Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three blind mice....

• 03-11-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

Well this post has nothing to do with blind mice but everything to do with Mice! We currently have mice in our house. Initially we used mouse traps (they got WAY to clever for them) and also Poison (was desperate to get rid of the mice at the time, bad idea though which I regret doing). After we used the poison the mice went away for a few days but they are back now, I'm not using poison again after reading up on how it works. I have only seen one mouse, tiny cute little thing, but obviously there are a lot more! Is there any humane way of keeping the mice away on a permanent basis? I have head mixed reports on those plug in things... I was thinking of getting a cat as this would surely stop the mice coming into the house in the first place?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Cat wont stop the mice, esp if they are already in. Those plug in things are a waste of time. Have one here in the house and I have caught over 15 mice in the attic directly over it. Afraid anytime one of these posts coming up trapping seems to be the quickest and most effective option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi Homerhop, thanks for the reply. I actually didnt mind using the traps too much as it was such a quick death for the mice... but the poison seems to be a different story. These mice are so clever with the traps, I have a few traps around the house & would leave cheese, bits of bacon etc on them- I would go back to the traps a couple of hours later and the cheese / bacon is gone and the traps are still set :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I use caramel from a chocolate bar, something really sticky that they can not get off easily. Also set the trap as sensitive as possible. The problem with poison is the mice will die in the walls, behind presses etc and smell after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you can figure out exactly how they're getting in and fill the holes would be your best bit. I saw a mouse get caught in a trap and it certainly wasn't a quick death at all. If you can fill the holes with wire wool and expanding foam it should be effective against the mice getting in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi TooManyDogs, Thanks for the advice. Problem with our house is that its wooden, as in like a barna shed wooden!! There would be soooooo many ways for the mice to get in, we wouldnt be able to find them all. Do you think if we got a cat it might deter the mice from coming into our house in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Either tie the bait to the trap, or use something sticky that they have to put weight on, this will ensure that they spring the trap. Also make sure that the trap is set right on the edge of the bar so it's on a hair-trigger.

The best baits I've found are; chocolate (it can be melted on to the trap), hot buttered toast (it has the same allure on mice as on people), and ham and cheese spread.

Snap traps are by far the most humane way of disposing of mice1

Advertisement