Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity Immigrant Visa Program

Options
  • 03-11-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am wondering can anybody help with this.

Months ago I was looking into getting a green card and did the initial/bare minimum steps about enquiring online.

This prompted a few phone calls from the relevant department about the Green Card but I decided not to look into it more as I was then offered a PhD place in Wales.

Move onto this morning and I have received an e-mail form visa-dep@dep-visa.org, U.S. Department of State saying that I am one of the 50,000 winners selected by the computer random draw from the 12.1 million entries registered in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program :confused::confused:

This is all pending on a fee of $882, to the US Embassy in the UK.

Is this a scam?

I find it hard to believe as I only filled out the very initial steps on-line...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

well, the initial steps are online, but it sounds like a scam- email addy is odd and the fee sounds wrong. Plus, the main thing is that if it is DV related, they do NOT notify you via email anymore, you must check yourself on the website whether you won. How are you supposed to send the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

By Western Union to:

Name : Robyn Gamble
    Address: 24 Grosvenor Square
    London, W1A 1AE
    United Kingdom

Seems like a scam alright since I have given them no solid info like photo's, college results etc

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Yes it's a scam

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1749.html

You will never be asked to send money, you will only be asked to bring money to your embassy interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Western Union= always scam. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

silja wrote: »
    Western Union= always scam. Sorry

Ah not disappointed or anything, was thinking that it was a scam.

Although a Green Card would have been nice :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement