Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends and joining clubs

• 03-11-2011 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

I have recently moved to Roundwood with my husband from near Manchester in England and I am wondering if any one knows of any clubs or other things I can become involved in, in an effort to make friends.

We have made a few new friends in the pubs but they are mainly all quite a bit older than me (i am 33) and although they are all lovely and it is nice to chat, we don't really have much in common. (I need to find people to do girly things with, like go for coffee/go shopping etc) It's also quite costly having to go to the pubs to make friends.

Luckily I have transport so I can venture a bit further afield.

Any one have any ideas.

Thanks Em x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Don't know if it's your scene or not but if you're homesick Bray have very active Manchester City and Manchester United supporters clubs:)

(They've also got active Liverpool and Arsenal clubs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 embobolina

Thanks Brayblue, It's not really my scene but thanks for the info - it's interesting to know x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The East Coast Shooting Club have their range in Roundwood if you are into target shooting, clay pidgeon etc.

Here's a link: http://www.eastcoastshootingclub.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Set Dancing in Kavanagh's on Thursday nights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Roundwood.ICA
    Contact.Kay Clinton.......012818102...meets 2nd Tues of month

• Advertisement

www.icawicklow.org/
    ICA = Irish Countrywomens Association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

You could also try "Weekend Walkers" app on Facebook. Most walks start near your back garden anyway. Great way to see terrific scenery too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 liteheart

Do you have kids? If you have pre-school kids there's a playgroup in the parish hall on Thursday's. I've 3 lo's and moved to Roundwood a few months ago and I'm finding it hard to get to know people too so if you've got lo's and want to go along to the playgroup pm me and i'd be happy to meet up with you (or if you don't have kids and don't mind getting to know a SAHM pm me either).

Thank you all for the suggestions.. Liteheart I will PM you now. x

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭balkanhawk

Hi em,

Have you ever played Badminton. Wicklow has a number of teams for all levels. If you PM I can pass on some details and some of the social activities they undertake outside of the sport.

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭balkanhawk

Here is a link to a facebook fan page for anyone who is interested.

Nomads Badminton, Bray - Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think there's actually a Roundwood Badminton club - google will give contact details

No - Badminton is not something i've ever done actually! Do you have to be very good to join though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Izzy j

Anyone know of a ballroom,salsa or argentine tango classes near Wicklow town ,bray or graystones for beginners. Have been deeply effected by strictly come dancing and dying to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well come to Wicklow

Wouldn't mind a bit of Zumba! If any one knows of any classes x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

embobolina wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a bit of Zumba! If any one knows of any classes x

Monday nights in the Shoreline Greystones is the only one i know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Hi and welcome! hope you have settled in well so far.

A friend of mine Stephanie, owns The Yarn Room wool & craft shop in Ashford (opposite Mount Usher). It is fab and there are girly nights on a Thursday from 6.30 to 9pm. You might take up knitting or crochet and honestly it's not grannyish!

You will definitely meet a good network of people there and maybe make something fab in the meantime. It is open 7 days but check times on their website. www.theyarnroom.com

Well worth a visit!

Advertisement