Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia-Microsoft marriage?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Does anyone here think that Nokia will eventually become the only Windows Phone manufacturer?

Which phone would you buy? 17 votes

Nokia Lumia 800
    0%
    Samsung Focus S
    82%
    JohnDigitaljimmycrackcormwheresmybeavermoc63johnny_rambocoldfire1xblarney_armyjahalpinBostonBAntiVirusWalkmanmad muffinDjFlinTechnoKid 14 votes
    HTC Titan
    17%
    johnny_rambosimi956evolutionqy7 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

The only way this will happen is if manufacturers abandon Windows Phone. I cannot see Microsoft restricting Windows Phone to just Nokia. It would be more beneficial for the OS and the brand to be on as many different devices as possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Samsung Focus S
    No, in fact there's more joining since Nokia announced they would be making windows phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TechnoKid

Samsung Focus S
    I'm not saying Microsoft ordering, just the slow decline in production from other manufacturers then only Nokia continuing. Just a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Nokia and Microsoft do have a different arrangement than other OEM's do. Nokia need to differentiate themselves, and that means having exclusive features built into Windows Phone.

I hope they don't become the only manufacturer, but I hope they'll be the best. WP needs it. I'd hate to see Google have a total monopoly.

Samsung Focus S
    I agree. I just wish a UI similar to MeeGo Harmattan was out there besides the N9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

TechnoKid wrote: »
    I'm not saying Microsoft ordering, just the slow decline in production from other manufacturers then only Nokia continuing. Just a poll.

If that happens, and all other manufacturers cease making them, then I think that it would be the end for Windows Phone. But I think there are a few new Windows Phones coming out from HTC and Samsung, so I can't see that happening in the near future - if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

HTC Titan
    It will never happen.

Im not completely sure but around 30% of HTC's sales were Windows Phones according to HTC. A lot of Manufacturers pay microsoft royalties for using Android. Hence actually bringing WP7 to the market is alot cheaper.

Both HTC and Sammy have to pay MS royalties for every android device.

Sammy also agreed to give WP7 a larger push since the MS and Sammy signed the patent licencing deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Eventually, Samsung will move away from WP7 given that they have had such success with the Galaxy S/II (both Android devices) and have been concentrating on their mobile OS, Bada, to warrant spreading themselves thin with having to manage handsets across three different mobiles OSes.

It will be very interesting to see how WP7 fares in the new year.

Samsung Focus S
    Samsung actually have four: Android, Bada, Windows Phone and Tizen. A new collaboration with Intel.

Samsung actually have four: Android, Bada, Windows Phone and Tizen. A new collaboration with Intel.

Well, that's even more reason for Samsung to back away from WP7.

• Advertisement

Samsung Focus S
    Yes. I can see sense for Samsung keeping:
    Android for bigger markets like America and Europe
    Bada for emerging markets
    Tizen because of the Google aquisition of Motorola
    Windows Phone for a alternative in bigger markets and to get on better relations with Microsoft but there's also Nokia, a extremely talented phone manufacturer, going ALL OUT on Windows Phone and Tizen being a direct competitor

HTC Titan
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    Well, that's even more reason for Samsung to back away from WP7.

I dont think it matters weather they do or dont.

The only reason i have a Samsung Phone is because in my opinion they have superior hardware to HTC.

But since Nokia has Clear Black Amoled Displays and great audio and hardware i think i can actually go back to a Nokia since theres an actual device worth going for.

The only reason i have a Samsung Phone is because in my opinion they have superior hardware to HTC.

But since Nokia has Clear Black Amoled Displays and great audio and hardware i think i can actually go back to a Nokia since theres an actual device worth going for.

The irony of it all, when it comes to Nokia, is that one of their greatest handsets of the last few years, the N9, just happens to be one that runs a dead OS. All the hardware in the world means nothing if it's running on a mobile OS that's dead in the water.

Also, Nokia might have ClearBlack AMOLED displays; however, they're not comparable to anything Samsung handsets have given that Nokia have simply added a filter to enhance the standard AMOLED displays they use on their handsets.

HTC Titan
    Rsaeire wrote: »

The irony of it all, when it comes to Nokia, is that one of their greatest handsets of the last few years, the N9, just happens to be one that runs a dead OS. All the hardware in the world means nothing if it's running on a mobile OS that's dead in the water.

Also, Nokia might have ClearBlack AMOLED displays; however, they're not comparable to anything Samsung handsets have given that Nokia have simply added a filter to enhance the standard AMOLED displays they use on their handsets.

Have a look at some videos online of the two together. Their the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Tizen is a ball of smoke, just like MeeGo was. As long as Intel are driving it, it'll be of no relevance to mobile.

Samsung will keep Windows Phone on their range because they sell so many Android phones that they can afford the diversity, but there's another reason too: security.

Google claim no royalties from Android phone sales, so they earn no revenue from Samsung - their only payback is by advertising to the audience of Android owners. This deal might look sweet for the manufacturers, but it also puts licencees like Samsung in a risky position: basically, their OS supplier has nothing to lose by shafting any of them, as long as it can gather the Android audience elsewhere.

This was really no big risk before when there was enormous growth, but now that the Android market is stabilising, and now that the OS supplier owns a rival equipment maker, this risk is higher, so it's not surprising to see Samsung renew their push on WP7 (also, they'll be riding on the back of Nokia+Microsoft's enormous publicity spend).

Advertisement