Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Might be getting ahead of myself.

• 03-11-2011 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hello ,I've been looking at the threads on the forum about the various choices people make on buying a bike and notice a few people have both MTB and Road bike.
    My main aim at the moment is getting fit and loosing weight ,cycling is not the priority.
    Lately with the weather and the lack of resistance I get on the hybrid bike (having to cycle for a long time) ,I'm not sure if I should be getting a MTB to make it easier to get out in the bad weather and muck about :)
    Maybe I should be buying a road bike in march 2012 and a half decent MTB now.

Anyone any suggestions , thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cycling should be the priority. If it isn't fun you're going to get bored, give it up and get fatter.

I don't understand your point about lack of resistance. Just cycle faster if you want more resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I should be getting a MTB to make it easier to get out in the bad weather and muck about :)

If you want to muck about on a bike in the bad weather then I can think of no better place than a road bike around the lanes of North County Dublin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

I was thinking that maybe a mountain bike would give me more work and I'd have less travelling to do.
    I don't mind long cycles ,it's just I'm thinking about the lenght of time out in the elements.
    I have a cruiser type mountain bike and have a picture of it in the bike photo thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

2 options, "Spin it to win it", increases cadence, your cycle will last longer, or as Lumen said, cycle faster, harder, longer (ie go on a longer route), at the very least makes you awesome by everyone elses standards eg

Female/Male Colleague: How was the 5km route into work in the rain?
    You: I decided to go around the long way and rope in approx. an extra 30km, just because I can!
    Female/Male Colleague: I can tell, you look really pumped, better get out of those wet clothes .
    You: Same to you, better get you out of.....

You get where this is going, either way you get fitter.

As for the bad weather, I went out in a road bike all throughout last year, at the minute you certainly don't need a MTB for the road

Good man cramcycle ,thats what I like to hear.
    Not been able to go out at the moment has me depressed ,sorry for the whinging. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If you are looking for more resistance look for some hills - if you can find a decent draggy type hill - kind of long with a manageable gradient - do some hill repeats on it.

Second thing you could do to add some resistance is to cycle into the wind and put pressure on yourself - if you go for a one hour cycle, do 35 mins into the wind and then work to get back in 25 with the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cycling a mountain bike on the road is less fun. Hard work, yes, but less fun precisely because it's hard work. You bust a gut and don't move very fast.

Proper MTBing is hard work and a better all-body workout, but for sheer calorie-burning, road cycling is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I think people on here with road and mountain bikes have the two so they can either ride on the road or off it. I wouldn't ride my mountain bike on the road - even the agricultural ones near me as I prefer riding it off road and that's where it is designed to be, and my road bike would be useless off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Get a Cyclo-Cross bike, hit the grassy trails or smooth fireroads, and when you feel like a longer road spin just put on regular road slicks! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The Royal Canal has varying surfaces from smooth asphalt to tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    Hello ,I've been looking at the threads on the forum about the various choices people make on buying a bike and notice a few people have both MTB and Road bike.
    My main aim at the moment is getting fit and loosing weight ,cycling is not the priority.
    Lately with the weather and the lack of resistance I get on the hybrid bike (having to cycle for a long time) ,I'm not sure if I should be getting a MTB to make it easier to get out in the bad weather and muck about :)
    Maybe I should be buying a road bike in march 2012 and a half decent MTB now.

Anyone any suggestions , thanks:)

Oh Boy! You obviously haven't read "The Rules" ! :D

See rule 5, 9 and 10 ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Oh Boy! You obviously haven't read "The Rules" ! :D

See rule 5, 9 and 10 ;)

Get up outta that frenchy!

:) I like ,well any others I seem to like have HPC in the name and over 4K :eek:
    377100-50.jpg

Advertisement