Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next plan of action?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

Right so there are 6 of us currently stuck in a rut in melbourne. 3 males and 3 females. Out of the females only one could get a job, out of the 3 males, 2 are qualified carpenters who got screwed out of their pay and 1 male got a telemarketin job sellin funeral insurence , not exactly why you would come out here. So we decided to pack melbourne in and with the remainin money we have get a vechicle for the 6 of us and go travelin up the gold coast. We are doin this in hope we can pick up fruit pickin or whatever along the way.....are we being to niave?in some of our heads we just presume we will get jobs and we are investin whatever funds we have to do this as we are all in a rut here.............any advice? Sorry about non paragraphs i am doing this through a nokia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

How long have you been out here? There's tons of jobs in Melbourne. Granted it will get quieter now, coming up the Christmas time, but generally if you are not fussy then you should be able to find work.

It takes a few weeks to find work. You have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

We have been here 7 weeks and to be honest im hatin the place, im not homesick but i just want the bagpacker lifestyle that i thought id be involved in. Myself and mygirlfriend have been livin in relatives house and so far its been ****....any suggestions?

Sirsok wrote: »
    We have been here 7 weeks and to be honest im hatin the place, im not homesick but i just want the bagpacker lifestyle that i thought id be involved in. Myself and mygirlfriend have been livin in relatives house and so far its been ****....any suggestions?

Change your attitude towards the place. You'd be amazed how far that will get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

04072511 wrote: »
    There's tons of jobs in Melbourne.

Where? and what type of work are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

There are feck all jobs in Melbourne, it took me 3 months to finally get one in something that is not my field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Out of curiosity what are yer backgrounds guys?
    Reckon Sydney would be better for the oul short term contracts?

Administration, mostly govt stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

2 are qualified carpenters who got screwed out of their pay

First i'd tell your two friends to grow a pair and get the money they are owed or undo their carpeting work if you know what I mean;)

whats your degree in.

zweton wrote: »
    whats your degree in.

Nothing related to the work I have been doing for the last few years, Mechanical Engineering degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

lima wrote: »
    There are feck all jobs in Melbourne, it took me 3 months to finally get one in something that is not my field.
    I disagree.

It all depends on your VISA class, your skill set, your attitude and above all here your networking skills.

You need to meet people and state the obvious
    I am looking for a job?
    Do you know anyone looking for workers?

If you use the old Irish trick of hinting hoping someone will offer it wont work.

Aussies dont pick up on a lot of how we as Irish interact with others.

did it take you long to get this work?

did it take you long to get this work?

Well that is not the only work I am looking for, any admin work will do but when I first arrived in 2010 it took 5 months to get any work.
    Right now I am out of work for 7 months, went on holidays in March/April and haven't worked more than a week since, it is very quiet here.

Well that is not the only work I am looking for, any admin work will do but when I first arrived in 2010 it took 5 months to get any work.
    Right now I am out of work for 7 months, went on holidays in March/April and haven't worked more than a week since, it is very quiet here.

wow thats a long time, you must of had a lot of money:D

I found agencies were the only way to go. Don't even bother looking for anything but the temporary categories. Maybe take a walk around the hostels too and see if any work is advertised. If you're going to go fruit-picking, go for it. Do your 3 months to give you the option of an extra year, just check what is growing where. You might head up the east coast and miss all the seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

wow thats a long time, you must of had a lot of money:D

Or..

- You have not really looked
    - You are being too selective
    - Your resume is appalling
    - You don't interview well or dont seem interested

As someone posted here before, Skippy won't meet you at the Airport with a pot of gold...you have to get yourself out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Get out of your relatives house. Seriously, you'll meet a lot more people if you're actually staying in a hostel or a share house, rather than living with your relatives. It's great to have a roof over your head for the first while but I'd make it my first priority to get out of there and then you'll find that you'll meet other backpackers easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Zambia wrote: »
    I disagree.

It all depends on your VISA class, your skill set, your attitude and above all here your networking skills.

You need to meet people and state the obvious
    I am looking for a job?
    Do you know anyone looking for workers?

If you use the old Irish trick of hinting hoping someone will offer it wont work.

Aussies dont pick up on a lot of how we as Irish interact with others.

This!!! Most people don't have a clue what it takes to dig in and look for work. Most of these are kids that grew up in the Celtic tiger, Celtic cubs I suppose one can call them. Most of them are spoiled and don't have a clue, I see them every day!

There is work out there, you just have to know how to look for it. Ill say it again. Networking is the key here and no that doesn't mean fixing a hostels internet, it means going out there talking to people face to face asking about possibilities of work. Your not at home wit mammy and daddy anymore kids, this is the real world!

Also, the visa is key, it is a holiday visa first, working visa second. We on this forum are sick and tired of reiterating this point but some people don't listen, in fact some people don't want to listen.

haha great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

jank wrote: »

Also, the visa is key, it is a holiday visa first, working visa second. We on this forum are sick and tired of reiterating this point but some people don't listen, in fact some people don't want to listen.

The WHV is the only way most of us have in order to get to oz and try and start a career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

danotroy wrote: »
    The WHV is the only way most of us have in order to get to oz and try and start a career.

That's all well and good but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out the way you thought it would.

Australian employers - for the most part - tend to view the WHV as a holiday visa, with a little bit of work on the side, so it can be a lot trickier than you might think to start a career on a WHV.
    Of course there are stories all the time of people on WHVs who get sponsored and end up staying on making a career out of it all, but for the majority of people who arrive here on a WHV they end up going back home again after the year or two.

Best of luck with it all when you arrive over here anyway, you might end up being one of the lucky ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

This!!! Most people don't have a clue what it takes to dig in and look for work. Most of these are kids that grew up in the Celtic tiger, Celtic cubs I suppose one can call them. Most of them are spoiled and don't have a clue, I see them every day!

There is work out there, you just have to know how to look for it. Ill say it again. Networking is the key here and no that doesn't mean fixing a hostels internet, it means going out there talking to people face to face asking about possibilities of work. Your not at home wit mammy and daddy anymore kids, this is the real world!

The Irish media are partly to blame, they keep saying that tens of thousands of young Irish people are migrating to Australia. People actually believe it's true, but in fact the stats show that only 3200 Irish migrated to Australia the whole of last year.

Its a holiday visa exactly as it says on the tin.

Traq wrote: »

Best of luck with it all when you arrive over here anyway, you might end up being one of the lucky ones!
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    The Irish media are partly to blame, they keep saying that tens of thousands of young Irish people are migrating to Australia. People actually believe it's true, but in fact the stats show that only 3200 Irish migrated to Australia the whole of last year.

Its a holiday visa exactly as it says on the tin.

yeah i think you are correct here mandrake i know alot of my friends have gone to australia over the past few years on a two year bender after finished their trades or college courses and they never said they were emigrating but they were classed as many of the young leaving the country for good by the media however all of these have since come home broke and gone back to further education.

I genuinely believe my case is different from the majority although i know that i am not alone. I am moving to Australia on a WHV as there is no employment for me after finishing 6 years in college i am hoping to move to australia long term and because i have little experience and no money i cannot get any other visa. i will work hard when i get there and i will network as much of the free time i can and i hope it will work out i do not want to be back in ireland a year from now back to square one.

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Or..

Yep this can be quite common. A friend of mine in Melbourne couldn't get a job at all, for months on end. I couldn't understand why. Then one day she sent me her CV asking me to send it to my boss. I had a good solid read through it and it was an embarrassment. She listed every single crappy job she ever did, and it was all a mess. If I was an employer I'd delete it from my inbox immediately.

I gave her advice, but not sure if she ever took it. Havent been in touch with her much of late, but she is no longer on a WHV, but rather a student visa now.

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Or..

- You have not really looked
    - You are being too selective
    - You don't interview well or dont seem interested

As someone posted here before, Skippy won't meet you at the Airport with a pot of gold...you have to get yourself out there.

I thought I should interject here, I posted the Skippy quote a long time ago.

I have looked, and looked and looked and looked.
    When you have so many years doing a certain type of job and zero experience in other types of work it is very difficult to get that other type of work.
    My resume is fine, thanks. I do interview well but one thing I should warn, agencies will interview you without having any jobs at all, they really want your referees details so they can try ply their wares and drum up business.

Which is why I can't stress enough to people coming here to bring as much money as you can, sell your granny if you have to!

A lot of work advertised is not work, those "marketing" jobs - door to door or chugging? The ads are rampant on Seek et al.
    A lot of jobs on Seek don't exist, if the agents name is not on the ad chances are it's just been posted fishing for resumes.

i do not want to be back in ireland a year from now back to square one.

I'd advise you to do your 3 months regional work the minute you arrive. That way you then have 21 months to look for sponsorship.

And? Does the Australian employer care about that? Cry me a river...

And? Does the Australian employer care about that? Cry me a river...

cry you a river, how original JANK you must be chuckling away to yourself in your chair at your intelligence and wit.

i am just stating what is the truth for many recent graduates i know. Companies in ireland are not even taking on voluntary internships in many cases so why stay in ireland when we can get a WHV and try australia.

04072511 wrote: »
    I'd advise you to do your 3 months regional work the minute you arrive. That way you then have 21 months to look for sponsorship.

This seems to be sound advice that i have heard off a few people however i think i will try melbourne first and if all does not work out i shall head north and do an internship i have secured on an ECOvillage which will in some way furnish me with some experience in my field.

• Advertisement

cry you a river, how original JANK you must be chuckling away to yourself in your chair at your intelligence and wit.

i am just stating what is the truth for many recent graduates i know. Companies in ireland are not even taking on voluntary internships in many cases so why stay in ireland when we can get a WHV and try australia.

That is not what you said originally so you are changing your story. Of course people can try Australia on a WHV, in some cases it works out, most cases it doesn't but in that case don't come on here and start crying about a WHV is the ONLY option open to people and that you are "surprised" that work is not there for you when you get off the plane. Have you tried the UK or Europe? Canada? NZ? USA?

People are too quick to put on the sob story rather then knuckle down and think what they really want to do and achieve. So ya... cry me a river because there ain't no one listening and that job you may get might be going to someone else because you are on here cribbing rather than being out there looking.

Advertisement