Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to get reading list for 1st year subjects?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going back and doing an omnibus arts degree next year, anyone know were i could get the reading list for

economics
    history
    politics and international relations
    sociology

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Cool yer boots, you've nearly a year before you'll even see the inside of the college :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

lol, i'm gonna have to read something so may as well read up :P

You're better off getting a good novel, university reading lists tend not to be the most thrilling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

lol you want me eternally uneducated and a peasant so i wont rise up against you admit it!

ronano wrote: »
    lol you want me eternally uneducated and a peasant so i wont rise up against you admit it!

I'm sure those who didn't attend college will be delighted to hear that they're 'uneducated peasants' :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

OK so serious answer time...reading lists can be awkward to get. Not all Schools produce official reading lists for the various degrees. But your best bet will be to contact the relevant School Offices. Tell them you are thinking of doing an Arts degree and would like to sample the material you would potentially be studying.
    The Arts Programme Office would also be a good place to contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wouldn't recommend it. I had read a couple of books on my list before College and it really has hurt my motivation to read them again, which if I was doing a subject where the detail is important (arts potentially (?)), I would have to as I can't remember a lot of it at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

ronano wrote: »

No offence but if you are going to study sociology you aren't gonna rise anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Go to the School of English Drama and Film page on the UCD website and they have the reading list for most years. Other schools may be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Well, if you want first year Intro to Political theory the three main books are:

The Politics by Aristotle
    On Liberty by John Stewart Mill
    The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Frederick Engles

And all of them are out of copyright so they are available online - Project Gutenburg has Mill, Marxists.com has the manifesto and Aristotle can be found somewhere!

Though I think AdamD's right when it comes to reading them... though if you want to be all college studenty without the hassle of being one you should be reading the Communist Manifesto in a nicely pretentious manner while wearing a beret... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Though I think AdamD's right when it comes to reading them... though if you want to be all college studenty without the hassle of being one you should be reading the Communist Manifesto in a nicely pretentious manner while wearing a beret... ;)

I imagine the poster is probably more interested in finding out what would be covered in each area to see where exactly his interests lay. So I doubt he will religiously work through every single text. It's probably just to get a taster for the subject areas.

Plus if you genuinely found an area you love, re-reading would not be that big of a deal. It's not like they will all be dull text-books. Arts encompasses so many topics and plenty of books will be open to re-reading.

Advertisement