Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the dog on the ferry.

• 03-11-2011 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

Just wondered if any one else had taken their dog on the ferry from Ireland to UK and had any experience of the kennels on board the ship. Our dog can be quite nervous and want to make him as comfortable as possible.. It's only a couple of hours but would be pleased to hear any experinces.

Ta
    Em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

embobolina wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondered if any one else had taken their dog on the ferry from Ireland to UK and had any experience of the kennels on board the ship. Our dog can be quite nervous and want to make him as comfortable as possible.. It's only a couple of hours but would be pleased to hear any experinces.

Ta
    Em
    i always take my dog[every year]over to ireland,only once did i put him in the ships kennels,but never again,they were locked in a room with other barking dogs so when i picked him up he was stressed out,i now always leave him in the car,a familar place.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

hi

Took my dogs on the ferry a couple of times for stud services in the UK.
    kennells are down in the car decks at the front of the ship. They are large plastic ones and not very secure, IMO.

Now I just leave the dog in the car in its own travle box. She seems much happier there. Just leave the windows open a bit.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why dont you leave the dog in your car? I wouldnt put mine in those kennels, your car is much safer and more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 little lamb

I totally agree leave him/her in the car we travel with out Lab every year for Ireland to Portugal we have to go to the UK first and always leave him in the car

On the last leg of the journey we book a pet friendly cabin and he stays with us

The kennels are way too stress full for them all that barking its madness

Hope this is helpful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 embobolina

Thanks both of you!

I forgot to add that he has been on the ferry once (on the way over here) and we left him in the car but when I realised most of the others had taken their dogs to the kennels i felt as though I was being cruel!

We will be taking him back at christmas and it's good to hear that we're not going to be doing him an injustice by leaving him in the car.

I just wish that I could stay in the car with him :(

• Advertisement

there is always somone walking about looking and checking that the cars and the animals on the car deck are ok,if there is a problem with your animal they will contact you,the kennels[on stenner line]are in a separate room that is locked and not opened untill the ferry docks,so if anything happens to your dog after it sails,you would not know until you docked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 embobolina

getz wrote: »
    there is always somone walking about looking and checking that the cars and the animals on the car deck are ok,if there is a problem with your animal they will contact you,the kennels[on stenner line]are in a separate room that is locked and not opened untill the ferry docks,so if anything happens to your dog after it sails,you would not know until you docked

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks getz. I am liking this forum already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I travel to the UK a lot with my dogs as i show them over there and my dogs always sleep in my van. When i come back down to the van, they are usually fast asleep with big sleepy heads on them so there isnt a bother on them, so your dog will be better off in his own car and surroundings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

When my lot go by ferry the stay in the car too. Mind you the other passangers might be a bit pissed off if I took up all the kennels for my 6 :D I have a Barjo tail gate guard so I wait until all the other passangers have gone up to the decks, and open my boot and lock the gate so they've plenty of air but no-one gets the chance to bother them. And I'm the one with the pointy elbows to get to the front of the queue to get back down to the car decks too!

embobolina wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know that! Thanks getz. I am liking this forum already!
    one of the crew told me that they[mostly dog lovers] would often spend a little time talking to the dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement