Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time work during school

• 03-11-2011 3:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm wondering about the pitfalls of working while studying.

I'm not necessarily just wondering about Leaving Certificate, rather all education in general.

Looking for the negative side to part time work when in education.

Can anyone here who works part-time as well as juggling their studies give me some insight into how you feel this affects your education

Or anyone out there who doesn't work because of that very fact.

I'm actually looking for the negatives rather than the positives here (I know, very gloomy!)

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Hey peanuthead,

I'm in college, and have no lectures Friday, so I go home and work Friday evenings. Beware of having to come home/work while you are studying-at the beginning it seems great but as time goes on you will appreciate all your free time. If you work during the week, you'll have to be careful about getting enough sleep and getting up in the mornings, working late a few nights in a row isn't a good idea IMO.
    I think that unless you really need the money try not to work while studying. Thats all just my humble opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

plumpote wrote: »
    Hey peanuthead,

I'm in college, and have no lectures Friday, so I go home and work Friday evenings. Beware of having to come home/work while you are studying-at the beginning it seems great but as time goes on you will appreciate all your free time. If you work during the week, you'll have to be careful about getting enough sleep and getting up in the mornings, working late a few nights in a row isn't a good idea IMO.
    I think that unless you really need the money try not to work while studying. Thats all just my humble opinion.

Thanks a million - that is a very good point.

From a stress/health perspective how do you think it affects students if at all?

Peanuthead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

peanuthead wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm wondering about the pitfalls of working while studying.

I'm not necessarily just wondering about Leaving Certificate, rather all education in general.

Looking for the negative side to part time work when in education.

Can anyone here who works part-time as well as juggling their studies give me some insight into how you feel this affects your education

Or anyone out there who doesn't work because of that very fact.

I'm actually looking for the negatives rather than the positives here (I know, very gloomy!)

Thank you in advance
    Hello peanuthead,
    I've been working for the last 2 years and am in 6th year now.
    To be honest working in 4th year wasnt hard, it was a blessing, i wasnt bored and i got a bit of money.
    In 5th year, it was a different story, i was working more than 20 hours a week , and had to stay up to 1-4 to finish my homework most nights having then to get up at 6 :( I was severly stressed out and used to fall asleep in class, use to eat crapily as was just running from school to work ... my fifth year still remains my worst year in school because of work ...
    this year i got weekends but its still very tiring :( i feel like giving up most times but its the only way i can pay for college next year.... still its costing me my grades sometimes
    to be very honest i wouldnt advise school and part time work to anyone its extremely hard especially if your aiming for high points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hello peanuthead,
    I've been working for the last 2 years and am in 6th year now.
    To be honest working in 4th year wasnt hard, it was a blessing, i wasnt bored and i got a bit of money.
    In 5th year, it was a different story, i was working more than 20 hours a week , and had to stay up to 1-4 to finish my homework most nights having then to get up at 6 :( I was severly stressed out and used to fall asleep in class, use to eat crapily as was just running from school to work ... my fifth year still remains my worst year in school because of work ...
    this year i got weekends but its still very tiring :( i feel like giving up most times but its the only way i can pay for college next year.... still its costing me my grades sometimes
    to be very honest i wouldnt advise school and part time work to anyone its extremely hard especially if your aiming for high points

Thanks for your input - what you say about food is very interesting and something I wouldn't have even thought about.

It is awful that it has such a negative impact on us yet if we are to proceed to college we have no real choice but to work in order to pay our way.

Advertisement