Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

NUIG Kingfisher station is looking ready to go too. 40 spaces.

414278.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

J o e wrote: »
    NUIG Kingfisher station is looking ready to go too. 40 spaces.

Did they take out the only covered bike parking spot around to put that in? Could be a little further up, haven't been there in a bit.

The new "Glenina" stand beside GMIT has been added to the map and they were deploying bikes on it this afternoon. Still showing offline on the map but looks ready to go.

The new Glenina station is now showing as online with 2 bikes and 36 stands.
    Did they take out the only covered bike parking spot around to put that in? Could be a little further up, haven't been there in a bit.

Can't remember if there was anything in that spot, but I think there's a covered bike stand beside the side carpark of Kingfisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Cowboys Ted.
    Obviously had a prior licensing agreement on the initial docking stations and thought lets just copy them rather than negotiate an extension.
    Who is overseeing these projects and allowing this sort of crap to get to this point?

Obviously had a prior licensing agreement on the initial docking stations and thought lets just copy them rather than negotiate an extension.

But Tracetel are a member of the consortium (Telfourth Ltd) which was meant to be rolling out the extension so surely they should have been in on the planning and decision making.

So Telfourth Ltd is made up of Tracetel, Telclic Ltd and West Ireland Cycling, of those Tracetel and West Ireland Cycling have been suing the consortium. Sounds like an awful mess.

Very unusual it is only covered in the Sun? No mention on IT, Independent, RTE or the Connacht Tribune?

This is covered in the Tribune yesterday
    http://connachttribune.ie/expansion-bike-scheme-stalls-due-action-locking-mechanisms-090/
    "
    The spokesperson for the National Transport Authority said that it was now up to the courts to deal with the issue.
    “We will deal with this when it comes to the High Court – it will be dealt with by the courts and we will deal with it on that basis,” he said.
    "

Last week I noticed they were working on the bike station on Lough Atalia (next to the playground behind the Huntsman). All the dock posts appeared to be opened, looked like they could have been removing the disputed locking mechanism from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Some details of the case can be found at courts.ie , but the website looks like it's not designed to be useable for plebs like us.

The case is entitled:
    "TRACETEL S A -V- TELFOURTH LTD & ANOR 2017/3425 P"

(I think ANOR means an additional defendant, and the addtitional defendent is the National Transport Authority)

Hugh Cregan and Jean Emery are listed as Deponents (I think this means they said something to the court)

It looks like there is (or was) be something scheduled in Chancery Court 5 on the 29th of May, and that there may be something listed for the Commercial court on 20th July.

Date Number Title Solicitor
    17/05/2017 0 Notice of Court Motion Last Return Date 20/07/2017 COMMERCIAL LIST MOTIONS
    15/05/2017 0 Affidavits Deponent HUGH CREGAN
    04/05/2017 0 Memo Entry of Appearance Solicitor GALLIGAN JOHNSTON
    20/04/2017 0 Memo Entry of Appearance Solicitor MC CANN FITZGERALD
    13/04/2017 0 Affidavits Deponent JEAN EMERY
    13/04/2017 0 Notice of Court Motion Last Return Date 29/05/2017 Chancery Court 5

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

May have been addressed on here already but can anyone tell me why there isn't a bike station anywhere in Salthill? surely the one area where you might want to trip out to. Is it because people would be tempted to cycle on the prom?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

daphne wrote: »
    May have been addressed on here already but can anyone tell me why there isn't a bike station anywhere in Salthill? surely the one area where you might want to trip out to. Is it because people would be tempted to cycle on the prom?
    Has been addresed many times here. Use the "Search This Thread" facility.

And no, the answer isn't because people might cycle on the prom.

daphne wrote: »
    May have been addressed on here already but can anyone tell me why there isn't a bike station anywhere in Salthill?

In summary, it's best practice not to have isolated stations in a shared bike scheme - you'd leave someone stuck if they cycled out to Salthill to find no available docking spots. The scheme would have to extend out that direction with multiple stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Thanks for this clarification, J o e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Sailin, Welpark was supposed to get a station but no sign of anything being done there. Anyone know what happened there?

I suspect that one might have been moved to Lough Atalia Road (beside the playground behind The Huntsman). I hadn't heard of one due for Lough Atalia Road so was surprised to see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I suspect that one might have been moved to Lough Atalia Road (beside the playground behind The Huntsman). I hadn't heard of one due for Lough Atalia Road so was surprised to see it there.

Rats, I'm living in Wellpark and was really looking forward to this at my doorstep.

yaledo wrote: »
    Some details of the case can be found at courts.ie , but the website looks like it's not designed to be useable for plebs like us.

The case is entitled:
    "TRACETEL S A -V- TELFOURTH LTD & ANOR 2017/3425 P"

(I think ANOR means an additional defendant, and the addtitional defendent is the National Transport Authority)

Hugh Cregan and Jean Emery are listed as Deponents (I think this means they said something to the court)

It looks like there is (or was) be something scheduled in Chancery Court 5 on the 29th of May, and that there may be something listed for the Commercial court on 20th July.

Date Number Title Solicitor
    17/05/2017 0 Notice of Court Motion Last Return Date 20/07/2017 COMMERCIAL LIST MOTIONS
    15/05/2017 0 Affidavits Deponent HUGH CREGAN
    04/05/2017 0 Memo Entry of Appearance Solicitor GALLIGAN JOHNSTON
    20/04/2017 0 Memo Entry of Appearance Solicitor MC CANN FITZGERALD
    13/04/2017 0 Affidavits Deponent JEAN EMERY
    13/04/2017 0 Notice of Court Motion Last Return Date 29/05/2017 Chancery Court 5

There were updates to this case on the 29th (Monday). Any legal eagles out there able to decipher what's happening with it? I'm guessing we'll be waiting now until 20th July?

418756.png

I think FH 2D means its scheduled "For Hearing" for 2 days, presumably 20-21 July in the commercial court.

• Advertisement

I think FH 2D means its scheduled "For Hearing" for 2 days, presumably 20-21 July in the commercial court.

This court hearing should be happening today and tomorrow - stay tuned. Hopefully we'll get access to the new bike stations before the end of the summer!

Thanks Joe for that. The additional Stations for Galway are badly needed
    New sponsor announced today for Dublin (+Dublin getting 15 new stations as well)
    "
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/20/dublin-city-council-boss-says-sustainable-transport-vital-as-council-shuts-cycle-path-for-u2-concert/
    "

Adjourned again until 23 October 2017 (I think)

Ah lads. This is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Most likely. There's no defined shorthand among the High Court registrars so it's a bit of a "reading the tea leaves" experience.
    Adjourned again until 23 October 2017 (I think)
    Seemed to have been a few affidavits going back and forth over the last 6-8 weeks. It was unlikely to have been heard anyway given how close today is to the end of the legal term.

There seems to be some issue with it being admitted to the Commercial High Court List (which is a fast track list). This points towards one side wanting it disposed with quickly and the other being opposed to this.

Lots of bikes at Glenina last evening; the app shows some of the new stations as being on-line.

Lots of bikes at Glenina last evening; the app shows some of the new stations as being on-line.

Its great to see just before the academic year starts, should see huge usage from that station heading towards town.

On the flipside, I pity anyone who cycles out only to find the station full from other users. they'll have no choice but to cycle back to the Huntsman to lock up at Lough Atalia and walk back up to GMIT. I'm hoping the GMIT station is large enough to prevent that happening

Out of curiosity I checked the timings and its 5 mins to cycle from Glenina back to the Lough Atlia station, but a 17 min walk back again to Glenina. Its possible the young fit yokes could shave a few mins off that, but you would still be looking at 15-20 mins of a round trip. Not ideal and thats 3-4 times the recommended distance between stations

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its great to see just before the academic year starts, should see huge usage from that station heading towards town.

Timing will be interesting, though. What time of day do you expect that station to see a lot of use?

Huge numbers of people currently catch the 405 bus to GMIT in the mornings. Far fewer are spotted catching the 405 back into town. I've never quite understood why this is ... do they all go back on the 409 because there's (tiny) bus shelter there?

I'd see most heading towards it for the 9am start of lectures. Although, there might be a big take up of people cycling into town too for the 9am start of work so it could balance out nicely. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Don't know if this has been mentioned but 3 of the new stations are gone live. They moved the locking mechanisms from other stations to these new ones and deactivated the stations they were take out of. Woodquay and bottom of eyre sq is two of them.
    Bodkin, Dangan and Bon Secour are gone live.

Advertisement