Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friday Night Lights

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Judging by the glowing reviews in here, I think I'll have to give this a go.

What would be the best website to watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

3e seem to be showing episodes now. Of course I couldn't condone using a streaming site like tv-links.eu :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

its currently being shown on 3e and has actually only recently started from the beginning on Sky Atlantic, only 3 episodes in, yes, im watching it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

just started watching this last week and after episode one I coudnt wait until the next week so I watched online - on the 12 episode now! Spend my evenings cooped up with laptop and tea cheering when Riggins smashes into another player!

Great programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Skiup

Brilliant programme started it watching it on Sky Atlantic but couldn't wait so I downloaded and watched the whole series in about a month.
    Prefeered the early episodes but overall it has to be one of the best series ever.

Got the dvd of the film off a friend after I watched the series and wasn't as impressed with it. Still good but maybe I got too used to Kyle Chandler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just finished this book.It thought it was absolutely brilliant and really encapsulates all the positives and negatives that sports brings to society.It breaks your heart and it yet it gives you something to live for and love at the same time.

It's quite sad that the players dream so much for something that lasts only 2 years of their lives and almost always has no tangible benefit after that and yet they put in unbelievable sacrifices just to play for their local team.I guess the buzz of playing sport in front of a crowd is addictive.

The harsh treatment of the players was incredible considering it's continually talked about how much pressure is put on underage players in this country it's nothing compared to how the players were treated in the book.

Are the film and the TV series worth watching if you've read the book.Do they add or take away from the experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The film is brilliant, arguably one of the better sports movie of all time imo.

The TV series moves away from the book, but is a a great watch - particularly the first and third seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jesus, 3 and a half years since I created this thread :eek: Where does the time go?

I've never got more attached to characters in a TV show than I did with Friday Night Lights, and that includes critically acclaimed shows such as The Wire, Breaking Bad, House of Cards etc.

It's a shame the red light was eventually put on a film.

http://tvline.com/2013/12/09/friday-night-lights-movie-not-happening-dead-peter-berg/
    “There’s not gonna be a movie,” Berg told Collider.com. “We talked about it, some people thought it was a good idea, some didn’t; I’ve come to believe it’s probably not a good idea and I seriously doubt it’s gonna happen.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Finished reading the book again not too long ago, I generally try to read it once a year if possible. Just such a good read, can easily see what it's at or near the top of so many "Best Sports Books" lists online.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

Finished reading the book again not too long ago, I generally try to read it once a year if possible. Just such a good read, can easily see what it's at or near the top of so many "Best Sports Books" lists online.

Perfect timing. I've been looking for something good to read recently. Last 3 or 4 books I've read have been rubbish.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Jesus, 3 and a half years since I created this thread :eek: Where does the time go?

I've never got more attached to characters in a TV show than I did with Friday Night Lights, and that includes critically acclaimed shows such as The Wire, Breaking Bad, House of Cards etc.

It's a shame the red light was eventually put on a film.

http://tvline.com/2013/12/09/friday-night-lights-movie-not-happening-dead-peter-berg/

I think there was no need for a second movie personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Just finished this book.It thought it was absolutely brilliant and really encapsulates all the positives and negatives that sports brings to society.It breaks your heart and it yet it gives you something to live for and love at the same time.

It's quite sad that the players dream so much for something that lasts only 2 years of their lives and almost always has no tangible benefit after that and yet they put in unbelievable sacrifices just to play for their local team.I guess the buzz of playing sport in front of a crowd is addictive.

The harsh treatment of the players was incredible considering it's continually talked about how much pressure is put on underage players in this country it's nothing compared to how the players were treated in the book.

Are the film and the TV series worth watching if you've read the book.Do they add or take away from the experience?

The film is quite different to the book. While it still deals with them it tends to kind of celebrate some of the things which the book criticises and pays much more direct attention to the football team as opposed to the wider community.

The TV show is another world apart then from the book and film but is still great in it's own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just started season 5 and dare I say it I'm genuinely upset I'm coming to the end of this show - and trust me, I'm a cynical f&cker at the best of times. Definitely up there with The Wire, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, albeit for very different reasons. Anyone who's reading this who hasn't seen it - do yourself a favour and watch it. Simply brilliant television. Worth checking the U.S. Edition of the box set for the extras if you're interested too btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 Have this book on my desk at the moment for my luchtime read. Fantastic book, the writing, the story, the characters, Odessa, O Dear!

My 3rd read. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I bought the box set of the tv series about a yr ago and watched it with the missus. Funny enough she enjoyed it more than I did. I'd come in now and again and fill her in on what was going on ref the football side!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Haven't read or watched any Friday Night Lights yet, so reading this, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Any recommended order, such as book first, etc, or can I just belt away with the TV Series?

Knex. wrote: »
    Haven't read or watched any Friday Night Lights yet, so reading this, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Any recommended order, such as book first, etc, or can I just belt away with the TV Series?

It doesn't matter at all, one won't ruin the other. The book and TV show are very different.

Even if you're not a big reader though don't be put off by the book. It's a very easy read without spoon feeding the reader and really is very, very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Just started season 5 and dare I say it I'm genuinely upset I'm coming to the end of this show - and trust me, I'm a cynical f&cker at the best of times. Definitely up there with The Wire, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, albeit for very different reasons. Anyone who's reading this who hasn't seen it - do yourself a favour and watch it. Simply brilliant television. Worth checking the U.S. Edition of the box set for the extras if you're interested too btw

Think I'll have to check it out after reading that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Finished the series last weekend and was genuinely gutted it was over...

Great series

• Advertisement

Half way through season 1 already, I'd say. Very good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Gave up after 3 episodes.
    It's a bit like Dawson's Creek with American Football.

The seriousness with which all the characters view the fortunes of what is just a bunch of school kids playing football is hilarious.

The seriousness with which all the characters view the fortunes of what is just a bunch of school kids playing football is hilarious.

Give the book a read, it'll give you great context as to why the TV show is like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Give the book a read, it'll give you great context as to why the TV show is like that.

Beat me to it I was about to write the same thing - if you read the book you'll get an idea of the pressure/hype placed on high-school kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Over 50,000 people attend the Texas High School Super Bowls each year: http://usatodayhss.com/2014/texas-title-game-attendance-dwarfing-college-bowl-games

Friday Night Lights is far from exaggerating the importance of High School Football in Texas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

That is Texas and Football. High School Football is a BIG deal in Texas. There is towns in Texas that close their businesses on a Friday for the game. A buddy of mine coaches down there in a small town and they get up to 5k in the stands for the game and that is more than the population of the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

I don't doubt that the show reflects reality in terms of the pressure/seriousness of a school football team in Texas.

It's just I couldn't take it seriously - which is why I suppose the show isn't for me.

I just kept thinking 'this is like the local CBS football team here. why is everyone in the town so caught up as to whether they win or lose? - they're just kids'.

It doesn't seem healthy to have that much pressure put on kids.

I don't doubt that the show reflects reality in terms of the pressure/seriousness of a school football team in Texas.

It's just I couldn't take it seriously - which is why I suppose the show isn't for me.

I just kept thinking 'this is like the local CBS football team here. why is everyone in the town so caught up as to whether they win or lose? - they're just kids'.

Don't think any reasonable person would dispute that, but it doesn't make it untrue unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Show only really touches on the surface of it.

why is everyone in the town so caught up as to whether they win or lose? - they're just kids'.

Sad thing is this is a reality in Texas. Non Texans ask themselves that about Texas football all the time. Towns and Cities care about their HS football especially the towns with only 1 HS in it. Local radio will bang on about their team, people will call in and bad mouth or praise their team, local media in generally will be all about it. People really do care, It is a big deal to them.

As LuckyLloyd no one would dispute this. It is one of the most unfortunate things about HS football in Texas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Just finished and loved it! I found it a bit slow to get into. I was more or less watching it in between other shows, so I can't really tell when I realised I loved it. But I've already gone back to watch the pilot again and will watch some more with my full attention this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Halfway through season 3. It's good, but obviously the tone is very different to the book and the move. My only gripes are how utterly predictable it is, and how awful a character Jason Street is.

• Advertisement

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, though I'm aware they're quite different. I just bought the book recently.

Actually, I first became aware of the show when Leslie in Parks & Rec got angry that none of her friends were picking it as the best show ever. So I thought I'd better check it out!

Halfway through season 3. It's good, but obviously the tone is very different to the book and the move. My only gripes are how utterly predictable it is, and how awful a character Jason Street is.

I stopped a bit of the way through season 3 because of this, tbh. I'll definitely go back to it, as for two seasons, especially the first, I really enjoyed it, just some of the characters became annoying and it became a bit repetitive for me.

At the end of the day lads it was a teen drama after all, that sorta crap is what they do.

Ah, didn't realise this wasn't in the TV forum, but if you stopped watching mid way through the third season because you didn't like Jason Street
    you don't have to worry about that for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nice article in this week's SI Magazine about the author going back 25 years later and meeting up with 6 of the players from he original team.

Keep an eye on SI.com if you don't subscribe to the mag as articles from it sometimes appear about 5 days later on the site.

Edit - Link to story and video added below

http://www.si.com/high-school/2015/07/29/friday-night-lights-25th-anniversary-hg-bissinger-book-excerpt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I stayed one night in Odessa back in 2000. Unfortunately I hadn't heard of the book at that point.

I do remember the motel clerk asking "Are you here for oil work or are you passing through?" because there were no other possible reasons to be in Odessa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just finished watching the TV show last night.When I got to the final season I wanted to watch it really slowly to savour it but just couldn't do it and I had to keep watching.It's genuinely one of my favourite shows of all time I watched the whole show in about 4 or 5 weeks.It just grows and grows on you as it goes along.

After the first 5 or 6 episodes I didn't really like Tim Riggins as a character I thought he was just a dumb jock with a sulky face but he's now one of my all time favourite TV characters.I loved the way that at various stages it looked like
    he was going to turn good but it never quite 100% happened and he always remained a bit of a badass.

The writing is brilliant as almost all of the characters at various stages give you genuine reasons to dislike them and yet never become unlikeable which is of course the way life tends to be.

it shows you how good it is that although
    the show changed massively for the 4th and 5th seaosn it still maintained the high standards of the first 3 seasons.

All the actors in it are outstanding aswell.

It's amazing that it wasn't very popular as it has a bit of everthing and I think it would be difficult to not like the show once you give it a chance. I really wish I had some GAA coaches like Coach Taylor, with someone like him coaching me who knows what I could have turned into as a player or as a person.

Advertisement