Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ping Pong Paddies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Nobody has yet to justify why putting your feet on a tram seat deserves the EXACT SAME fine as fare evasion (a.k.a. Stealing).

It's not a case I want to put my feet on the seats. I don't put my feet on the seats at all. But I think it is a stupid fine, where the punishment doesnt fit the crime, and until somebody justifies this then I will continue to think so.

Some people are very moralistic when it comes to this stuff. Give me an actual reason why putting feet on the seats is deserving of an equal fine as fare evasion, rather than coming out with stuff like "Don't put your feet on the seats" or "why do you want to put your feet on the seats". That doesn't actually explain the legitimacy and honesty of the fine one bit.

IMO, it's a stupid fine, and an easy way for them to get in some revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It doesnt matter. Its not up to you to argue it.

As a commuter I dont want to sit in the crap falling off the bottom of your shoes. But I dont give a **** if you fare evade.

One is for a criminal offence, the other is a slapdown for being a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

04072511 wrote: »
    Nobody has yet to justify why putting your feet on a tram seat deserves the EXACT SAME fine as fare evasion (a.k.a. Stealing).

It's not a case I want to put my feet on the seats. I don't put my feet on the seats at all. But I think it is a stupid fine, where the punishment doesnt fit the crime, and until somebody justifies this then I will continue to think so.

Some people are very moralistic when it comes to this stuff. Give me an actual reason why putting feet on the seats is deserving of an equal fine as fare evasion, rather than coming out with stuff like "Don't put your feet on the seats" or "why do you want to put your feet on the seats". That doesn't actually explain the legitimacy and honesty of the fine one bit.

IMO, it's a stupid fine, and an easy way for them to get in some revenue.

Maybe someone has to then clean the seats!!! probably costs more than a $3 fare.

Sure if everyone just decided to do what they want where exactly would it end?

Try spitting chewing gum on the pavement in Singapore as a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mandrake04 wrote: »

Sure if everyone just decided to do what they want where exactly would it end?

Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There is no Morals to it

If you fare evade you fail to contribute to the cost of the trains hence you fail to pull your weight and burden everyone else.

If you soil the seats with your feet the train system has to clean the seats and this costs which everyone pays.

Both offences have the same outcome.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    Ireland.
    Well put my indigenous friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

But putting your feet on the seats doesnt always mean you are being a d1ck. It's a bit of an instinct at times. If you've just busted your ass on the track, or on the rugby pitch or wherever, it's common that you could be suffering some serious pain, and putting your feet on the seats on the way back from a training session is something that relieves the pain. Sometimes you don't think about the stupid rules and the fines, when you are absolutely shattered and in agony. It's just easy to forget the rules at times. I've put my feet on the seats at times after running track sessions, and only after about 10 minutes would I realise I had my feet on the seats and then would take them down. Not like I'm trying to be a d1ck deliberately.

My former housemate said she got done once for having her feet on the seats, even though she had sprained her ankle. FFS!!

Anyway, I wonder how much cash they spend on cleaning those trams. I'd say less than half what they receive in from that fine alone. A nice net profit :)

The fine can be contested on the back simply state you wish your day in court. Then send it to the address listed. If you provide a doctors certificate you may get off.

Advertisement