Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy Irish Chicken thread..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

So now we've got threads about threads???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

If its in After Hours you know its going to be nonsense so I generally avoid taking the bait.

I'll summarise almost every after hours posters opinion on farming -Basically if you own a pair of wellies you're gettting free money from the state for doing nothing and actively causing world hunger because of the CAP / SFP etc. etc.
    A good discussion on the pro's & con's of the CAP etc. does creep up in the economics forum that can at least have well thought out discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Andrew33 wrote: »
    So now we've got threads about threads???:)

Why not. It's always interesting to see others opinions on farming matters, even if it's just for a good laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

bbam wrote: »
    Why not. It's always interesting to see others opinions on farming matters, even if it's just for a good laugh

Well I don't think there's anything particularly funny about an agri nation like ours importing agri products from the other side of the globe.:(

Well I don't think there's anything particularly funny about an agri nation like ours importing agri products from the other side of the globe.:(

Oh ffs give it a rest.
    Their opinions are funny not the topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

bbam wrote: »
    Oh ffs give it a rest.
    Their opinions are funny not the topic

Jesus, bit harsh there Bbam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sure thats what the Chinese and other parts of Asia are doing, importing Irish chicken products and dairy. Its called Free Trade and works both ways.

Jesus, bit harsh there Bbam...

Yea
    Maybe so :-(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

all chicken is sh1te whether it is irish/brazilian/chinese. Put it in a fayhita and it all tastes of salsa. I'd sooner eat the grain that the chicken ate than eat the miserable chicken.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

blue5000 wrote: »
    all chicken is sh1te whether it is irish/brazilian/chinese. Put it in a fayhita and it all tastes of salsa. I'd sooner eat the grain that the chicken ate than eat the miserable chicken.

Following a painstaking and in depth analysis of your post, can I take the liberty of concluding that you're not a huge fan of chicken then :rolleyes:

Edit: You had chicken sandwiches for every lunch of all 7 years of primary school too , Right? I know the feeling..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Bog Man 1

blue5000 wrote: »

I was the same until I started eating chicken from this company.
    The taste is beautiful and they take longer to cook because they are not pumped with brine.
    http://www.carlowfoods.com/free_range.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I fully agree.

However in the case of chickens, we seem to have to import all the feed to rear them, and all the fuel to keep them warm, so while I can see the benefit in buying Irish (and I do) there's no comparison with a truely Irish agri product like beef

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

LostCovey wrote: »
    I fully agree.

However in the case of chickens, we seem to have to import all the feed to rear them, and all the fuel to keep them warm, so while I can see the benefit in buying Irish (and I do) there's no comparison with a truely Irish agri product like beef

LC

Personally i dont think any food should be imported except what you cant grow yourself, but then someone would find away to abuse that system aswell:rolleyes:

I do know that the general public are only interested in "cheap" even though better but obviousley more expensive products are on the shelves next to them. So it is pointless bitching about it cause joe public aint the slightest interested, he will always buy the cheapest no matter where it comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I just don't understand how we look to abroad for meat products when our own meat is such high quality....However, I think it's up to the producers of Irish meat products- chicken, beef, lamb etc- to differentiate themselves to the Irish consumer....consumer education and very clear labeling is very important if they are to make an informed decision in the supermarket....

fodda wrote: »
    P So it is pointless bitching about it cause joe public aint the slightest interested, he will always buy the cheapest no matter where it comes from.

I don't agree....I am very particular about buying Irish meat...but I choose to keep myself informed....I don't think Irish meat producers have done enough to educate the Irish consumer...hence the lack of knowledge...hence the lack of insistence on Irish products...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Personally i dont think any food should be imported except what you cant grow yourself, but then someone would find away to abuse that system aswell:rolleyes:

I do know that the general public are only interested in "cheap" even though better but obviousley more expensive products are on the shelves next to them. So it is pointless bitching about it cause joe public aint the slightest interested, he will always buy the cheapest no matter where it comes from.

I notice many of the same people who bang on about how they can only afford "cheap" food - don't appear to have problems spending large amounts of money on stuff like confectionary, fizzy drinks, alcohol, cigs etc.:rolleyes:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I notice many of the same people who bang on about how they can only afford "cheap" food - don't appear to have problems spending large amounts of money on stuff like confectionary, fizzy drinks, alcohol, cigs etc.:rolleyes:
    Have to agree.......2 chickens at half price a trolley full of grog.:)

I know someone who researched a bit of it cause they wanted to produce proper free range grain fed chicken that live in fields. All was well and ready to go untill they found out how many free range/organic/corn fed chucks a leading supermarket in a "well to do" town sold per week. They wouldnt have filled the trolley:) Cheapo chucks all they way i am afraid.

Me i only buy free range, used to buy corn fed but just too expensive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Have to agree.......2 chickens at half price a trolley full of grog.:)

I know someone who researched a bit of it cause they wanted to produce proper free range grain fed chicken that live in fields. All was well and ready to go untill they found out how many free range/organic/corn fed chucks a leading supermarket in a "well to do" town sold per week. They wouldnt have filled the trolley:) Cheapo chucks all they way i am afraid.

Me i only buy free range, used to buy corn fed but just too expensive now.

Ah yes - the supermarket value chicken. Why not save even more money and boil some old cardboards instead, given that the nutrient levels and taste are more or less the same:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Ah yes - the supermarket value chicken. Why not save even more money and boil some old cardboards instead, given that the nutrient levels and taste are more or less the same:(

Not forgetting the fat that comes out of them:eek: What's that all about?
    Buy a proper free range or organic and no fat in the tray after cooking, roast a cheapo and start your own lard factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

supermarkets dicate the price of chicken. If Irish producers want to supply and make sale of their produce then they have to do what the super markets say. If not then they have no problem buying in imported chicken. Vicious game dealing with the multiples. I read recently in Poultry world where Thailand are on course to their plan to export 100 million tonnes of Chicken this year !! a good share of that will end up in Irish Deli's, restaurants and butchers through the wholesalers.

• Advertisement

a good share of that will end up in Irish Deli's, restaurants and butchers through the wholesalers.

I'd love to see legislation coming in on this...I once naively assumed that all meat in a butchers, is Irish meat....I think many consumers out there still believe it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I saw that RTÉ show about chicken from Thailand

And like many I just figured that was Irish chicken I was getting in Spar or Centra for my roll.

I don't think it would be much for a deli counter to put up a sticker on the glass to state that.

There was a deli in Galway I used to go to and the butcher counter beside it would have a blackboard where the factory beef came from, stock number, address of the farm, you could not ask for more

All I'm looking for is a sticker

Someone mentioned lack of education, so many people didn't even know about this until RTÉ showed it

I feel we should introduce a duty on foodstuf entering Ireland,
    I know this is probably against the whole EU free trade thing but I reckon we could do it... WE've been able to hold out on the Corporate Tax which goes in the face of EU requirments..

A duty on foodstufs we already produce here...

It would be mor useful than the wealth of other stealth taxes..
    Reduce the ammount of sub-prime food stuff being consumed..
    Few €€€ into the govt coffers..
    Would "encourage" the masses to buy more Irish produce..
    More Irish produce being bought would generate more sustainable value added jobs in the economy giving people more money to spend in the economy..

simples..;)

well... probably not simple but it would help

Advertisement