Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwaxed Oranges, Lemons and Grapefruit

Options
  • 03-11-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to make my own Candied Peel this year ahead of my Christmas baking.
    Does anyone know where I would go looking for Unwaxed Oranges, Lemons and Grapefruit? I have seen unwaxed Lemons in Superquinn only during the summer but not oranges or Grapefruit
    Or does anyone know how to unwax a citrus fruit? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Hi, I do it most years and if I can't find unwaxed I pour boiling water over them in the sink and give them a scrub. I reckon it comes off anyway when you are cooking them - if you change the water a couple of times when you start. It works fine for me.

PS - I HATED fruit cake until I started making my own mixed peel - it makes such a difference! Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imaging scrubbing them under a hot tap would do the trick or pop them in a bowl of boiling water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Animord wrote: »
    Hi, I do it most years and if I can't find unwaxed I pour boiling water over them in the sink and give them a scrub. I reckon it comes off anyway when you are cooking them - if you change the water a couple of times when you start. It works fine for me.

PS - I HATED fruit cake until I started making my own mixed peel - it makes such a difference! Yum!

Cheers Animord :)
    Any tips on what variety of fruit to get ie.. thin or thick skinned or does it matter? . Just worried about the pith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

lucylu wrote: »
    Cheers Animord :)
    Any tips on what variety of fruit to get ie.. thin or thick skinned or does it matter? . Just worried about the pith!

I have only used oranges and lemons - I just get healthy looking ones - you don't want them thin skinned - and you don't want to scrape out too much of the the pith - just the stringy bits. I use Darina Allen's receipe

I also don't store it in jars - I chop it all up and freeze it in small amounts - also I store the juice in those ice cube freezer bags and use it in cooking. (drink the orange juice!).

The chopping it up bit is a pain and very messy (well it is when I do it!) but well worth the effort.

Also I make loads at a time so I have it through out the year for more stuff.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Cheers Animord !
    That was the recipe I was planning to use and the split the candied Peel with my mam.
    Thanks for the advice.. I will give it a bash over the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement