Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

J o e wrote: »
    As Poxyshamrock noticed - Spanish Arch has disappeared off the list. I hadn't seen any work started for this?

There's a stand just around the corner in New Dock St just beside Lower Merchants Rd. Probably a lot safer for bikes to be there than in the middle of Bucky Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There's a stand just around the corner in New Dock St just beside Lower Merchants Rd. Probably a lot safer for bikes to be there than in the middle of Bucky Plaza.

True but if that is the case then the station that is NOT to be built here should be relocated to some were like the Small Crane, Henry St, Mill St, Bohermore etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Can anyone remind me what hours the stands stop at at night? I remember seeing it somewhere but can't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The scheme runs from 05.30 to 00.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

And all the while the sh1teheap theyve created outside the library sits there.

All the small poles have been removed from here this morning, finally getting rid of this eyesore.

• Advertisement

All the small poles have been removed from here this morning, finally getting rid of this eyesore.

Any idea were the station is been moved to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Any idea were the station is been moved to?

Nope.

So we now are missing 4 Bike Stations that were submitted during the planning process. City Library, NUIG/UCHG, Tourist Office and Spanish Arch.

The UCHG/NUIG station is a big loss. Was a large station, location on the edge of the scheme and serves two busy locations.
    Would perhaps be an idea to relocate the proposed City Library to somewhere on the edge of the scheme- like the Small Crane?
    Tourist Office Station is very close to the Fairgreen Station - might be better if it was further out on College Road? Bohermore?

Did we ever find out who objected to the library station, and why?

Did we ever find out who objected to the library station, and why?

No it's all very hush hush!
    Can't imagine Library objecting, no parking was removed.
    Church? Friary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dole office?

Dole office?

Unlikely, they're supposed to be moving out to beside the Coach Station sometime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

No it's all very hush hush!
    Can't imagine Library objecting, no parking was removed.
    Church? Friary?

Who owns the building the library is in?

Good question. No idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

O'Malley Construction/Group own Hynes Building
    according to planning applications over a twenty year period

snubbleste wrote: »
    O'Malley Construction/Group own Hynes Building
    according to planning applications over a twenty year period

Ta Snu

<speculation>

What are the chances they own some of the space that was to be occupied by the stand?

</speculation>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

<speculation> </speculation>
    zero
    As the bike stand was on the public road.

snubbleste wrote: »
    zero
    As the bike stand was on the public road.

Curiouser and curiouser

How about a thread title change to "Galway Bikeshare" or something similar. The symposium was years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

So we now are missing 4 Bike Stations that were submitted during the planning process. City Library, NUIG/UCHG, Tourist Office and Spanish Arch. The UCHG/NUIG station is a big loss.

curious thing about that location is that I've rarely seen a car parked outside those houses early in the morning (6.45ish) unless they're all gone to work by that stage....and the reason for the removal of the stands was the negative impact on overnight parking availability

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    curious thing about that location is that I've rarely seen a car parked outside those houses early in the morning (6.45ish) unless they're all gone to work by that stage....and the reason for the removal of the stands was the negative impact on overnight parking availability

Tend to agree with you. Often cycle by there on way home from work around 23h30 and there is often no cars parked at all at that proposed location. Have to ask Cllr Billy Cameron on that one. He was in the media at the time driving the UCHG / NUIG Bike Station removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

Tend to agree with you. Often cycle by there on way home from work around 23h30 and there is often no cars parked at all at that proposed location. Have to ask Cllr Billy Cameron on that one. He was in the media at the time driving the UCHG / NUIG Bike Station removal.

Dont meant to nitpick but has anyone noticed a lot of bikes in poor shape these days? Maybe just my bad luck, but most bikes ive tried recently have had gear, saddle or tyre problems.

Dont meant to nitpick but has anyone noticed a lot of bikes in poor shape these days? Maybe just my bad luck, but most bikes ive tried recently have had gear, saddle or tyre problems.

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Did you report them? When you say problems, were you still able to cycle? What type of problem, I've found in Dublin that sometimes the gears click a little before settling into gear but nothing major, never had an issue with a saddle or tyre though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I tried a couple recently, during a frustrating trip across the city.

The only problem I encountered with the bikes was a wet saddle on one. Not surface moisture, which could be wiped off, but rain soaked into the saddle.

At least I think it was rainwater. :eek:

And as some say in sailing, there's nothing worse than a wet arse.

I did encounter another cyclist using one of the CZ bikes, and I could hear a loud high-pitched whine. From the bike, not the cyclist, I hasten to add. I don't know what the cause is, but it seems to be a common 'fault'.

I didn't feel the front basket was of much use for carrying stuff. I had a folder with me, and I was sure I was going to lose it. I love the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah the gearing is very handy alright. I don't like the saddle - the groove in the middle tends to collect rainwater!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yeah the gearing is very handy alright. I don't like the saddle - the groove in the middle tends to collect rainwater!

The groove in the middle of the saddle, you mean? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The groove in the middle of the saddle, you mean? ;)

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

tumblr_mcuusrpzD11qf6o97o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

Interesting article in todays Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/apr/28/end-of-the-car-age-how-cities-outgrew-the-automobile

Sharing is the new paradigm of urban mobility. Tomorrow, you will judge a city according to what it is adding to sharing. The more that we have people sharing transportation modes, public space, information and new services, the more attractive the city will be.

Advertisement