Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT on Industrial Estate, smoke+explosion

• 03-11-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

375319_2374088123422_1587144104_2311877_1625965108_n.jpg
    Anyone more info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

The other half is out there, says that there's been explosions and that all the factories in the area have been cleared out as a precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Teva??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Its not Teva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

No it's the liquor store :o someone said it's called Donoghues. We were evacuated and just told unlikely to go back today. Apparently there's been explosions and the fire is not under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I heard from a guy in Frentech, that some acetylene tanks exploded. Said it seemed like it was over at the WIT section on the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

A good bit of mis-information which is understandable but if someone is reading this and has a loved one working in a particular factory then they may be unduly worried so maybe only pass on the info if you are sure of it. It was in the WIT building as the title says (and some people have said). Someone was seriously injured so let the family be told and then the details can come out rather than throw around speculation. My wife's father works in the building beside where the explosion is and was lucky that her dad rang her. If she had read it here she might have gotten a bigger fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Smoke started around 9:45. Flames 9:50. Fire services arrived at 9:50. We were evacuated at 10:03ish. Big explosion at 10:10.   Some unconfirmed reports of 2 injures( minor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Area closed off until 6 at best. Gonna have my today's breakfast tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1103/waterford.html
    A man has been taken to hospital following an explosion at a storage facility on the IDA Industrial Estate in Waterford this morning.
    It is understood a gas cylinder exploded at the facility around 10am. Two more cylinders exploded while fire services were dealing with the initial blaze.
    A 200m cordon has been put in place around the building and a number of factories have been evacuated as a precautionary measure.
    It is understood the injured man was working alone in the building at the time of the explosion and he has suffered burns to his arms and face.
    Gardaí say no other building was damaged in the incident. They say the storage facility is leased by Waterford Institute of Technology and the gas cylinders are used for welding.
    Emergency services have brought the fire under control and will remain at the scene for at least the next six hours due to the volatility of the gas cylinders.
    Two entrances on the Paddy Brown's Road to the industrial estate have been closed until at least 6pm.
    A man has been taken to hospital following an explosion at a storage facility on the IDA Industrial Estate in Waterford this morning.
    It is understood a gas cylinder exploded at the facility around 10am. Two more cylinders exploded while fire services were dealing with the initial blaze.
    A 200m cordon has been put in place around the building and a number of factories have been evacuated as a precautionary measure.
    It is understood the injured man was working alone in the building at the time of the explosion and he has suffered burns to his arms and face.
    Gardaí say no other building was damaged in the incident. They say the storage facility is leased by Waterford Institute of Technology and the gas cylinders are used for welding.
    Emergency services have brought the fire under control and will remain at the scene for at least the next six hours due to the volatility of the gas cylinders.
    Two entrances on the Paddy Brown's Road to the industrial estate have been closed until at least 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is the Cleaboy entrance open? Or is it Cork road only??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Is the Cleaboy entrance open? Or is it Cork road only??

Its open, just the 2 on browns road are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Injured party gone to Cork for treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

homolumo wrote: »
    Injured party gone to Cork for treatment

Hope he makes a full recovery! :( saw the smoke earlier alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

If anyone from FAS reads this we have tomorrow off so don't bother coming in. Health and Safety authority will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Doubt that considering the incident took place at the complete other end of the industrial estate???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Plug wrote: »
    If anyone from FAS reads this we have tomorrow off so don't bother coming in. Health and Safety authority will be there.
    Are you larchville plug or do ya just like the name?

Handy day off for ya

iceage wrote: »
    Doubt that considering the incident took place at the complete other end of the industrial estate???
    Their is a FAS in the WIT as well.

@Seanybiker, dont get ya there:confused:

Their is a FAS in the WIT as well.

@Seanybiker, dont get ya there:confused:

I know a chap in larchville called plug is all

seanybiker wrote: »
    Oh right. Nope, got my username from looking around the room:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lol, simple really is the best,

Was "wall" already taken?!

• Advertisement

Hahaha brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Got mine from looking out the window :D it really is the best way to get usernames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Got mine from looking out the window :D it really is the best way to get usernames.
    You were shovelling coco beans outside the window? :confused:

You were shovelling coco beans outside the window? :confused:

Ha I thought I was the only one confused so didn't say anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Entrance from Paddy Browne's Rd is now passable.
    Fire brigade to remain on the scene overnight while remaining cylinders cool down.
    The injured party is still in Ardkeen Hospital (according to WLR FM).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

seanybiker wrote: »

I think we know the same person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

cocoshovel wrote: »

Cant beat picking usernames from bodyparts lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

I heard from a guy in Frentech, that some acetylene tanks exploded. Said it seemed like it was over at the WIT section on the estate.
    Acetylene tanks? If one of them blew it would shake the whole estate. I wouldnt say it was acetylene. Im open to correction though.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think we know the same person.

Ya know that if you know someone who knows me that automatically makes you just that bit cooler in the eyes of everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Acetylene tanks? If one of them blew it would shake the whole estate. I wouldnt say it was acetylene. Im open to correction though.

Correct!

The explosions were oxygen tanks, the acetylene tanks were cooled for 24 hours to prevent explosion, due to a chemical reaction in acetylene once heated that requires monitored cooling for at least 24 hours..

and yes, if it was acetylene tanks that blew it would have made a lot more damage!!

H

Advertisement