Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next plan of action?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

jank wrote: »
    That is not what you said originally so you are changing your story. Of course people can try Australia on a WHV, in some cases it works out, most cases it doesn't but in that case don't come on here and start crying about a WHV is the ONLY option open to people and that you are "surprised" that work is not there for you when you get off the plane. Have you tried the UK or Europe? Canada? NZ? USA?

People are too quick to put on the sob story rather then knuckle down and think what they really want to do and achieve. So ya... cry me a river because there ain't no one listening and that job you may get might be going to someone else because you are on here cribbing rather than being out there looking.

right i fail to see how i am "changing" my story. i said the working holiday visa is the only way most of us, irelands recent graduates, have available to us in getting into australia. so i would like you to show me how i changed my story.

since when am i "surprised" that there is no work in Australia for me you use quotations yet i never said i was surprised?

Have i considered the uk and the usa yes i have however NZ hasnt been studied in detail. I have a US passport so the option is always open for me there but there are not many jobs in my field in the US and even less in the UK, where i have lived for the past 3 years, however in OZ there is a large skills deficit in my field.

And finally i am not even in OZ yet i am in the process of moving there.

So please stop with the sweeping generalizations in relation to my posts.

p.s please excuse the fact that this post does not read well it is after 3 in the morning here and i have not slept in nearly 22 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Nothing is so important on the internet as to stay awake for 22 Hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

danotroy wrote: »
    Have i considered the uk and the usa yes i have however NZ hasnt been studied in detail. I have a US passport so the option is always open for me there but there are not many jobs in my field in the US and even less in the UK, where i have lived for the past 3 years, however in OZ there is a large skills deficit in my field. .

If so apply for a SMC Visa.
    And finally i am not even in OZ yet i am in the process of moving there. .

So why the moaning? Jezz get some sleep so and moan in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I thought I should interject here, I posted the Skippy quote a long time ago.

I have looked, and looked and looked and looked.
    When you have so many years doing a certain type of job and zero experience in other types of work it is very difficult to get that other type of work.
    My resume is fine, thanks. I do interview well but one thing I should warn, agencies will interview you without having any jobs at all, they really want your referees details so they can try ply their wares and drum up business.

Which is why I can't stress enough to people coming here to bring as much money as you can, sell your granny if you have to!

A lot of work advertised is not work, those "marketing" jobs - door to door or chugging? The ads are rampant on Seek et al.
    A lot of jobs on Seek don't exist, if the agents name is not on the ad chances are it's just been posted fishing for resumes.

Well I am actually one of these devilish recruiters! PM your resume if you wish and I will try and help point you in the right direction. I have (Irish) friends in Melbourne who are recruiters so they may be able to help you out also.

Generally people coming over here do not find their dream job straight away..you need to take a couple of steps back because they value "local experience" so highly here unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Sirsok wrote: »
    We have been here 7 weeks and to be honest im hatin the place, im not homesick but i just want the bagpacker lifestyle that i thought id be involved in. Myself and mygirlfriend have been livin in relatives house and so far its been ****....any suggestions?

Here could be your main issue.

What do you mean by backpacker (presume bag was a typo) lifestyle? If it's that you want to just earn enough to go on the p*ss most of the week and travel around then I wouldn't hire you.

Also, it looks like you failed to bring enough money if you are down to the last roll of the dice after 7 weeks of living with relatives.

• Advertisement

If you have no money, that is the backpacker experience.

I once had to walk from Bondi road to double Bay one summer day because I only had enough cash to get home after work.

Luckily that was to go to my first decent job. I was down to 5 bucks period.

I am moving to Australia on a WHV as there is no employment for me after finishing 6 years in college i am hoping to move to australia long term and because i have little experience and no money i cannot get any other visa..
    If so apply for a SMC Visa.

I cannot apply for a SMV as i have stated above as i can not afford it and do not have enough experience. If you read post before generalizing it would help a great deal.

6 years... are you a doctor?

If you are in Eco technology here is a good place to be.

The state government here gave me a free plug that turns of my TV if I forgot to.

Zambia wrote: »
    6 years... are you a doctor?

If you are in Eco technology here is a good place to be.

The state government here gave me a free plug that turns of my TV if I forgot to.

No i just did a 4 year degree then did a 2 year masters. So im qualified in Property managment and valuation and Government and town and country planning. I have limited experience in each, i.e summer and placement positions.

The ecovillage i spoke of is offering a permaculture certificate for 3 months work which will also count towards woofing time. I think i could use the experience as it would be sustainable development experience as i see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Zambia wrote: »
    If you have no money, that is the backpacker experience.

I once had to walk from Bondi road to double Bay one summer day because I only had enough cash to get home after work.

Luckily that was to go to my first decent job. I was down to 5 bucks period.

i hear you brother, i gave every day for a week walking from randwick to bondi junction with a bag of tools on my back which weighed a ton to get the train to the city and walked 15mins to get to the job. because the site wasn't very secure i had to lug the tools home again every evening. and walk back from bondi junction. spent my last few bucks buying the weekly train ticket. the following week after gettin paid i got a taxi to the train station and then another guy started on the job with a van that week aswell which meant i could throw my bag of tools into the back of his yoke, now that was a load of my back.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

lima wrote: »
    There are feck all jobs in Melbourne, it took me 3 months to finally get one in something that is not my field.

I arrived in st kilda yesterday and I have 5 interviews lined up. If you have the qualifications, skill set, experience and attitude you'll have work thrown at you

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You are probably aware already but if not
    http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx
    An indication of where the harvest jobs are going to be are on this site plus a phone number.

To be honest, it is probably the busiest time of year to be heading up east coast towards Goldie....so it could be a long haul.
    I would be looking at places off the beaten track.
    You have and will need you own transport for the most of these jobs.

Melbourne and the other big cities, you really need to pound the pavements and use up any vague connections that you can pull out of the bag. Some very highly motivated skilled up individuals get lucky and score a position in days but mostly for a new arrival it takes a few weeks or more. It's a totally different system here: TFN, super, getting around on public transport, food,
    finding a room/rental, hostel life etc etc.

I would advise/urge anyone leaving Dublin airport on a WHV to have enough cash/credit to see them through for 3-4 months minimum, this may help
    avoid the stress and drama of being down to your last ten bucks.
    And if you like to party/drink, be prepared for the cash to dwindle faster.

Best of luck to all 6 of you on the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

I really wonder sometimes when I hear stories like this about how people cannot get work!!

I agree that is has gotten more difficult since I arrived three years ago - due to increased competition for jobs and employer's becoming more picky about visa status. Also - I can only speak for my experience with Sydney but you will find that the work dries up slightly between around now and February/March. I think this is due to the increased number of "backpackers" coming to Sydney for Christmas/the summer periods, and also a lot of companies really shut down for a month between Christmas and the end of January or only put skeleton staff on.

But I don't know anyone who has been out of work for more than 1-2 weeks in Sydney.

I agree with a previous poster who said that temp agencies are the way for whv holders. Although now I am on a 457 defacto sponsorship -being honest - I have worked for some of the biggest national and multinationals in Australia on temp assignments that probably wouldn't have employed me otherwise- the shortest I've had has been a month, my last one was 10 months and my current one has been 2 months which is going permanent in January :)

In Sydney - I can recommend Hayes, Julia Ross, SMF Recruitment and Office Team.

Labour Hire companies are similarly good for tradesmen. My bf has been sponsored by one for 2 years. He may be out of work 1 - 2 days every few months in between a job finishing and the next one starting but he works 6 days a week at the moment.

I have gotten jobs without really having to put in a whole lot of effort. I certainly wasn't knocking down doors or walking the city with printed cvs, I made a few appointments with temp agencies. I can also say that I quit my last temp job in July to go home for 6 weeks and came back with nothing lined up in early September and was working the 2nd day I was back.

The main thing is that you cannot be picky if you are facing running out of money! I seriously question how in 7 weeks, have some of your group not been able to get work of any kind!?

Best of luck OP - regards the car situation. the 7 of you will get to somewhere on one way flights a hell of lot cheaper than it will cost for a car and all the expenses they come with!
    Just to give you something to think about - I recently had 2 new flatmates move in who made the move from Melbourne to Sydney (4 weeks ago) - they got to Sydney on a Monday. By the Friday, both had jobs (she temping -office admin) and he (got an electrician's job) - they both had nothing at all lined up when they got here. And he has since been sponsored - within a month of starting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

whoa thanks for all the responses!we all came out a bit niave however my own situation has changed dramatically in the past few dayss....i broke away from the group and unfortuntely my girlfriend :( and moved to sydney where i have a great job oppurtunity with a friends fathers company on the terms i get a abn number?id imagine the price of this is worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

i broke away from the group and unfortuntely my girlfriend :(

Sorry to hear that.
    and moved to sydney where i have a great job oppurtunity with a friends fathers company on the terms i get a abn number?id imagine the price of this is worth it?

You dont have to pay for an ABN. Just make sure that this company is paying fairly. A lot of dodgey companies (mainly call centres) pay people under ABN's as contractors rather than employees as a way of paying them much less. This is fully illegal. Happened to me, and I got my money back off the feckers when I threatened to go to the Ombudsman on them.

If it is construction you are working in then working under an ABN is common and fine, but I'd be wary in a lot of cases. Just do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

amybabes wrote: »
    I really wonder sometimes when I hear stories like this about how people cannot get work!!

I agree that is has gotten more difficult since I arrived three years ago - due to increased competition for jobs and employer's becoming more picky about visa status. Also - I can only speak for my experience with Sydney but you will find that the work dries up slightly between around now and February/March. I think this is due to the increased number of "backpackers" coming to Sydney for Christmas/the summer periods, and also a lot of companies really shut down for a month between Christmas and the end of January or only put skeleton staff on.

But I don't know anyone who has been out of work for more than 1-2 weeks in Sydney.

I agree with a previous poster who said that temp agencies are the way for whv holders. Although now I am on a 457 defacto sponsorship -being honest - I have worked for some of the biggest national and multinationals in Australia on temp assignments that probably wouldn't have employed me otherwise- the shortest I've had has been a month, my last one was 10 months and my current one has been 2 months which is going permanent in January :)

In Sydney - I can recommend Hayes, Julia Ross, SMF Recruitment and Office Team.

Labour Hire companies are similarly good for tradesmen. My bf has been sponsored by one for 2 years. He may be out of work 1 - 2 days every few months in between a job finishing and the next one starting but he works 6 days a week at the moment.

I have gotten jobs without really having to put in a whole lot of effort. I certainly wasn't knocking down doors or walking the city with printed cvs, I made a few appointments with temp agencies. I can also say that I quit my last temp job in July to go home for 6 weeks and came back with nothing lined up in early September and was working the 2nd day I was back.

The main thing is that you cannot be picky if you are facing running out of money! I seriously question how in 7 weeks, have some of your group not been able to get work of any kind!?

Best of luck OP - regards the car situation. the 7 of you will get to somewhere on one way flights a hell of lot cheaper than it will cost for a car and all the expenses they come with!
    Just to give you something to think about - I recently had 2 new flatmates move in who made the move from Melbourne to Sydney (4 weeks ago) - they got to Sydney on a Monday. By the Friday, both had jobs (she temping -office admin) and he (got an electrician's job) - they both had nothing at all lined up when they got here. And he has since been sponsored - within a month of starting!

amy, did they move from melbourne because they could not get jobs or just did not like the place?

jank you have gone very quiet on this thread. 2 threads you attacked me on and now you wont explain yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jank you have gone very quiet on this thread. 2 threads you attacked me on and now you wont explain yourself?

Mod Stop being so dramatic, he did not 'attack' you, he said 'cry me a river'. This thread is not about you.

Okay so back on track folks, let's not get into petty arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

zweton wrote: »
    amy, did they move from melbourne because they could not get jobs or just did not like the place?

They didn't LOVE Melbourne but they'll say themselves, they hit it at the wrong time - April - September so the Winter months basically.

They left as the original plan was to spend the Summer in Sydney and move over to regional WA at the end of February on Regional Sponsored visas. But they got lucky in Sydney so the plan is to stay here now.

Both were working in Melbourne up until when they left. But did both say that there seems to be alot more work in both of their fields in Sydney as they had multiple job offers each within the first week.

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Stop being so dramatic, he did not 'attack' you, he said 'cry me a river'. This thread is not about you.

Okay so back on track folks, let's not get into petty arguments

apologies.<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

amybabes wrote: »
    They didn't LOVE Melbourne but they'll say themselves, they hit it at the wrong time - April - September so the Winter months basically.

They left as the original plan was to spend the Summer in Sydney and move over to regional WA at the end of February on Regional Sponsored visas. But they got lucky in Sydney so the plan is to stay here now.

Both were working in Melbourne up until when they left. But did both say that there seems to be alot more work in both of their fields in Sydney as they had multiple job offers each within the first week.

Hmmm, im hiting melbourne first week of March i thought this was supposed to be a good month job wise, can any of ye guys on here confirm this?
    Didnt think there would be much difference between march and april.
    What area of work are they in if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

This!!! Most people don't have a clue what it takes to dig in and look for work. Most of these are kids that grew up in the Celtic tiger, Celtic cubs I suppose one can call them. Most of them are spoiled and don't have a clue, I see them every day!

There is work out there, you just have to know how to look for it. Ill say it again. Networking is the key here and no that doesn't mean fixing a hostels internet, it means going out there talking to people face to face asking about possibilities of work. Your not at home wit mammy and daddy anymore kids, this is the real world!

Also, the visa is key, it is a holiday visa first, working visa second. We on this forum are sick and tired of reiterating this point but some people don't listen, in fact some people don't want to listen.

You were referring to a quote that was referring to my post. I said it was very difficult to find work in Melbourne and it is. I am not a 'celtic tiger cub' or anything like that, im 31 and havent lived in Ireland in 7 years. I have lots of experience in my field, but the thing restricting me is the fact im on a WHV. That is what's stopping me with 90% of applications. I do not want to work in a call centre, bar, labouring or any casual type roles, so yeah that's why it has taken me 3 months to get a job. But still, I freaked out one day and started applying for call centre and admin jobs and found it very difficult for anyone to call you back even if you start harrasing them by phone and email.

I arrived in st kilda yesterday and I have 5 interviews lined up. If you have the qualifications, skill set, experience and attitude you'll have work thrown at you

It's pretty easy to get Interviews mate, did you get a job? and if so, in what?

You were referring to a quote that was referring to my post. I said it was very difficult to find work in Melbourne and it is. I am not a 'celtic tiger cub' or anything like that, im 31 and havent lived in Ireland in 7 years. I have lots of experience in my field, but the thing restricting me is the fact im on a WHV. That is what's stopping me with 90% of applications. I do not want to work in a call centre, bar, labouring or any casual type roles, so yeah that's why it has taken me 3 months to get a job. But still, I freaked out one day and started applying for call centre and admin jobs and found it very difficult for anyone to call you back even if you start harrasing them by phone and email.

Beggars cant be choosers.

this is true i shall not be jobless while waiting for the magical call from an employer. i will be working in bars call centers anything!!!

This is true for beggers, but in my case I'm not begging.

I have enough capital to live on and I was holding out for a suitable role, i.e choosing a particular role that suited me and my experience. I'm way past working a s*it job that some Aussie won't do - it's not what I came here for. I finally have something that suits me for this moment and they have indicated an opportunity to sponsor me after 6 months.

In my case, the news outside Australia makes it out that there is a huge demand for my field, but actually being here I have realised that is not the case (maybe it is a little more the case if you have a GSMV), not for the cities anyway (and I choose not to work in the middle of nowhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

It's pretty easy to get Interviews mate, did you get a job? and if so, in what?

Restaurant work. Was offered a job as a restaurant supervisor in a 5* hotel in South Yarra yesterday.

We were blessed (me and the GF) as she was offered a job as the bar manager in the same place. By the sound of things it looks like we're going to be given a good bit of responsibility and a free rein to help run the place, as its re-branding in a few weeks. Going to be a lot of media attention from what I'm told.

Not bad for a working holiday I reckon

This is true for beggers, but in my case I'm not begging.

I have enough capital to live on and I was holding out for a suitable role, i.e choosing a particular role that suited me and my experience. I'm way past working a s*it job that some Aussie won't do - it's not what I came here for. I finally have something that suits me for this moment and they have indicated an opportunity to sponsor me after 6 months.

In my case, the news outside Australia makes it out that there is a huge demand for my field, but actually being here I have realised that is not the case (maybe it is a little more the case if you have a GSMV), not for the cities anyway (and I choose not to work in the middle of nowhere).

So your a job snob. Fair enough but just come out and say it. Sooner than later you have to realise that you are an immigrant and work/act accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

So your a job snob. Fair enough but just come out and say it. Sooner than later you have to realise that you are an immigrant and work/act accordingly.
    I disagree some people go abroad to further their careers, if i went abroad and worked in bar id be wasting my time and im sure the poster feels the same.

The only thing id say lima is to go where the work is. Life will sort itself out after that.

• Advertisement

Oh dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with waiting for a job that suits your qualifications or skills. If one can of course get a job that reflects those skill sets. But by Limas own admission those jobs were not there to be found. Sooner or later he(?) will have to pack his bags and go home, or lower expectations unless of course that job comes calling, which may have just appeared, time will tell.

What lots of people fail to realise is that people who leave Ireland to try and further their careers are immigrants. Just like all those Poles that came to Ireland during the boom. Some were massively over qualified but worked as cleaners and in shops. Its being part of what and immigrant is.

I was in the very same boat myself 3 years ago, I lowered expectations, packed shampoo into boxes, worked in a call center and then got the job I wanted. The old adage is true it is a lot easier to find work when in work. Some people think much too highly of themselves.

Advertisement