Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT on Industrial Estate, smoke+explosion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ya know that if you know someone who knows me that automatically makes you just that bit cooler in the eyes of everyone

I do know that. That's why I made sure to say it on a public forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Waterford City Fire Service confirmed there were two gas explosions involving oxygen and acetylene at WIT’s applied technology campus.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-injured-following-explosion-at-wit-facility-172756.html

Half liter acetylene explosion demonstration:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LwYJ8pDhc

And you could actually feel the ground shaking at the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

beazee wrote: »
    And you could actually feel the ground shaking at the estate.

Yeah, a friend's husband works in Teva and he said they didn't hear or feel the first explosion but did for the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Heathen wrote: »
    Correct!

The explosions were oxygen tanks, the acetylene tanks were cooled for 24 hours to prevent explosion, due to a chemical reaction in acetylene once heated that requires monitored cooling for at least 24 hours..

and yes, if it was acetylene tanks that blew it would have made a lot more damage!!

H

If any pressure vessels are involved in a fire it is standard practice for the fire brigade to create a cordon and spray with water and watch for 24 hours, the contents are immaterial , its the pressure will get you every time, 200/300 bar depending on Company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

You were shovelling coco beans outside the window? :confused:

County Council Shovel :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement