Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

J o e wrote: »
    It hasn't been operational for a full year yet (nearly) so I'd say you've still got an active subscription, which it seems will renew automatically unless you cancel it.

Edit: Actually it has just passed the year mark! But heads up on the auto-renewal.

Actually, if you are registered, you would have received an email by now to inform you of the upcoming (albeit automatic) renewal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Got the email. Signed up on the 11/11/14 but strangely it doesn't expire until 23/11/15, maybe it activated on the first use, it was a couple of weeks before I got into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Why are they cycling on the foot path..... The problem is in the issue. Stay on the road or cycle path. No bikes shouldb e on the prom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Honestly, thanks for the reply but I really don't agree. I constantly see people cycling on the prom and it just drives me nuts. Plus to be honest, at the height of summer, with the amount of traffic in salthill, I don't think it's terribly too safe to cycle along there. I know of two pals who have been knocked off theri bikes by people opening doors without checking for cyclists.

Not being smart but have you cycled along there? I know it seems like a wide road but when there are cars parked everywhere, it's not really that safe.

If you took out the on-street car parking on the prom side and put in two way bike lanes it would solve the problem. Many sea front promenades in Europe use this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

If you took out the on-street car parking on the prom side and put in two way bike lanes it would solve the problem. Many sea front promenades in Europe use this model.

Of course the cyclists being pricks is due to cars. Always cars.

• Advertisement

Of course the cyclists being pricks is due to cars. Always cars.

No need for this childish nonsense.
    Just offering a solution that is a "copy and paste" from similiar promenades that exist in Europe and even further afield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

No need for this childish nonsense.
    Just offering a solution that is a "copy and paste" from similiar promenades that exist in Europe and even further afield.

If the idea of Galwegians having facilities like other Europeans turns some people's stomachs then Chicago (in the US actually) also has an extensive lakefront walking and cycling trail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Lakefront_Trail

monument wrote: »
    Because most on-street public bicycle schemes work when stations are generally around 300-400 metres away from each other. This isn't just a personal opinion -- it's what bicycle share planners and operators say.

This is mainly because when you're leaving a bicycle back or taking one away the docking station should have alternative stations within walking distance. Otherwise a lack of bikes or a lack of spaces is a far larger issue.

So, stations are only in clusters, with distances of 300-400 between them -- maybe a bit shorter in core, high demand areas but rarely up to 500 metres.

This isnt an issue in Galway as the bikes are not being used. It would be better to try something different in an effort to increase demand. If it works you can backfill in the gaps.

The quick release saddle clamps could do with replacing on a lot of these bikes, they've seized up and don't support a raised saddle anymore.

Also with you "report" a bike there should be an option to leave a short comment as to why.
    This isnt an issue in Galway as the bikes are not being used. It would be better to try something different in an effort to increase demand. If it works you can backfill in the gaps.

Agreed, a few large long distance stations with more bikes and extra empty space capacity would be worth trying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

General mod note: these tit for tat digs between a few of the same posters in cycling/road related threads really has to stop, if you're unable to make your point without name calling then back away from the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Not being smart but have you cycled along there? I know it seems like a wide road but when there are cars parked everywhere, it's not really that safe.

I cycled in Galway for over 10 years, 4 of which were commuting to west to east via Salthill.
    • Lots of people cycle this way because I'm always overtaking or being overtaken by someone along that route.
    • Traffic in Salthill only really becomes problematic for me during the occasional period of good sunshine we sometimes get. But then it's gridlock for everyone and you just have to take it a bit slower along the prom.
    • Parked cars can sometimes be an issue but this can usually be avoided by having good lighting on your bike (strong enough to be visible during daylight hours).
    Nowhere in Galway can truly be considered cycling friendly, but I would have personally felt Salthill to be a lot safer than the alternatives (Seamus Quirke, Taylors Hill).

Fully agree that cycling on the prom is annoying and unsafe at times, but if anything that just demonstrates why more cycling infrastructure would be beneficial in Salthill. Getting more bikes on the road is the start of that process, safety in numbers and all that.

Spotted this on the BikeShare FAQ...
    Can I use my Leap Card to use the Coca-Cola Zero® Bikes service?

Not yet, but it will be coming soon and annual subscribers will be able to use their Leap Card to hire a Coca-Cola Zero® Bike

That will be a nice move if they integrate the bike scheme with the Leap Card.

IrishCycle.com have some details about the expansion plans for the bike scheme;
    http://irishcycle.com/2015/12/04/revealed-details-of-planned-galway-bikes-expansion/
    Stations locations set for detailed design:

(i) Seamus Quirke Road (30 bike capacity) *
    (ii) Hospital (40 bike capacity)
    (iii) O Shaughnessy Bridge (40 bike capacity)
    (iv) Claddagh /Nimmo Pier (30 bike capacity) *
    (v) NUIG Main entrance (40 bike capacity)
    (vi) Bodkin Junction (30 bike capacity)
    (vii) Sailin (Dublin Road) (40 bike capacity)
    (viii) Glenina (Dublin Road) (40 bike capacity)
    * = Includes space for further expansion in design

Galway-Bikes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Fully agree that cycling on the prom is annoying and unsafe at times, but if anything that just demonstrates why more cycling infrastructure would be beneficial in Salthill. Getting more bikes on the road is the start of that process, safety in numbers and all that.

I absolutely agree that more cycling infrastructure would be more beneficial in Salthill. I think it's an absolute missed opportunity in many terms.

