getting 9 grown frogs from the 12 tadpoles. We ended up giving them to a neighbour who has a pond - but just goes to show they could live and thrive in a flower pot! You dont need a pond to have frogs.
    It's illegal to steal tadpoles from the wild. A "flower pot" is not a great place for tadpoles, especially if there was a fish in it. Fish would eat tadpoles especially in a confined space like a flower pot. I seriously doubt you got 9 frogs from 12 tadpoles. Only a tiny percentage of tadpoles manage to develop into frogs. If the tadpoles did manage to develop into frogs they would likely drown in the flower pot.
    If people want frogs in their garden just dig a pond (even a small one that has a sloping edge ). Wild frogs will eventually find the pond and spawn in it if it is suitable for them. A "flower pot" ain't a suitable place:mad:.

Alun wrote: »
    They don't jump, they climb :)

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Traonach wrote: »
    It's illegal to steal tadpoles from the wild. A "flower pot" is not a great place for tadpoles, especially if there was a fish in it. Fish would eat tadpoles especially in a confined space like a flower pot. I seriously doubt you got 9 frogs from 12 tadpoles. Only a tiny percentage of tadpoles manage to develop into frogs. If the tadpoles did manage to develop into frogs they would likely drown in the flower pot.
    If people want frogs in their garden just dig a pond (even a small one that has a sloping edge ). Wild frogs will eventually find the pond and spawn in it if it is suitable for them. A "flower pot" ain't a suitable place:mad:.

Well I will be sure to tell the kids to leave tadpoles alone in future.
    This is one of the frogs - the goldfish never bothered with the tapoles - they seemed to just do fine in the flower pot - I would agree a flower pot is not ideal but there you go they did develop into frogs -must be pretty resiliant.

DSC02397.jpg?t=1320421108

Advertisement