Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Xbox

Options
  • 03-11-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

Got an Xbox a few days ago and have some questions as a complete Noob!

The version I have is 4GB - can I attach a HDD (I have a spare 60GB drive in a drawer somewhere) and use that to store stuff? I know it will pick up photos and music etc but can I download some game demos and store game data if my 4GB runs out?

The power Block - I don't know if I got a dud but my power block is very noisy. The Xbox itself is almost silent but the power block seems to have cooling fans in it and they make a whirring noise that is getting on my nerves - If i turn the TV down below 10 or 12 volume setting we can hear the fans whizzing away behind our TV cabinet
    Is this normal?

I can get it to see all the music stored on my PC/server but for videos and DVDs that I have converted to be on the PC it only seems to scan a My Photos and Recorded TV folder on the PC/Server - how can i specify which folders to monitor?

Only getting to know the machine still and so far its great - I see there is some dashboard update on the way that looks good too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

I'm afraid you can't use your old 60gb hard drive on the newer slim. You can,however,purchase a hard drive for the slim online. You can always sell the old hard drive on Adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

punk77 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you can't use your old 60gb hard drive on the newer slim. You can,however,purchase a hard drive for the slim online. You can always sell the old hard drive on Adverts.ie.

Maybe I explained incorrectly - its just a regular portable HDD (Western Digital I think) and is formatted to NFTS I believe but I can reformat if needed. Its not an Xbox Hard Drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Maybe I explained incorrectly - its just a regular portable HDD (Western Digital I think) and is formatted to NFTS I believe but I can reformat if needed. Its not an Xbox Hard Drive

WOuld really depend on the quality of the drive, for actually playing games from it, as it is possible to format it from the xbox to do soI would not recommend it and the xbox will likely tell you it's not suitable when it tests it, the xbox will only format 16gb of space for use so it can be used for storage of saves etc.

As for the power supply is it overheating ? Should not be making that noise, mine is whisper quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

calex71 wrote: »
    WOuld really depend on the quality of the drive, for actually playing games from it, as it is possible to format it from the xbox to do soI would not recommend it and the xbox will likely tell you it's not suitable when it tests it, the xbox will only format 16gb of space for use so it can be used for storage of saves etc.

OK found a video here and looks very straight forward - will try later and post results
    http://youtu.be/5I49Fy04OHI
    calex71 wrote: »
    As for the power supply is it overheating ? Should not be making that noise, mine is whisper quiet.

Not overheating - just sounds like its about to take off - maybe I should return it as its not ideal when trying to watch a Movie or Sky etc as its really loud (as in about 3 times as loud as the whurrr you get off a cheap DVD player. - Maybe I should measure the decibel level

Advertisement