However, while it's great to see more bikes on the road, I think that there is a far greater chance that more people will cycle on the prom. Particularly if they are "tourist cyclists" that seldom cycle. They would be far more likely to cycle on the prom due to lack of road skills and lack of experience of cycling in urban traffic. So I think it's naive at best to call for more city bikes before proper cycling infrastructure.

IrishCycle.com have some details about the expansion plans for the bike scheme;
    http://irishcycle.com/2015/12/04/revealed-details-of-planned-galway-bikes-expansion/

The size of the proposed stations is interesting. All are Big stations. Not sure about the Glenina station. It is isolated from other stations - but does cater for GMIT staff/students. If implemented it would really get larger numbers cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The size of the proposed stations is interesting. All are Big stations. Not sure about the Glenina station. It is isolated from other stations - but does cater for GMIT staff/students. If implemented it would really get larger numbers cycling.

Glenina is not isolated, it's only a few hundred metres from Sailin beside the wellpark retail park

none for salthill??

It looks like they picked locations for daily local use over tourist use - not a bad idea. They need commuters for this to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

+1 to the comment above.

The type of tourist who is going to enjoy the Salhtill prom is unlikely to get there by bicycle. They will be using taxis, and for the adventurous ones, buses. The ones inclined to bicycle to get to places will be going to further-away locations - at very least Silverstrand, more likely places in Connemara.

It looks like they picked locations for daily local use over tourist use - not a bad idea. They need commuters for this to survive.
    +1 to the comment above.

The type of tourist who is going to enjoy the Salhtill prom is unlikely to get there by bicycle. They will be using taxis, and for the adventurous ones, buses. The ones inclined to bicycle to get to places will be going to further-away locations - at very least Silverstrand, more likely places in Connemara.

Do you think nobody lives in salthill? At no stage did I suggest it would be for tourist use, the one in claddagh will be a dead loss unless it's combined with grattan park, and the park behind seapoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Do you think nobody lives in salthill? At no stage did I suggest it would be for tourist use, the one in claddagh will be a dead loss unless it's combined with grattan park, and the park behind seapoint.

This. I am sure the many residents of Salthill would use the scheme if a station were provided locally. There are lots of people living in apartments who I reckon would find it useful, especially the NUI Galway students who are not currently served by a bus route from Salthill to Newcastle. Plenty of NUI Galway staff living in Salthill too.

I wrongly assumed the calls here for Salthill were to visit the prom and trips to the beach in the "summer".

I know well that people live in Salthill, as I myself live in Salthill! At the moment I use the bike scheme as far as Father Burke Road, stations near Grattan Beach, central Salthill and somewhere along the Lwr Salthill Road would be great additions.

This. I am sure the many residents of Salthill would use the scheme if a station were provided locally. There are lots of people living in apartments who I reckon would find it useful, especially the NUI Galway students who are not currently served by a bus route from Salthill to Newcastle. Plenty of NUI Galway staff living in Salthill too.

Agreed. Actually in Galway City as a whole, Salthill has the highest levels of bike commuters when looking at the CSO data. If the 8 station expansion is a success could see it been expanded to Sathill. This proposed expansion looks to be very much geared at the 3rd level institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wrongly assumed the calls here for Salthill were to visit the prom and trips to the beach in the "summer".

And I made the same assumption - based on many comments seen here about making the scheme useful to tourists.

FWIW, I've found with my own public transport initiative that many people assume tourists and students are major customers. They ain't. People who are moving or have moved here are. Along with people going to places for some sort of business purpose.

Interesting thought: if Salthill already has the highest concentration of cyclist-residents, then should it get more or less stations? They'll be amenable to cycling for sure - but won't they take their own bike for free, rather than a rental?

Interesting thought: if Salthill already has the highest concentration of cyclist-residents, then should it get more or less stations? They'll be amenable to cycling for sure - but won't they take their own bike for free, rather than a rental?

I think it would encourage more to cycle. The roads network in Salthill and to the city lend themselves to cycling. The old engineers new best.
    It is a very cheap rental. Only €10 per year is probably cheaper or practically similar to the running costs of a regular run of the mill city bike. Worth considering if one is a non-bike owner in a scheme area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

People who have their own bikes often use public bikes as well for various reasons. For instance, they might only want to travel one-way by bike. Or, given the poor bike-parking facilities in Galway city, bike owners might prefer to use a public bike for trips to town and thereby not have to worry about parking it, while saving their own bike for the daily cross-town commute to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-public-bike-scheme-usage-way-behind-urban-centres/

Pretty terrible figures. Any prospect of new docking stations in areas that would capture commuters?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-public-bike-scheme-usage-way-behind-urban-centres/

Pretty terrible figures. Any prospect of new docking stations in areas that would capture commuters?

Outside NUIG like originally planned? Small Crane and UCHG would be 3 locations that would start with.

Prospect Hill Station should be relocated. (Its on the wrong side of the road for starters)
    City Hall need to do something about all the one way streets. Need to install cycle contra flow lanes/paths.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Outside NUIG like originally planned? Small Crane and UCHG would be 3 locations that would start with.

Prospect Hill Station should be relocated. (Its on the wrong side of the road for starters)
    City Hall need to do something about all the one way streets. Need to install cycle contra flow lanes/paths.

While they're at it some stations at GMIT, newcastle, westside, salthill, wellpark and tirellan, with bikelanes straight into the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

On a recent trip to Galway I was surprised to find that there are almost no bike lanes and certainly no provision for contraflow. Even Waterford has a better set up for cyclists, despite not having a bike scheme and that's saying something.

Why is it so bad in Galway? expanding the scheme out a bit is good, but the fundamentals, i.e. good bike lanes and some contraflow need to be done to accommodate all cyclists, not just bike scheme users.

Advertisement