Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC upgrade

• 03-11-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

so yesterday i decided to go from 20mb to 100mb.

On 20mb i was getting about 18mb and 1.7 upload

Then i changed to the 100mb and im getting 15mb download, but 8mb upoad any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seems very quick, did you get your new thompson modem/router installed yet?

if you haven't then you won't be getting 100mbps down without it if you have the older cisco router or scientific atlanta modem as they are not capable of 100mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

vibe666 wrote: »
    seems very quick, did you get your new thompson modem/router installed yet?

if you haven't then you won't be getting 100mbps down without it if you have the older cisco router or scientific atlanta modem as they are not capable of 100mbps.

yeap have the thomson router, i dont understand how the upload is greater, and its constant too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

are you performing this speed test with an ethernet cable or Wifi... ?
    If it is over Wifi your machine may have a wireless G card which won't give u speeds greater than 21mb...u will need a wireless N adapter.
    I was just reading up on my own built in wireless card last night, and thankfully it's N capable, if i ever need it.

it must be because i was on 50mb before and i always got around 49-50mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sunny!! wrote: »
    it must be because i was on 50mb before and i always got around 49-50mb
    as painful as you know it's going to be, sounds like it might be time to call UPC support then. :(

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    as painful as you know it's going to be, sounds like it might be time to call UPC support then. :(

got onto them there, its my computer is the problem, it can't cater for the 100mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

got onto them there, its my computer is the problem, it can't cater for the 100mb.

Surely it can over a wired connection?

Surely it can over a wired connection?

nope, its really weird because even when i was on the 50mb before i was always getting 48-49mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

what speed does your local area connection say?

i was told to give it a day or two for the speed to kick in

nope, its really weird because even when i was on the 50mb before i was always getting 48-49mb.

100mbps is the theoretical maximum bandwidth you can get with a 100mbps ethernet connection. In practice, it is usually about half of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark in Lucan

I have the UPC 25Mb package. I am getting 24+Mb in morning and down to c.5+Mb in the evening (UPC speed checker). Is this typical?
    I was thinking of upgrading but dont see much point! Any comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

So UPC blame your computer, and you believe them?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

100mbps is the theoretical maximum bandwidth you can get with a 100mbps ethernet connection. In practice, it is usually about half of that.

are you sure? ethernet has been at 1GB (1000MB) speed for a few years now.

Rulmeq wrote: »
    So UPC blame your computer, and you believe them?

in fairness it was my fault because I never checked the requirements on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Your PC is NOT the problem....They are trying to fob you off.

Your PCs network card will handle speeds up to 100Mb or 1000Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

My sister has an old win xp pc, she has it 8 years, and is on the UPC 100meg package. she achieves 90 - 97 mb averagely with ethernet. she got 105mb testing on speedtest.net a few times.

i got put down to 25mb which was probarly the best. The problem wasn't on their side, so it was on mine and I wouldn't be that tech savy tbh to see what the problem is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

i got put down to 25mb which was probarly the best. The problem wasn't on their side, so it was on mine and I wouldn't be that tech savy tbh to see what the problem is

The problem was on their side they just are quick to blame everyone but themselves like most companys do!

They couldn't provide the service you signed up for and didn't want to admit it very bad form from UPC there!

Advertisement