Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

Options
  • 03-11-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I started a job in the summer and in the job specs it says that I would receive a rise after probation. Another 6 people also started with me and they were offered the same from the recruitment agency that hired us. I brought this up during my probation evaluation and was told that this shouldn't have been in the specs and that the recruiter (who are one of the biggest in the country) shouldn't have put that into the job offer. My company have told myself and others that this rise won't be happening. Your expertise with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unless it's in your contract, then you have very little grounds.

If your contract doesn't state that you would get a payrise after probation, then you can't claim any entitlement to a payrise. You can claim that you were lead to believe there would be a payrise, but the company has no obligation to provide one.

On the other hand, if it is stated in your contract, then you are entitled to it.

If you haven't been provided with a contract, then you have a reasonable case that this payrise was a condition of your employment and the employer did not state otherwise. That the recruiter made a mistake is irrelevant in this case, that's the company's problem, not yours.

You do have a copy of the original job spec, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

seamus wrote: »
    Unless it's in your contract, then you have very little grounds.

If your contract doesn't state that you would get a payrise after probation, then you can't claim any entitlement to a payrise. You can claim that you were lead to believe there would be a payrise, but the company has no obligation to provide one.

On the other hand, if it is stated in your contract, then you are entitled to it.

If you haven't been provided with a contract, then you have a reasonable case that this payrise was a condition of your employment and the employer did not state otherwise. That the recruiter made a mistake is irrelevant in this case, that's the company's problem, not yours.

You do have a copy of the original job spec, right? :)

I have numerous emails that state the original specs, although none are from the company I am employed by. They are all from the recruiter. I have to check my contract, but tbh I don't think it states anything about a rise. Thanks for the reply

Advertisement