Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guest Speaker Thread

Options
  • 02-11-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hi all i just want to try something and see how it works.

I find it absolutely impossible to keep track of speakers being brought in by Lawsoc, L&H etc and when i do see a poster its usually only a few hours before. Therefore i was thinking it might be handy to have a thread listing information on what guests are coming in and when. Might also be handy to know which ones have cancelled too because i havent heard a thing about Armando Iannucci or Hans Zimmer for example since freshers.

What does everyone think? Does anyone have info for guests coming in besides Christopher Lee (who should be fantastic)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ehm, I guess as Lawsoc committee I can probably comment on this. Firstly due to a couple of years in a row of "exaggerating" what guests Lawsoc and L&H were getting in, we're no longer able to promote "maybe" guests, hugely in advance. Which is one of the reasons this hasn't been quite as clear.

I can tell you right now, Judge Judy was announced on freshers week, however that even is likely going to take place in September 2012. I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information.

What I can tell you, is a friend on the L&H Committee has re-assured me they'll be filling theatre L twice or three times in the second semester (sometimes its a bit of a pissing contest between me and him, and he's worried cause this year I am winning). And a certain group owes Lawsoc a favour that might result in a HUGE guest, in the second semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Do you have to be a member of L&H / Lawsoc to get into these talks? I'm staff at this stage, but would love to see Armando Iannucci and Brian Cox (I thing L&H promised those)

Usually depends on the size of the talk. For instance we took membership at Christopher Lee yesterday, but we didn't take it at either Brian Hobbs or David McWilliams. (Essentially what I am saying is members get priority).

It's unlikely either of those talks will fill, but if they do sign ups will be open at the door. You can sign up for 2e use your old student number, or one you make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bump. Anyone have any idea when Hans Zimmer will be coming to UCD? Likewise for Brian Cox? Also, any actors/filmmakers expected this side of 2012?

Lawsoc are in the middle of elections at the moment.

We have a guest that I would call a theatre L filler due to come in sometime this semester. But until there is 100% confirmation I don't want to make any promises.

We have another of other important academics and I'll keep you guys posted on them as the news comes.

Last I heard Brian Cox was still scheduled to come in for the L&H but I haven't heard much from Hans Zimmer is a while.

I'll have more information if I win the Lawsoc election this year :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement